Would you shell out for a WNHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhasek3910

Sep 21, 2005
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I don't think the problem is with Women's hockey in US/Canada. The problem is overseas in Europe, where women's hockey is just barely starting up. The talent level in North America is fine. Let the other countries catch up.

primetime

Dec 2, 2005
Albany
lemieux32 said:
It's obvious most of you have never seen the US or Canada or any NCAA team play in person.

The US Women's Nat'l team tours the country every year, playing high school men's teams, usually average prep schools or good public/private schools. They almost always get their butts handed to them on a silver platter, with scores like 8-0.

I have played goal (good high schooler, recruited at minor D-I) against girls who were good enough to play DI in Hockey East, no small feat. Almost exclusively, they were worse than the 3rd liners on my high school team, which was hardly an amazing group of players, and they don't hit.

Women's hockey is boring, and the WNBA only succeeds because the NBA manages to make money and can subsidize it. The NHL is a league that's current gasping for breath on its own that needs serious overhaul beyond what's already happened (contraction, for one). A WNHL would have the same appeal, marketability, and lifespan of the failed women's professional soccer league.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Why a league league?

Why not a mini-league until its possible to make a proper league?

Here's my suggestion.
top 5-6 womens nations players + extras from US/Canada to form a pool of x players. X being a number suitable to fill y number of teams.

Then cities are used as bases and we create new teams, lets make them geographically close to keep travelling expenses down.

then play an intensive 2 month league with a short playoffs at the end.

The idea being its professional for those 2 months, the rest of the time the women spend as now, studying, working, playing in their national team/club/university.

And keep playign that short league every year and gradually extend it by a bit every time there seems to be interest in it.

Why try to create the full monty overnight when its unlikely to work?

They play more, level of competition rises so they become better, work with better coaches... and don't try to build a complete league overngiht, because without support or financing it wont succeed.

two out of three*

Jackets613 said:
You must have your manhood questioned a lot.

:biglaugh:

To be fair to that guy.. some of those women are beasts.. And I don't mean like Chris Pronger type of beast.. I mean like.. Scary.

Kfarschman

...Boomers in disguise
Feb 12, 2006
Deutschdorf, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Women's hockey is way more interesting than women's basketball! Watching the olympics I've seen some really good skills from alot of the women (regardless what some of you super "macho", guys have said. Don't worry everyone thinks your cool for ripping on women's hockey). I don't see why it wouldn't do enough to atleast stay afloat. I really enjoy watching USA vs. Canada, and the league for awhile would just be full of North Americans.

I would definately atleast watch it on tv.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Kfarschman said:
Women's hockey is way more interesting than women's basketball! Watching the olympics I've seen some really good skills from alot of the women (regardless what some of you super "macho", guys have said. Don't worry everyone thinks your cool for ripping on women's hockey). I don't see why it wouldn't do enough to atleast stay afloat. I really enjoy watching USA vs. Canada, and the league for awhile would just be full of North Americans.

I would definately atleast watch it on tv.

Some good puckhandling, but it's like watching hockey in slow motion. I've watched a couple of womens games in Turin. Like someone said, the athleticism just isn't there. I would never pay to see that kind of hockey.

lemieux32*

primetime said:
The US Women's Nat'l team tours the country every year, playing high school men's teams, usually average prep schools or good public/private schools. They almost always get their butts handed to them on a silver platter, with scores like 8-0.

Do you mean like when one of the best HS teams in the country beat them 2-1 and most articles showed surprise? Please provide some links showing them playing these "average prep, good public/private" schools where they "almost always get their butts handed to them on a silver platter, with scores like 8-0."

I have played goal (good high schooler, recruited at minor D-I) against girls who were good enough to play DI in Hockey East, no small feat. Almost exclusively, they were worse than the 3rd liners on my high school team, which was hardly an amazing group of players, and they don't hit.

Yet, interestingly we are talking about the best players in the world, not some random players. The mistake you make is that nobody is comparing them to the top college or NHL players. It's a cop out when you do that. It's taking the easy way out by saying they aren't as good so they suck. Sorry, but if that's the logic you want to use then we shouls eliminate all hockey below NCAA DI. Oh, wait, you just dislike women's hockey.

Women's hockey is boring, and the WNBA only succeeds because the NBA manages to make money and can subsidize it. The NHL is a league that's current gasping for breath on its own that needs serious overhaul beyond what's already happened (contraction, for one). A WNHL would have the same appeal, marketability, and lifespan of the failed women's professional soccer league.

The NHL is hardly "gasping for breath on it's own." Obviously you have not been paying much attention. If you knew what you were talking about you would know that the WUSA failed because of the way it was run. Do some research before you start saying things you know nothing about.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
this would be one of those "they couldn't pay me enough" instances.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I would not pay money to watch a WNHL of my own volition, no. I would certainly accompany someone who wanted to go if the price was reasonable, as I have done with WNBA games. Hockey is hockey, and if the play is competent, I'm happy to watch.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge a female pro league, but outside of Canada it wouldn't have a prayer of succeeding, and I'm not even sure that it would work in the Great Maple Leaf.

MassiveHabs

Jan 10, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Before these games here I probably would have said no way in hell would I go to one of these games, but now, I am convinced there is real talent out there that would be enough to like somebody already said put together a couple teams. It would be something to watch durin the sumer months and if there was a team close enough and their tickets werent too much Id definatley go to watch. I don't think it would be realllll successful tho, but it would bea good place to develop more skills and probably more interest in hockey, at least amoung women. If im not correct, isnt there already a womens(or a couple) in canada?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
MooseHunter said:
1. Did you not hear that over 60000 females play hockey in Canada. There's the people that go to those games right there.

2. *shakes head*

3. again *shakes head* There is contact. Try playing with women before you ever say that. I've gotten more broken bones, sore muscles, and bruises from playing with females then I have males.

4. You're right because the world is full of ignorant people like you in the corporate world

I'm sure Midol would hop on board with sponsorship.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
MassiveHabs said:
Before these games here I probably would have said no way in hell would I go to one of these games, but now, I am convinced there is real talent out there that would be enough to like somebody already said put together a couple teams. It would be something to watch durin the sumer months and if there was a team close enough and their tickets werent too much Id definatley go to watch. I don't think it would be realllll successful tho, but it would bea good place to develop more skills and probably more interest in hockey, at least amoung women. If im not correct, isnt there already a womens(or a couple) in canada?

the LPGA is going to be tough to beat in the summer....many young boys/men are going to get hooked on the Natalie Gulbis' etc.

primetime

Dec 2, 2005
Albany
lemieux32 said:
Do some research before you start saying things you know nothing about.

I think this thread speaks for itself. Out of the, what, 44 posts, how many have said that it would be a good idea? 4? And the NHL is a league teetering on the brink. You're deluding yourself if you think otherwise. Aside from hardcore fans, no one watches the games on television, ticket prices continue to be outrageous, and the game is less than one year removed from a labor stoppage that could have potentially ended major professional hockey in North America. Strikes are not the sign of a league that is thriving (see: NFL, which has had one major labor stoppage and that was in the mid-80s), but the sign of a game that is beginning to die off (see: MLB in the mid-90s, which was ultimately saved by juiced up power hitters and big numbers... ironic, isn't it?)

The women I played against were good enough to play high level DI hockey. They were not just some random players, as you say. A cousin of mine was a reserve goaltender for the national team (not an Olympic team). None of them would've been first liners on my high school team.

I think women's hockey has its niche. It's a fine sport to play for young women, and there's no reason for girls not to be encouraged to play the game. I don't dislike women's hockey as a sport that can be played at all. However, to think every sport that exists deserves a highly marketed professional league dedicated to it is ludicrous. Lacrosse is more popular than women's hockey, but the national lacrosse league is a very low-budget enterprise that folds teams regularly after only one or two years in the league and has always been very small with very low salaries, and though women play lacrosse as well there is no professional league. There is no professional curling league that is highly marketed, or to go even more mainstream, the professional softball league in the U.S. is hardly a speck on the sports map. There's no pro field hockey league in the United States, though girls begin field hockey as early as five here. There is no professional rugby union in the U.S., just a smattering of club teams.

To try to give every sport that could possibly be played by both men and women it's due with a marketable league would be impossible. No one is going to want to sit down and watch women's lacrosse on a Saturday afternoon, and very few people will want to take their kids to see a women's hockey game when a far more interesting men's game is going on next door, or even on the TV. Professional sports, in the end, are all about the bottom line, which is a shame, but the truth.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is nothing against women I dont see them as the lesser sex but the hockey just isnt good enough. Not with all the other options that are already out there. When I was 16 the caliber of play that I was playing at was equal to the Canadian and American National teams. I wouldnt pay to go watch a Midget AAA game so no I wont pay to watch the Women play.

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
MooseHunter said:
1. Did you not hear that over 60000 females play hockey in Canada. There's the people that go to those games right there.

2. *shakes head*

3. again *shakes head* There is contact. Try playing with women before you ever say that. I've gotten more broken bones, sore muscles, and bruises from playing with females then I have males.

4. You're right because the world is full of ignorant people like you in the corporate world

Maybe the "WNHL" would catch if one of these girls would take their shirt off after scoring a goal. Other than that it would be a huge failure.

Just because people don't want to watch or pay for women's pro sports doesn't make them ignorant. It's entertainment. I would guess that most people would rather watch the NBA than the WBNA. There is nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad