Would you sign Alex Ovechkin to a 5 year 10M$ AAV contract if he was UFA this summer?

Would you sign Alex Ovechkin to a 5 year 10M$ AAV contract if he was UFA this summer?

• Total voters

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If I'm a goal scorer away and had the cap space yes I'd do that deal. However you'd also need a good supporting cast on long term value deals to be able to throw 10 per to a over 35 player. OV is a freak but even he can't produce like this forever can he?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I do not understand your point. If a player is garnering significant support but outside the top 5, and appears on like 60 ballots (or something like that), I think that's a decent enough sample that at least says something.

It doesn't really say anything other than they were a good player. Ovechkin was on 19 of 164 ballots that year. Besides the fact that appeals to authority for the same guys who didn't know what position he played in a Hart winning season is a pretty weak argument in general, literally ranking players based on only a small subset of these writers is not going to give you an accurate picture. We only know how those 19 would rank him, not any of the others, and it's easily possible that actual rankings for all the writers would significantly change the list. The fact that the Hart isn't a best player list either makes it even worse, and Ovechkin in particular tends to have an advantage in Hart voting over some other players in that the Caps have been a good team for a number of years but outside of maybe this year, he's always their clear best player. Crosby suffers by this standard in seasons like '18 because Malkin was better, meaning he's going to do worse on a "most valuable to your team" list than his actual abilities would suggest. Malkin was better than Ovechkin as well, but Ovechkin has never had that competition. And this isn't to say Ovechkin wasn't better than Crosby that season. He had a better season. But I've seen KoozNetsOff use it in multiple threads and it's just a poor argument.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
OV won't sign for 5 years. My bet is he signs until the next Olympics so he has the flexibility to leave should Bettman not send NHL'ers.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
If you look at their stats those years I don't think you can say Ovechkin was better than Crosby.

Crosby 2017-18: 29 Goals, 60 Assists, 89 Points.

Ovechkin 2017-18: 49 Goals, 38 Assists, 87 Points.

As for the 2019-20 season yes statically Ovechkin was better, however Crosby had injury problems and it's the reason his numbers were down.

If you go back 1 year to the 2018-19 season Crosby had 35 Goals, 65, Assists and 100 Points. Ovechkin had 51 Goals, 38 Assists, and 89 Points.

The stat line in 17-18 looks far more impressive to me. How many goals + primary assists did each player have?

To me, goals always trump assists, and you have a 20 goal deficit for Crosby that season. That's a huge deficit.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
lol Crosby is objectively not close to top 2 in the NHL. The best players have 75-85 more points than Sid over the past 3 seasons and Ovie has 68 more goals.
Maybe dont stat watch and try turning the tv onto hockey for once

Crosby is the 2nd best player in hockey, oBjEcTiVeLy SpEaKiNg

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad