Would you Rather Win the Wrong Way, or Lose the Right Way?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The leafs do both of these, but never win the right way or lose the wrong way.

2 wrongs don't make a right. ;)

Leafs goal is to win the right way so you should add a 3rd option to none of the above.

The goal is to be a good Cup competitive team where their play reflects the results. You are talking about being lucky verses being unlucky.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
How do you win the wrong way? There are different ways to win. Pick a method, perfect it, and, win!

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I'd rather win the wrong way short term when you look at 1 or 2 games.

I'd rather neither when long-term is considered because we know it is not sustainable.

Rufio65*

There is no "right way" to lose. A loss is a loss.

The only thing that matters is winning, it doesn't matter how you do it.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
This is pretty stupid.

These are questions a losing fan base asks.

A win is a win and a loss is a loss. A win is worth 2 points. You don't get any bonus points for doing it the right way and you don't get docked any points for doing it the wrong way, whatever that may be.

If your team wins more than they lose, then they must be doing it the right way I guess. If your team is losing more than it wins, then most assuredly, they are doing it the wrong way.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Lose the right way.

Losing = tanking+ rebuilding which is what this team needs to do.

The right way = teaching your young players, like Kadri & Rielly, very good habits while they continue to improve individually. I have no idea how much they learned under Carlyle, but at least Horachek is teaching strong fundamentals. Can't hurt moving forward.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lose the right way.

Losing = tanking+ rebuilding which is what this team needs to do.

The right way = teaching your young players, like Kadri & Rielly, very good habits while they continue to improve individually. I have no idea how much they learned under Carlyle, but at least Horachek is teaching strong fundamentals. Can't hurt moving forward.

Yep. The team should always focus on the long term. We've seen what happens when the team wins the "wrong way" - it doesn't last

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
I would argue that winning games you get dominated by every quantifiable stat outside of shooting % and save % would qualify as winning the wrong way.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Of course on a game by game basis (when your team is at least in the playoff race at least) you don't care how they win, you just want the win. If your looking towards future success (late in the season, next year) it's much more encouraging to see a solid game plan executed properly that just falls short rather than delay the inevitable.

How much did that 10-0-1 streak help us? We must be close to locking up a playoff spot if the team can get that many wins while playing mostly bad hockey.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
I don't remember us winning the wrong way except for one shortened season.

Pretty sure last year we sucked as well.

2-7 with Carlyle before he got fired. Sure looks like a lot of winning there.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Voted "Rather Lose the Right Way"

Here's why. If you look at the last decade+ of Stanley Cup winners, you don't see many (if any) teams that used the same system as the Leafs, and had the same issues (shots against, corsi, etc.) and still overcame those to convert on the Stanley Cup.

You see the odd team make a dent here or there, last great example I remember was the Habs a few years ago when Halak was their goalie and they brought up PK Subban from Hamilton to help turn the tide against the Caps. That team was so badly outshot every night but managed to make the Conference Final.

Anyways, what we're seeing now is the result of a miscast team playing a good, successful system. Now we're in the process of culling the fat to get lean and mean. So yeah, losses will pile up playing the right way, as we gradually trim the fat off and improve the roster with players that will have success playing the right way.

Once you have a roster that is tooled for a successful system, and that roster has skilled players that play the right way, you'll not only have success, but stable, long-term success.

And that's what we're starting to work towards. Organizationally. Finally.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
At this point I'd rather lose the wrong way.

Which is by sitting players, faking injuries, whatever it takes to get the best draft pick possible.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Wins are wins. If we arent in prime position for draft picks I would take 2 points towards the playoffs nearly every time.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
As long as "winning the wrong way" doesn't include cheating, then I'm all for that.

I don't care how it's done to be honest, as long as it's within the rules.

TL12

Cam Barker MVP
Jan 3, 2014
Vancouver
To those who bash managment at every turn, I hope you guys trust management to draft the right players if the leafs start to tank, and to actually do a decent job at developing them.

Last edited:

silentbob37*

Lose the Right way.

that at least can lead to future, sustained success. Winning the wrong way just creates and fosters bad habbits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad