Would you sit McDavid/Draisaitl at all during the remaining schedule?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I’m not sure about sitting McDavid and Draisaitl but I sure as hell limit their minutes and I’d 100% get Stecher and Broberg some playing time and give Nurse, Ceci, Ekholm, and Vinny a rest.
Ditto with Holloway/Lavoie and Perry/Kane/Ryan etc. Oilers have enough cap space now to finish out the season while calling up all of Broberg/Holloway/Lavoie. Give them time in the final 5 games. So they're more ready if injuries happen.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Like most everybody else, I would at the very least limit their minutes, and possibly sit them during part of the final weekend if the games are meaningless. Same with Ekholm.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
No, and it gets asked every year and never happens. The players don't want it, the fans don't want it, and the NHL probably doesn't either.

Basketball is a joke because of it imo.
Yup resting player in a non physical sport is a joke and they only play a quarter of a game in blowouts , softest sport on earth

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
No, and it gets asked every year and never happens. The players don't want it, the fans don't want it, and the NHL probably doesn't either.

Basketball is a joke because of it imo.

This is an unusual year though, with five games in seven days to close out the schedule, and it sounds like a very quick turn around to start the playoffs. Plus we actually have cap room this year to bring up some guys in the next 6 games. I think they’d be crazy not to rest guys.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yup resting player in a non physical sport is a joke and they only play a quarter of a game in blowouts , softest sport on earth
I think you may be underestimating the physical toll basketball takes on its players. For a guy who is 39, 6'9" and 250lbs to lug himself up and down a court, deal with a significant amount of contact (yes basketball is a very physical sport) make quick cuts, etc is very demanding on the body.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It's hard to focus on that because so much is still up in the air- Vegas is 1 point back of LA and tied with Nashville, with a game in hand on both. None of those three teams has a clearly tougher schedule in my eyes- all of them have 2 or 3 tough games, and then a few against bottom feeders.

I want to win the division purely because it is ridiculous that we still haven't won a division title in the McDavid era.
The Kings actually have the easiest schedule in the league. Considerably more favourable than Vegas.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
No, resting players tends to mess them up. I'd limit icetime, especially one our playoff slot is determined.

Reactions: Duke74

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think they should try for the division.

I would see see where we are at before the last two games.

Apparently the playoffs start soon after the regular season ends. With our condensed schedule, I think need to limit minutes or give time off at the end.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
With two brutal 3 games in 4 night stretches coming up, would it be prudent to rest one or both of them for a game or two over the next two weeks?
No. They're chasing a division title and to a lesser extent still battling for home ice. Considering that they haven't won a division title since the Reagan Administration (literally) and are one of the best home teams in the league, they need these guys playing until those outcomes are decided.

Plus, they still need to figure out chemistry. There are still no lines that have real chemistry right now outside of any McDavid line. That needs to be sorted out as well.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Really depends on how our game against Vancouver goes. If we lose to them and the division gets out of reach I’d consider sitting them against Arizona and Colorado to finish the season
And have over a week of rust going into the playoffs? I think that's a bad idea. This group has enough of a hard time winning Game 1's as is.
Maybe cut down on their minutes somewhat but I think sitting them out can only serve to hurt the team.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
And have over a week of rust going into the playoffs? I think that's a bad idea. This group has enough of a hard time winning Game 1's as is.
Maybe cut down on their minutes somewhat but I think sitting them out can only serve to hurt the team.

I thought I saw reports that said the playoffs are starting on April 20. That would mean only four days off if they sit out the last two games. I'd prefer that to them starting the playoffs with their third game in four nights.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So do we want to win the div if it means we play Vegas.

I kinda think there is a more likely chance the pacific division winner plays Vegas than plays LAK
Too much, "oh my god, we might play these guys or those guys" talk. There are way too many scenarios of placement for the teams right now, so to have any concern about that is worrying needlessly. If we get a chance to get the highest seed possible, we should go for it. Don't want to get into a situation where we're in a game 7 situation, and then people are saying, "we'll, if only we had played a little better in that game against Arizona, we would have home ice advantage now. They should just work on their game (and PP specifically) and get it right for the run, cut down on the stars minutes, and I think that's what they'll do,

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Too much, "oh my god, we might play these guys or those guys" talk. There are way too many scenarios of placement for the teams right now, so to have any concern about that is worrying needlessly. If we get a chance to get the highest seed possible, we should go for it. Don't want to get into a situation where we're in a game 7 situation, and then people are saying, "we'll, if only we had played a little better in that game against Arizona, we would have home ice advantage now. They should just work on their game (and PP specifically) and get it right for the run, cut down on the stars minutes, and I think that's what they'll do,
What's the plan for the final game of the season on the 18th?

The 18th will be 3 in 4 nights and the playoffs start on the 20th?

Hopefully Oilers play on 21st or 22nd but i'm assuming that will have to do with arena conflicts and such

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
I hope they don't fall for the stats chasing dopamine. They say they've got bigger things on the horizon, play it cool, and (at least McDavid) is playing a more disciplined game; but there's always that little release of "I've done it" when reaching these individual milestones that I fear affect how driven they are capable of getting in the post season. I'm not saying it's a huge factor, but going into the playoffs with something recent to avenge, instead of some milestone achieved, seems better somehow.

Fewer minutes. Rotate some players into the lineup to keep them fresh for possible fill-in duties later. Care less about catching anyone. Just get in and get roasting!

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
You could just ask them. It's not important either way other than what they feel best with

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
As long as we are in a position to win the division we need to treat every game as a must win. IMO the path is so much easier from a variety of angles if we win the division that it should currently be our sole focus.

If we aren't in a position to win the division I would probably sit them for one of the final two games of the season, but not before.

Reactions: Stoneman89

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Not sure how much say teams have in the schedule, but I'm hoping that the Oilers at least went kicking and screaming with their last breathe when this schedule was being finalized. Maybe since playoffs were scheduled to start on April 22, they didn't see it as too big of an issue. But now with the league moving the start date up two days, it is really becoming an ugly perfect storm in a bad way. A division crown isn't as important to me as having a team that isn't burnt out for the playoffs. We will have home ice for the first round, and likely won't for the third and SC final if we make it that far, so I don't want to see us chasing home ice for likely one more round above everything else.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I saw a stat not too long ago.

McDavid is REALLY productive the more he plays. He's productive in back to backs, and even MORE productive during the 3rd game in 4 nights.

His productivity drops coming back from a break.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I thought I saw reports that said the playoffs are starting on April 20. That would mean only four days off if they sit out the last two games. I'd prefer that to them starting the playoffs with their third game in four nights.
Hold on, they're starting the playoffs on a Saturday? I don't remember that ever happening, unless I'm mistaken.

Sure, if the Avs game is meaningless then sit them out for that one if indeed they're starting the playoffs on the 20th. Since it's the NHL and they always find a way to do something dumb, I wouldn't be surprised if they do indeed start the playoffs 2 days after the regular season ends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad