Would you support promotion/relegation between the KHL and VHL?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
This would not work. The jump in the budget is just too high. A former VHL team would never be able to cover the costs of participating in the KHL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Agree with Atas2000.

The reason why the KHL plans to cut teams is a big gap between top teams and the worst one. It is not only about money for players salaries, but also non-hockey things like quality of an arena, TV broadcasting, fans interest for new (VHL) team from other KHL clubs fans (related to attendance, TV ratings = bussiness), etc.

Another reason for reduction of teams in the KHL is a fact that the league has too many Russian teams, so can not expand to other markets. If there was a relegation/promotion, it would mean that better KHL Russian team is substituted by worse Russian VHL team. Makes no sense if the KHL wants to expand to abroad.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Good points. I see your arguments.

Maybe a staggered system where only Russian teams can drop and be promoted. If a VHL team jumps, they'd get a financial boost.

Anyway, this is all devil's advocate.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I'd love to see it happen, if it could be worked out right, vorky makes valid points with budgets, infrastructure ect.

The VHL needs to be more attractive first. Its not a solely Russian league either with the Kazakhs and now Chinese teams playing there. But we'd need to see other decent EU/Asian teams join the league with the hope of making the KHL. I don't see that happening anytime soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad