Would you sell the farm for McDavid...

Leafspoison*

Very simple. I would and not even think about it.

I think we keep JVR, Kessel and Reilly. Possibly trade everyone else. Bring up the Marlies.

Almost guarantees us either Macdavid or Eichel.

Then, as the lottery gets closer and the trade deadline arrives, we move a bunch of players and picks to the second and third worst teams. Sure, we sacrifice a bunch of picks and players such as Kadri, Gards, etc, but the reward would be insane.

Eichel will be a franchise player that you can build around and Macdavid will be a generational talent that shows up every 10 years.

So would you try to do this if you were the GM.

Our core now would be JVR, Kessel, Reilly, Nylander, Macdavid, Eichel and possibly the 3rd which is likely also a franchise player. Plug the holes around them to round out the team.

Fact is, we do have the assets to pull something like this off. By giving the Marlies a big opportunity, we would be able to see who is worth keeping to fill in the holes around that kick a$$ core.

Sit back and enjoy the ride to the promise land.

Who would do this?

AK1990

Nov 20, 2011
yes, yes one million times yes.

I'd Trade Kessel too.

JVR, Nylander, Gauthier, Bernier, Rielly & Gardiner...everyone else can go!

J1S

May 12, 2014

I think we keep JVR, Kessel and Reilly. Possibly trade everyone else. Bring up the Marlies.

Then, as the lottery gets closer and the trade deadline arrives, we move a bunch of players and picks to the second and third worst teams. Sure, we sacrifice a bunch of picks and players such as Kadri, Gards, etc, but the reward would be insane.

Eichel will be a franchise player that you can build around and Macdavid will be a generational talent that shows up every 10 years.

Our core now would be JVR, Kessel, Reilly, Nylander, Macdavid, Eichel and possibly the 3rd which is likely also a franchise player. Plug the holes around them to round out the team.

Fact is, we do have the assets to pull something like this off. By giving the Marlies a big opportunity, we would be able to see who is worth keeping to fill in the holes around that kick a$$ core.

Who would do this?

No, this isn't how the game works.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
1) Putting our young marlies up to take important roles in the NHL would most likely ruin their development.
2) You are not getting top picks in 2015 for anything else than an extreme overpayment.
3) We anyway end up with a team in a similar situation as the Edmonton, a team where our kids are supposed to lead the way instead of worrying about their personal development. If you want to take care of your great prospects, you give them a ton of possibilities but put the demands on veteran players that take the heavy load. Like Colorado did with MacKinnon, not like Edmonton has done with RNH.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Who would do this?

Completely false. The worst team gets only a 25% shot at the #1 pick, the next team gets 18-19% or something like that. Finish deal last and we have a very good shot at a top 5 pick but even that's not guaranteed and our chances of picking in the top 2 are less than 50%.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
No, Crosby is proof alone one player doesnt win championships.

Lindros is proof alone that selling a bunch of great players for one superstar usually doesnt workout

Plus I dont even think he's some generational talent, I think he's somewhere between Mackinnon and crosby, all-star level but not superstar, his WJC appearance was very underwhelming, Crosby was dominant at the same age.

Leafspoison*

Overpayment yes, but worth it.

We are likely talking about bringing a Stanley cup to Toronto.

Just ask yourself this question....do we have the assets to move to get the second overall pick? The answer has to be yes. Then ask yourself if we have the remaining assets to get the third pick and again the answer has to be yes with a big overpayment.

We are talking about the next Crosby here....possibly better. Burke did something similar to land the twins.

Its possible and the rewards would be insane. I would gladly give up my next 5 first rounders and a couple players like Kadri and Gardiner to get those players available this year.

We are talking franchise, superstars.....on the leafs.

Leafspoison*

for macdavid no, but for mcdavid the leafs should:sarcasm:

plus getting rid of the Clarkson contract would make it worth it on its own

Not only does my spelling suck, but my editing privileges are gone for a bit. :)

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Completely false. The worst team gets only a 25% shot at the #1 pick, the next team gets 18-19% or something like that. Finish deal last and we have a very good shot at a top 5 pick but even that's not guaranteed and our chances of picking in the top 2 are less than 50%.

No, the chance of picking in the top 2 is 100% if you finish last.

If you finish last, you have a 25% chance of picking first, but if anyone else wins they move to #1 overall and those who finished below the team that wins the lottery move 1 spot down.

This appears to be changing for 2016, but for the 2015 draft last place guarantees a top 2 pick.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

If we would finish dead last and some one else wins the lottery we will still pick 2nd. It is only for the first pick there is a lottery.

Leafspoison*

No, Crosby is proof alone one player doesnt win championships.

Lindros is proof alone that selling a bunch of great players for one superstar usually doesnt workout

Plus I dont even think he's some generational talent, I think he's somewhere between Mackinnon and crosby, all-star level but not superstar, his WJC appearance was very underwhelming, Crosby was dominant at the same age.

wut

2009 stanley cup

2 gold medals at olympics....also scored a game winner.

And a crap load of other trophies and awards.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

We are talking about the next Crosby here....possibly better. Burke did something similar to land the twins.

Mcdavid is not as good as crosby, Crosby didnt miss a beat at all as he moved up in the JR level, Mcdavid at 16(cant compare his extra season crosby didnt go at 15) scored 99 points this season, crosby at the same age score 135, Not to mention that crosby had nearly DOUBLE his goals(54 to 28) , while mcdavid seems to be much less of a goal-scorer. Mcdavid is gonna have to get close to 168 points to match Crosby in his draft year.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
wut

2009 stanley cup

2 gold medals at olympics....also scored a game winner.

And a crap load of other trophies and awards.

And failure before that and ever since?

that 2009 team was quite a stacked team, let's just ignore Malkin, Staal, Talbot as the other guys down the middle, Fleury having an all-star season etc.

This is a team game, one line doesnt win anything, every position and line plays an important role.

getting a superstar in the draft is fantastic, I've never seen trading for one working at as it demolishes your depth.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Mcdavid is not as good as crosby, Crosby didnt miss a beat at all as he moved up in the JR level, Mcdavid at 16(cant compare his extra season crosby didnt go at 15) scored 99 points this season, crosby at the same age score 135, Not to mention that crosby had nearly DOUBLE his goals(54 to 28) , while mcdavid seems to be much less of a goal-scorer. Mcdavid is gonna have to get close to 168 points to match Crosby in his draft year.

you have to also factor in that the OHL is a better league than the Q is

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Firing on all cylinders, this core maybe makes it to the ECF if we're lucky. The overall value we gain from Kadri/Rielly/Gardiner getting better, we lose equally in Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul getting older and more expensive. A #1C isn't going to appear out of nowhere, trading for one will only open more holes, and signing one doesn't look realistic.

I have no problem selling off the majority of the core over the age of 26, it would be nice having the overall value of this franchise to be increasing steadily for a few years for once.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

We are likely talking about bringing a Stanley cup to Toronto.

Just ask yourself this question....do we have the assets to move to get the second overall pick? The answer has to be yes. Then ask yourself if we have the remaining assets to get the third pick and again the answer has to be yes with a big overpayment.

Its possible and the rewards would be insane. I would gladly give up my next 5 first rounders and a couple players like Kadri and Gardiner to get those players available this year.

We are talking franchise, superstars.....on the leafs.

We are not talking about bringing a Stanley Cup to Toronto. We are talking about tossing all we have at a couple of prospects and then throwing them out in the deep waters and praying that they learn to swim before they drown, because then we'd be sunk as a franchise.

And no, we don't have the assets to make a team give up on a potential McDavid or Eichel. It's not going to happen.

I love McDavid, but if you expect him to be Crosby then I think you're likely to be disappointed.

They'll only be franchise players if we let them develop correctly, something we absolutely would not in your scenario.

Leafspoison*

No, completely true, if we finish dead last, we are guaranteed one of them.

By trading future picks and players to the bottom 3 or 4 teams for their picks, we increase the odds of winning macdavid substantially.

Leafspoison*

We are not talking about bringing a Stanley Cup to Toronto. We are talking about tossing all we have at a couple of prospects and then throwing them out in the deep waters and praying that they learn to swim before they drown, because then we'd be sunk as a franchise.

And no, we don't have the assets to make a team give up on a potential McDavid or Eichel. It's not going to happen.

I love McDavid, but if you expect him to be Crosby then I think you're likely to be disappointed.

They'll only be franchise players if we let them develop correctly, something we absolutely would not in your scenario.

I'll just bold the whole thing.

To many times have teams and owners underestimated first year players. Gretzky says hello as does Sakic, Yzerman, Crosby, Mackinnon etc etc etc.

These superstar potential players can handle it. Its part of what makes them superstars.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00