Would you sign Alex Ovechkin to a 5 year 10M$ AAV contract if he was UFA this summer?

Would you sign Alex Ovechkin to a 5 year 10M$ AAV contract if he was UFA this summer?

• Total voters

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Leave it to the usual “Actuaaaally” crowd to come in and downplay Crosby, while the players playing the game continue to regard him as one of the top few guys in the league - and all of it happening in an Ovechkin thread.

This is some prime HFBoards content right here.

Strange, I haven't noticed you dying on this hill in any Carey Price threads.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Their stats still show them being even since Crosby had 2 more total points. So just because Ovechkin had 20 more goals and finished 9th in Hart Trophy voting doesn't mean he was "way better" than Crosby as you say he was.

Using your logic I guess during the 2016-17 season Auston Matthews was "way better" than Ovechkin since he had 40 goals and Ovechkin had 33 goals. Plus both of them were tied with 69 points.

Make a poll asking if 2 more pts makes up for 20 more goals.

Lol in 16/17 Matthews was 11th in hart voting, OV was 12th. Do you see the difference between 9th vs 17th (OV vs Crosby in 17/18) and 11th vs 12th? Is a 7 goal difference the same as 20? Nice try but try harder.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Lol in 16/17 Matthews was 11th in hart voting, OV was 12th. Do you see the difference between 9th vs 17th (OV vs Crosby in 17/18) and 11th vs 12th? Is a 7 goal difference the same as 20? Nice try but try harder.
What's the difference how many goals it was. If Ovechkin can be better than Crosby because he scored 20 more goals than he did despite Crosby having 2 more total points in 2017-18 season, I can say Matthews was better than Ovechkin since his 40 goals was more than his 33 goals. So who cares if it's only a difference of 7 more goals, since they were both tied with 69 points.

Reactions: sanscosm

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
lol Crosby is objectively not close to top 2 in the NHL. The best players have 75-85 more points than Sid over the past 3 seasons and Ovie has 68 more goals.

I didn't state that objectively, Crosby is a top 2 player. I implied many people still consider him top 2 - and if you had read and quote 4 more words - i expanded it to top 5.

And despite your obvious personal opinions on the matter - you can't honestly tell me that you don't feel a majority of HF'ers or people around the league still consider Crosby a top 2-5 player in the league? You may not agree with it - but that's still a majority opinion.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers are in cap hell. We just cannot. That means adding Ovechkin subtracts good young players such as Nurse, Klef, RNH or Bear. It also ties our hands in getting a goalie.

I think we might consider it if someone took Neal, or if there were a compliance buyout. Even then, we should focus on depth. We're very top heavy on cash as it is

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don't understand why you keep using Hart voting as a barometer of play quality. A 5 vote system means anything after the top 4 or 5 is essentially meaningless, and the "value to his team" aspect muddies the best player aspect anyway.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Such an easy "yes".

Arguably the greatest goal scorer ever and still has gas in the tank. If years 4 & 5 are bad, then so what. He'd probably walk if he got awful anyway.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

If you are using Hart voting to decide how good a player is (especially down in the weeds past 10), it makes it really hard to take your opinion seriously.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
He’d never sign in Columbus but I’d do it in a heartbeat. He might not score 60 every year again, but he’d be a tremendous ambassador to hockey in the region and the sport popularity would grow a lot.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No, i absolutely would not.

Unless i was actually the GM of a team...and had done a poor enough job in previous years, to be on my last leg before being fired. In which case, yes...i would. Either it works...or i get fired and the next guy looks like an idiot because he can't fix the team with an albatross hanging over his head.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Signing a player to a 10mil contract until they're 40? What could go wrong

Hard to believe half the forum would.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I don't understand why you keep using Hart voting as a barometer of play quality. A 5 vote system means anything after the top 4 or 5 is essentially meaningless, and the "value to his team" aspect muddies the best player aspect anyway.

I do not understand your point. If a player is garnering significant support but outside the top 5, and appears on like 60 ballots (or something like that), I think that's a decent enough sample that at least says something.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I didn't state that objectively, Crosby is a top 2 player. I implied many people still consider him top 2 - and if you had read and quote 4 more words - i expanded it to top 5.

You're always politicking for your favorite good Canadian boy. Even in a thread where you dishonestly pretend it's about Ovechkin (and it obviously isn't), you just can't stop yourself from mentioning Crosby 3 times in the OP.

There is zero rationale to say Crosby is top 2. Crosby is deployed overwhelmingly for offense and has been getting utterly spanked offensively by several players for years on end.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You're always politicking for your favorite good Canadian boy. Even in a thread where you dishonestly pretend it's about Ovechkin (and it obviously isn't), you just can't stop yourself from mentioning Crosby 3 times in the OP.

There is zero rationale to say Crosby is top 2. Crosby is deployed overwhelmingly for offense and has been getting utterly spanked offensively by several players for years on end.

Have you ever heard of the expression "the pot calling the kettle black"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad