Would you sign Crosby to a 5 year 12.5M$ AAV contract this summer if he was UFA?

Would you sign Crosby to a 5 year 12.5M$ AAV contract this summer if he was UFA?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Let's pretend Sidney Crosby was a UFA this summer. He's in talks with your team (this can be Pitt too) - and is ready to sign, but his ask if 12.5M$ AAV for 5 years. Do you do it, or not?

On the one hand - he's still always at worst a top 5 player in any "top players in NHL" list you see popping up this year, and often even #2. Players still vote him as best player #1 for a playoff run. His ability is still amazing, even though he had an inconsistent season with injuries. More than just playing ability - he brings a ton of marketability potential, and a stellar reputation as leader, which can probably help out many teams. I can go on - but we all know how good a player he is, still today.

He'll be 33 at the start of next season however. So you get him for ages 33, 34, 35, 36 & 37. That's a lot of money for a player ageing. Injuries are also a concern. No he doesn't have any lingering injuries (that we know of) - but we all know he's had a lot of bad luck in his career. What are the odds he plays 5 mostly full season, or even that he plays till 37? He hasn't really shown decline in his game yet - but at age 33 it has to be coming soon., right?

I often say he's had one of the most consistently elite careers of all-time - probably top 3 with Howe and Bourque (maybe #99 too). So who knows - maybe he can keep up his level of play for a few more years.

So - vote. 12.5M$ for Crosby for 5 years. Do you sign him, or not?

Please explain what team you're voting for if your answer is based on a specific team, vs a general yes/no.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I give it a contingent "yes".

For Nashville, we would have to find a way to move around $8M worth of salary out of the current lineup... Johansen or Duchene just for futures, for example, in order to make this work on the cap. But assuming we could do that (which of course is a big assumption) then yes, I'd take the chance on Crosby on this contract instead.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not for the Avs. It’d probably result in having to get rid of a player like Makar or Rantanen. That doesn’t make sense when you already have MacKinnon in the roster.

But if it was someone like the flames, I’d do it. It addresses their one glaring flaw in a big way.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
My team doesn’t have the cap space. Otherwise, clear yes.

This is probably obvious but - your team clearing up cap space to make this work is of course a possibility in this scenario, even if you don't have cap space today. Whether it means sacrificing a good player, or even paying to move a bad contract, etc.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not for the Avs. It’d probably result in having to get rid of a player like Makar or Rantanen. That doesn’t make sense when you already have MacKinnon in the roster.

But if it was someone like the flames, I’d do it. It addresses their one glaring flaw in a big way.
But then you'd win a cup, so, Id say its worth.

Reactions: bobholly39

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Crosby is 33. Think about his closest comparables in terms of talent and longevity over the last few decades:

Better than Crosby:
Gretzky, Lemieux

About as good as Crosby:
Messier, Jagr

Not quite as good as Crosby:
Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg

Every one of those players still had a big impact on their teams through 37 - the age Crosby would be the end of a 5 year deal. The worst was Messier and he was still pretty damn good, character problems in Vancouver notwithstanding (and let's be honest, Crosby wouldn't bring character problems to any team). Yzerman's production dipped, but how much was his performance and leadership worth to the Wings? Sakic put up 100 points at age 37. Jagr was a force at 37. Gretzky and Lemieux were Gretzky and Lemieux.

What's Crosby's impact on a team worth? What's his experience, accountability, and work ethic worth because of the example it sets for the organization top-to-bottom?

Is Crosby worth 12.5 mil for the next 5 years? Easily.

Reactions: Dominance and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It’d be a one-shot deal. We’d have to win in 2021 before cap hell dismantled the roster. We’d definitely be the favorites in 2021 though.

Trade Kadri, trade Cole and trade one of your 3 milly forwards and boom, youre in.

Crosby is 33. Think about his closest comparables in terms of talent and longevity over the last few decades:

Better than Crosby:
Gretzky, Lemieux

About as good as Crosby:
Messier, Jagr

Not quite as good as Crosby:
Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg

Every one of those players still had a big impact on their teams through 37 - the age Crosby would be the end of a 5 year deal. The worst was Messier and he was still pretty damn good, character problems in Vancouver notwithstanding (and let's be honest, Crosby wouldn't bring character problems to any team). Yzerman's production dipped, but how much was his performance and leadership worth to the Wings? Sakic put up 100 points at age 37. Jagr was a force at 37. Gretzky and Lemieux were Gretzky and Lemieux.

What's Crosby's impact on a team worth? What's his experience, accountability, and work ethic worth because of the example it sets for the organization top-to-bottom?

Is Crosby worth 12.5 mil for the next 5 years? Easily.

Messier about as good as crosby ?
Yzerman not quite as good as crosby ?

Thats weird.

Reactions: bh53 and Voight

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
As a Caps fan, no, barf, gross.

But as an actual hockey move for the Caps, maybe? They'd have to ship out Kuzy and some other salary, but that shouldn't be too hard. Crosby is obviously an upgrade on Kuznetsov, who seems to have plateaued.

That would be a really old team though.

Reactions: bobholly39

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Messier about as good as crosby ?
Yzerman not quite as good as crosby ?

Thats weird.

Crosby has a legit argument to being a top 5 player of all-time after Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, and Orr.

Messier probably does too. Yzerman doesn't.

And I say this as a huge Yzerman fan. He was my favourite non-Jet growing up. Crosby's comparisons to Yzerman are why I liked his game to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: That1Kid

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As a Caps fan, no, barf, gross.

But as an actual hockey move for the Caps, maybe? They'd have to ship out Kuzy and some other salary, but that shouldn't be too hard. Crosby is obviously an upgrade on Kuznetsov, who seems to have plateaued.

That would be a really old team though.

I like that. Perfectly valid reason to vote no if you don't like the player :)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Crosby has a legit argument to being a top 5 player of all-time after Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, and Orr.

Messier probably does too. Yzerman doesn't.

I think your comparison was fine within the context of this thread. Messier higher tier than Sakic and Yzerman - and I like the tiers and comparisons you did.

I'll just point out - Messier absolutely does not have a case for #5 player all-time. He's more in the ~15-25 range i'd say.

One thing also on Crosby vs all those names - even Gretzky and Lemieux - I think Crosby's been the most consistent performer through age 32 from all those names. Not saying he's been better than them - just more consistent year to year. So I think that makes the likelihood of a sharp decline in the short-term even more unlikely.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad