Would you say International Hockey has the most biased Officiating?

PepperoniSlapshot*

Would you say International Hockey has the most biased Officiating of all major sports?

The dominance of Canadian Refs in International Hockey had led to many controversies in almost every major tournament since 1972.

The 1972 Summit Series, the 1984 + 1987 & 1996 Canada Cups, the 2002 & 2014 Olympics - all have seen many countries complaining about bias from Canadian Refs.

Teemu Selanne and Peter Forsberg (and Team Finland/Sweden) were very out spoken in the 2014 Olympics about the Bias from Canadian Refs.

In the 1996 Canada Cup Sweden's coach (impartial) said after the Russia vs Canada game that:
"Canada cheated it's way to victory.....Canada didn't earn two points against the Russians. They got them from the referee,''

"The other teams won't stand a chance if poor officiating continues in North America.''

Also, Team U.S.A also complained about the Canadian offside OT Goal and the man in the crease goal in Game 1 of the Finals that Canadian Refs let go.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Sep 12, 1996

"Is World Cup Still Old Canada Cup? Cheating Insinuated After Canada's Win"

Most of the suspicion stems from the way the tournament was run when it was known as the Canada Cup. It's organizer, Alan Eagleson, who selected all venues and officials, was an omnipresent figure cheering behind the Canadian Bench. He could even be seen speaking with on-ice officials during games.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=3X0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5245,1556486&hl=en

Last edited by a moderator:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would you say International Hockey has the most biased Officiating of all major sports?

The dominance of Canada Refs in International Hockey had lead to so many controversies in almost every major tournament since 1972.

The 1972 Summit Series, 1984 + 1987 + 1996 Canada Cups, 2002 + 2014 Olympics have seen many countries complaining about bias from Canadian Refs.

Selanne and Forsberg (and Team Finland/Sweden) were very out spoken in the 2014 Olympics about the Bias from Canadian Refs and in the 1996 Canada Cup Sweden's coach (impartial) said after the Russia vs Canada game that "Canada cheated it's way to victory".
No, watch an NBA game with a superstar, or the infamous Lakers vs Kings series. And please source the players complaining specifically about the players complaining about Canadian refs showing bias.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Without a doubt. Not particularly for Canada or US.

But for all the best nations when playing worse nations. Naturally the worse nations are going to pick up more minutes, but there are so many phantom calls.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Yes hockey is probably the most corrupt sport among the bigger sports, at least when we count corruption that affect the games. It is something very wrong when we can see refs from canada when canada is playing, and not only that, they also get their paycheck from NHL (canada/usa), so they are basically judging their employer.

I however agree with SirKillalot, that this goes beyond just canada/USA, all big nations often gets benefits from the refs when they face smaller nations. However it goes even father with USA and Canada, and that is probably because NHL has to much power, so IIHF have no choice then to bend over, I think it is more about how much power the fed/league have then how good the team is even when it comes to other big nations.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I would say no! but what is the alternative, IIHF incompetent officiating? because that's what IIHF officiating is, grossly incompetent.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I would say no! but what is the alternative, IIHF incompetent officiating? because that's what IIHF officiating is, grossly incompetent.

But it you have to choose between intentionally biased/partial vs. just "incompetent" refereeing - well, there's not much to talk about or decide on. The latter is the only viable choice. Such "incompetence" also evens out during a game.

PepperoniSlapshot*

Yes hockey is probably the most corrupt sport among the bigger sports, at least when we count corruption that affect the games. It is something very wrong when we can see refs from canada when canada is playing, and not only that, they also get their paycheck from NHL (canada/usa), so they are basically judging their employer.

I however agree with SirKillalot, that this goes beyond just canada/USA, all big nations often gets benefits from the refs when they face smaller nations. However it goes even father with USA and Canada, and that is probably because NHL has to much power, so IIHF have no choice then to bend over, I think it is more about how much power the fed/league have then how good the team is even when it comes to other big nations.

I agree man

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The dominance of Canadian Refs in International Hockey had led to many controversies in almost every major tournament since 1972.

The 1972 Summit Series, the 1984 + 1987 & 1996 Canada Cups, the 2002 & 2014 Olympics - all have seen many countries complaining about bias from Canadian Refs.

Teemu Selanne and Peter Forsberg (and Team Finland/Sweden) were very out spoken in the 2014 Olympics about the Bias from Canadian Refs.

In the 1996 Canada Cup Sweden's coach (impartial) said after the Russia vs Canada game that:

Also, Team U.S.A also complained about the Canadian offside OT Goal and the man in the crease goal in Game 1 of the Finals that Canadian Refs let go.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Sep 12, 1996

"Is World Cup Still Old Canada Cup? Cheating Insinuated After Canada's Win"

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=3X0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5245,1556486&hl=en

Most of it is whining. The criticisms of 1987 are quite valid, and there are valid criticisms from 1984 as well. No question there. The reffing from 1972 that you claim favoured Canada is actually the opposite - the egregious refereeing was from the East German referee who favoured the Soviets. There wasn't a big issue in 1996, having watched the tournament, it was just the standard refereeing that would be seen in the NHL at any time. The refereeing issue in 2002 was from the gold medal game of the women's tournament, and it heavily favoured the United States over Canada.

The complaints in 2014 are highly baseless - Selanne complained about Crosby going down too easily, which is difficult to prove and certainly can be found in any level of hockey. The amazing thing was actually how tiny the number of powerplays Canada received was given how they dominated possession. Forsberg's complaints were the most laughable, since he complained before the game actually took place and there were no issues once it was played. The Russian fans also complained that the Americans were favoured by an American ref, without actually bothering to look up that the ref in question was actually one of the Canadian refs brought in by Hockey Canada.

Outside of 1987 and to a lesser extent 1984 there isn'tmuch to go on at the big touraments. The IIHF tournaments (WJC, WHC) regularly feature incompetent refereeing, but I don't think it's inherently biased.

Macman

May 15, 2004
For the sake of balance, Forsberg's criticism of the refs came BEFORE the final was played. Did he complain afterwards? No. Did anyone?

Stefan Kronwall on the refs:

“We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL. We know their standards so I think it’s easier for us too if the referees are from there. We’re all used to NHL referees at this level. I think it’s the right decision.”

Erik Karlsson echoed those sentiments.

“I think most referees [in the National Hockey League] are Canadian, too,” said Karlsson. “They probably support Montreal or Toronto, but they don’t make any difference there. I couldn’t care less about what the referees do. It’s nothing we can control and neither can Canada.”

Swedish coach Par Marts:

“I don’t care. I hope they do their job. That’s all I can focus on. I can’t change it. No problem with that.”

Macman

May 15, 2004
Darius Kasparaitis after 2002 Olympics: "As usual we try to blame the referee."

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
For the sake of balance, Forsberg's criticism of the refs came BEFORE the final was played. Did he complain afterwards? No. Did anyone?

Stefan Kronwall on the refs:

“We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL. We know their standards so I think it’s easier for us too if the referees are from there. We’re all used to NHL referees at this level. I think it’s the right decision.”

Erik Karlsson echoed those sentiments.

“I think most referees [in the National Hockey League] are Canadian, too,” said Karlsson. “They probably support Montreal or Toronto, but they don’t make any difference there. I couldn’t care less about what the referees do. It’s nothing we can control and neither can Canada.”

Swedish coach Par Marts:

“I don’t care. I hope they do their job. That’s all I can focus on. I can’t change it. No problem with that.”
Yeah, I like how no one posts this "other-side" interviews, and that goes not only for the referees, but also for the World Cup. I hate this.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think the best example is Stacey Livingston who was the American referee from the Canada - USA Women's Gold Medal game at the 2002 Olympics. Remember she called what was it 8 straight penalties against Canada, who still managed to win 3-2 despite all the odds going against them.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
The complaints in 2014 are highly baseless - Selanne complained about Crosby going down too easily, which is difficult to prove and certainly can be found in any level of hockey. The amazing thing was actually how tiny the number of powerplays Canada received was given how they dominated possession.

Two power plays per game. Tied with Slovakia for the fewest of all the teams. Funny thing about Selanne's whining-it was the only penalty Finland took in the entire game!
And in the 1st period too!

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
Two power plays per game. Tied with Slovakia for the fewest of all the teams.

This, despite owning puck possession and directing play every game.

I don't think international officiating is biased. People may argue their opinions from the 70s and 80s, but even then a lot of what people call biased today is just people watching how the game used to be played with modern expectations and perceived rule-sets. There have definitely been some questionable moments over the years, but I believe most can be attributed to fans' homerism or referees' incompetence rather than corruption or bias.

I generally believe more people complain about international officiating before the game is played than they do after it has been concluded; usually because the games are officiated fairly. Likewise more people seem to complain about NHL officiating after the game rather than before. Most of it is baseless or exaggerated, and that's coming from a fan of the team that has been short-handed more than any other for the past two seasons in the NHL.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
International hockey probably has some of the least biased officiating. All officials make mistakes, but when the stakes are high and national pride is on the line, people will remember the mistakes for ages and ages. No one remembers what kinds of officiating mistakes are done in the beer leagues, therefore we can't compare too well. The fact is though, that officiating is better as the level of play goes higher.

I'm not talking about the NHL as I watch it too little to know, but Obviously international level officiating is higher than domestic.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Not anymore. With the Iron Curtain falling and the hockey world becoming ever so globalized and interconnected, the pressing need to win at all costs has subsided. Nor could referees and organizers today get away with some of the shenanigans that went on at some of the past Canada Cups, Summit Series and World Championships. Cleaner and more honest game today with more collective oversight.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
But it you have to choose between intentionally biased/partial vs. just "incompetent" refereeing - well, there's not much to talk about or decide on. The latter is the only viable choice. Such "incompetence" also evens out during a game.

Good. Then I don't expect to hear any complaints from you this May when IIHF officiating is sure to be at its most incompetent.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Most of it is whining. The criticisms of 1987 are quite valid, and there are valid criticisms from 1984 as well. No question there. The reffing from 1972 that you claim favoured Canada is actually the opposite - the egregious refereeing was from the East German referee who favoured the Soviets. There wasn't a big issue in 1996, having watched the tournament, it was just the standard refereeing that would be seen in the NHL at any time. The refereeing issue in 2002 was from the gold medal game of the women's tournament, and it heavily favoured the United States over Canada.

The complaints in 2014 are highly baseless - Selanne complained about Crosby going down too easily, which is difficult to prove and certainly can be found in any level of hockey. The amazing thing was actually how tiny the number of powerplays Canada received was given how they dominated possession. Forsberg's complaints were the most laughable, since he complained before the game actually took place and there were no issues once it was played. The Russian fans also complained that the Americans were favoured by an American ref, without actually bothering to look up that the ref in question was actually one of the Canadian refs brought in by Hockey Canada.

Outside of 1987 and to a lesser extent 1984 there isn'tmuch to go on at the big touraments. The IIHF tournaments (WJC, WHC) regularly feature incompetent refereeing, but I don't think it's inherently biased.

The "East German" referee that you reference was actually a West German. Why would a West German official be biased in favor of the Soviet Union? The Canadian team had decided by Game 6 that part of the strategy was to intimidate the amateur officials by making a big on-ice demonstration every time they were called for an obvious and grievous foul. Do you remember the clip when J.P. Parise made a gesture to hit the official (can't remember his name) over the head with his stick.

(Josef Kompalla was the West German referee).

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Good. Then I don't expect to hear any complaints from you this May when IIHF officiating is sure to be at its most incompetent.

Maybe you could make a case in 1972 that European officials were less experienced than NHL officials from Canada because they worked comparatively few games, but things have changed a great deal since then. KHL officials work just as many games as NHL officials do, and the situation is similar throughout Europe.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Why would a European/IIHF referee be biased in favour of a European/IIHF hockey team?

You're hilarious.

I'm not sure about how history was taught in your school, but there was a war fought in Europe between 1939 and 1945 in which German troops invaded the Soviet Union and tortured, raped and slaughtered nearly 30 million people, approximately the present population of the nation of Canada, and then on counterattack, Soviet troops repaid the favor on German soil. Maybe I'm going too far here, but it seems like there was a basis for some hard feelings!

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Maybe I'm going too far here, but it seems like there was a basis for some hard feelings!

Yes.

In the real world, you have a referee who is more familiar with a specific style of game, a specific set of rules, and a team of players that he had undoubtedly refereed before.

Not to mention, he was the referee that was PERSONALLY selected by the Soviet team administration.

Your absurd history lesson has never been more irrelevant.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The "East German" referee that you reference was actually a West German. Why would a West German official be biased in favor of the Soviet Union? The Canadian team had decided by Game 6 that part of the strategy was to intimidate the amateur officials by making a big on-ice demonstration every time they were called for an obvious and grievous foul. Do you remember the clip when J.P. Parise made a gesture to hit the official (can't remember his name) over the head with his stick.

(Josef Kompalla was the West German referee).

You are right about his nationality, he is generally referred to as German in Canada and I assumed East, based on his clear support of the Soviet hockey team. That's my mistake. He was horrendous in his first game in the series, and despite agreeing that he wouldn't be back the Soviets selected him to referee the final game, where he continued his poor work. Was he inherently biased? Probably not, but he certainly did a terrible job, and the Soviets were beneficiaries of his ineptitude. In the name of fairness, the Canadian team also benefited from the style/incompetence of the American refs in the initial four games of the series in a similar fashion, but no one approached the level of Kompalla. The official that Parise nearly swung at is Kompalla.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad