Would you switch country allegiance if you could?

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Peter Nedved story should be warning one for everybody who wants to try it. The most paradox is fact that he played for Czech republic in World cup 1996 as this was not IIHF event. Imagine to represent Canada in OG 1994 and play for your country again just two years later! Hey buddy didnt you play against me two years ago??:))) I am not shocked that we completely blowed out there....

I also never forgot him being 41 and celebrating bronze medal in WC like he would won Stanley cup. He would probably never admit that but when you make a complete picture of this story, you can see that there was something weird on it for him. He finally got satisfaction with that bronze medal....

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If I were in Kevin Lalande's shoes, or any other Canadian player playing overseas without any prospects of ever playing for my National Team, sure I'd do it without a second's hesitation. As a professional I want to play at the highest level possible, and if some country wants to pay me a ******** of money in the process, then my first responsibility is to be the breadwinner and support my family. I'll leave the defending of the Canadian flag at international competitions to the real elite players of the NHL.

although I hear the President of Belarus is not at all thrilled with his team's 7th place finish and 1/4 final drubbing... perhaps citizenship for our boy Kevin will be revoked.

Last edited:

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
IIHF rules don't allow players to just pick and choose who they play for.

Any player representing a nation has citizenship in that nation and has played hockey there for at least 2 years. These players aren't "traitors" they are just representing their new adopted homes.

So, if the question is would I represent a country I have citizenship in, live in, and play hockey in? Sure, why wouldn't I?

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Considering the situation I'm in and considering what the prospects of Switzerland playing in international tournaments are - no, I wouldn't.

BUT.

If you are a player that has to really make a decision, you already are in a completely different situation. Those guys usually have connections to the country they switch to and, don't forget that, do have the passport of that country as well, which is tied to some requirements they have to fulfill.

Rick DiPietro (Torino 2006 :naughty:) or Ryan Gardner are two Canadiens that come to mind that played for Switzerland. Because they never would have been able to play for Canada. But also because they started a new life here and liked it.

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
I would only play for teams I identify with, if the Slovak team didn't pick me, I'd play for Czech republic, and if they didn't pick me I'd play with the scrubs on the Canadian team. (just kidding, dont take offense )

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
IIHF rules don't allow players to just pick and choose who they play for.

Any player representing a nation has citizenship in that nation and has played hockey there for at least 2 years. These players aren't "traitors" they are just representing their new adopted homes.

So, if the question is would I represent a country I have citizenship in, live in, and play hockey in? Sure, why wouldn't I?

Lol "new adopted homes"

Half of the Canadian players who came over and played for Great Britain buggered off back to Canada when they retired from hockey, just like Korea's new crop of players Swift, Radunske and Testwuide will when they retire.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Without going through the entire thread, I'm sure many who do this do it because they can't make a living at hockey in the NHL, and many European leagues have restrictions on the number of imports a team can carry. So more than likely it's a way to play pro while getting a decent amount of coin. And if that vaults you up the depth chart for the country you became a citizen of- gravy.

I was friends in grade school (in Ottawa) with a guy who played pro in Italy for years, married an Italian, and ended up cracking the Italian team. Was that his Endgame? I doubt it.

Last edited:

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I was friends in grade school (in Ottawa) with a guy who played pro in Italy for years, married an Italian, and ended up cracking the Italian Olympic team in Sochi. Was that his Endgame? I doubt it.

They did not even play in Sochi, but i guess you mean some qualification tournament?

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
I wouldn't change for nothing.

I love my country and live in it because i chose to do so. I tried to establish in a some countries ... but came back after 1-2-3 years. I if would have stayed, maybe i would love the other country. My blood, however, would remain Swiss forever.

you and all the other " i would never do it " guys would change it for the money/career advantage. its easy to isolate the op question

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
I'm Canadian and rarely care if they win or lose unless I've bet on them. I watch international play for entertainment not nationialism (form of racism). Who cares what imaginary lines people were born in?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I'm Canadian and rarely care if they win or lose unless I've bet on them. I watch international play for entertainment not nationialism (form of racism). Who cares what imaginary lines people were born in?

Trust me, there are no "imaginary lines". Or if you think so, just try to casually walk over the US-Mexico border.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
flag-eagle-decal.jpg

I WOULD NEVER!!! I'd rather die than play for another country. I've always said that when it comes to America and it's athletes, I'm the biggest patriot in the world. It goes George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Mel Gibson in The Patriot, me. USA could be participating in Women's Duck, Duck, Goose and I will be watching and I will be into it.

It's different for someone like Anze Kopitar who plays for an underwhelming team like Slovenia and would probably make any other team in the world.

But I would still rather sit out than play for another country. The Olympics are a great event, but it's not what is going to define these players' careers. It will be NHL success.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
If you have lived in the other country for a while and know the language, then I have no problem with someone playing for another country. However me personally, I don't think so.

I would play for that Country, and would try real hard but my allegiance would still be with Canada.

Brett Hull had dual Citizenship and couldn't make Team Canada, hence he played for Team USA.

Nedved somehow managed to play for Canada in the 90's. Don't remember the circumstances though.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
If I wasn't good enough to play for Canada and had the chance to go to the Olympics playing for *snicker* Team Holland, then ya, I would. I got the dual citizenship.

Hup Holland

This I can accept.

This isn't 'I can't make my national team so I'm throwing a hissy fit and going to play for national teams most hated foe!' or some such thing...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad