Would you take a 3 yr approach of 5 yr approach for this team?

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
think people are way to low on this teams current prospects. We are set at d for years. Have peka and
3 solid goalie prospects. A few good forward prospects and a couple good young guys up front. This team has the best young core signed up on d in the nhl. All we need is a first line center. And polie not to repeat last years off season. Stantsy to me is our best chance this year.

That's pretty much the way I feel about it. The back end is in place. Let Forsberg develop in the minors until he's really ready so he can contribute as soon as he comes up. Add a good center prospect or if possible sign someone like Stastny in free agency or put together a trade involving prospects and draft picks to get him.

Forsberg-Stastny-Wilson
Smith-Legwand-Hornqvist

That's not a bad top six at all. That's a top six that can win some games in front of a solid D and goalie. If Legwand has to be traded to get some more youth, put Fisher or Cullen on that second line until there's a younger, more talented prospect to go in that spot.

In 2-3 years I really think the defense will be one of the top units in the league. There's a bit of a question as to who will step up to be the second pairing guy with Klein (although I expect it to be Jones), but:

Weber-Josi
Jones-Klein
Ekholm-Ellis
Bartley

There's a TON of talent in that group. They just need experience. In 2-3 years Weber will still be in his prime, along with Klein. Josi will be coming into his. Ellis, Ekholm and Jones will all have more experience. There is a good combination of size, speed, and puck-moving ability on every one of those pairings. A couple of years of seasoning and with a healthy Rinne behind them, they could dominate.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Stastny isn't going to come to Nashville. There is a 99.9% chance he signs with the Avs again and they have the cap space to do it easily. If that .1% chance happens there is no way we can afford him with all the money we handed out this past offseason. He is having a really good year and is making 6.6m? I think. He probably won't get that much but it won't be far off from that. Trust me, I would love to see Stastny here in Nashville but it is just a pipe dream...

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
That's pretty much the way I feel about it. The back end is in place. Let Forsberg develop in the minors until he's really ready so he can contribute as soon as he comes up. Add a good center prospect or if possible sign someone like Stastny in free agency or put together a trade involving prospects and draft picks to get him.

Forsberg-Stastny-Wilson
Smith-Legwand-Hornqvist

That's not a bad top six at all. That's a top six that can win some games in front of a solid D and goalie. If Legwand has to be traded to get some more youth, put Fisher or Cullen on that second line until there's a younger, more talented prospect to go in that spot.

In 2-3 years I really think the defense will be one of the top units in the league. There's a bit of a question as to who will step up to be the second pairing guy with Klein (although I expect it to be Jones), but:

Weber-Josi
Jones-Klein
Ekholm-Ellis
Bartley

There's a TON of talent in that group. They just need experience. In 2-3 years Weber will still be in his prime, along with Klein. Josi will be coming into his. Ellis, Ekholm and Jones will all have more experience. There is a good combination of size, speed, and puck-moving ability on every one of those pairings. A couple of years of seasoning and with a healthy Rinne behind them, they could dominate.

In 2-3 years I think it will look more like this if we keep the players we have right now.

Josi -Weber
Ekholm - Jones
Ellis - Klein
Bartley

I can see this d-core being one of if not the best in the NHL down the road. D isn't our issue though right now. It is our inconsistant scoring and goaltending that is killing us...

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I'm sure Ellis will be ready to break out by then right?

I have yet to miss watching a single game this season and I really think Ellis is playing his best hockey this season. While his minutes were very protected at the start of the season they have given him more and more as of late and last I checked he has the best +/- out of all out d-core.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I have come around lately on Ellis. He can be used effectively-- perhaps it is the D coaching change, he is playing much smarter and being used effectively. Also have to say that Ekholm has really looked solid last few games. Last night especially he might have been the most noticeable D man behind Webs

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
My problems with Ellis are he's supposed to be some offensive wizard yet doesn't produce. His defensive zone play is the worst on the team by far most nights and his speed on the transition to defense is a major weakness. All of this can be justified if he's producing offense but he's not. He has been better but he's still an average number 6 defenseman.

I do need to remove him from my signature though, he's earned that much.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
My problems with Ellis are he's supposed to be some offensive wizard yet doesn't produce. His defensive zone play is the worst on the team by far most nights and his speed on the transition to defense is a major weakness. All of this can be justified if he's producing offense but he's not. He has been better but he's still an average number 6 defenseman.

I do need to remove him from my signature though, he's earned that much.
Rafalski was 5 years till he even got to the NHL. Boyal was like 6 years befor he made any real impact in the NHL. Both are what we hope he becomes. It takes longer for d in the NHL most of all when your 5 10 still lots of time for him and he is getting better.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Rafalski was 5 years till he even got to the NHL. Boyal was like 6 years befor he made any real impact in the NHL. Both are what we hope he becomes. It takes longer for d in the NHL most of all when your 5 10 still lots of time for him and he is getting better.
Big difference between the way Rafalski skates and the way Ellis skates though.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN

And how many minutes does he get a night to have a chance? Also, who are the grinder forwards that are going to open him up or that he is going to pass to that is going to do anything with it while he is playing those said minutes? Seriously!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad