Would you rather finish bottom-5 this season or fight for the playoffs?

Top-5 pick or fight for a wild card spot?

• Total voters

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If it's between the two, I go with the a top 5 pick.

As we've seen this season, even with a prospect pool that is ranked at or near the top of the league, there are a lot of variables that can derail even the best laid plans and hopes.

I think we need more ammo, and I think this is probably the last draft where we actively go in and seek it.

But, in full disclosure, my mindset has always leaned toward losing some battles to win a war.

This captures my views since this whole rebuilding process started.

Instant Gratification rarely yields long term positive results.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This captures my views since this whole rebuilding process started.

Instant Gratification rarely yields long term positive results.
Exactly right. Compete, but need to be realistic in expectations and opportunistic at TDL & draft. As Edge said, and I agree, this is probably the last stage for the asset gathering via lottery picks & acquisitions at TDL.

Problem for some people will be that they will again have completely unrealistic expectations of the team. And when those expectations are naturally not met, they will blame management and we will get to hear about the failed rebuild.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
It's going to jump to #1 after they finish off their b2b's against the worst team in the league.

It gets really hard post-deadline, they will fall hard if they hopefully sell. 8 of 13 before the deadline against DET (2), BUF, LA, WIN, MIN, CHI and SJ will get them a solid amount of wins I'm guessing.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Exactly right. Compete, but need to be realistic in expectations and opportunistic at TDL & draft. As Edge said, and I agree, this is probably the last stage for the asset gathering via lottery picks & acquisitions at TDL.

Problem for some people will be that they will again have completely unrealistic expectations of the team. And when those expectations are naturally not met, they will blame management and we will get to hear about the failed rebuild.

Thats going to be such a small portion of the fan base, that group is basically already doing it or forecasting doomsday via incorrectly citing the Sabres or Oilers.

The "letter" literally went out less than 2 years ago. They're primed to take a pretty massive step forward next season. a 2.5 year turn around is pretty quick, much faster than I think any one here could have realistically expected.

If they aren't fighting for or in a playoff spot at this time next year, something went wrong.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It gets really hard post-deadline, they will fall hard if they hopefully sell. 8 of 13 before the deadline against DET (2), BUF, LA, WIN, MIN, CHI and SJ will get them a solid amount of wins I'm guessing.

I outlined it before, but even if they go 10-2-1 between now and the deadline, they're still probably going to be on the outside looking in unless everyone ahead of them realllly sucks.

That isn't happening. You may get a team that wins 8 or 9 of the 13 games, but not everyone ahead of them is going to collectively slump.

I wouldn't really put Winnipeg, Minnesota and Chicago in the gimmie category either. Those are road games and this team sucks on the road. They really hurt their chances at making a run for anything by dropping the last 2 games before the break.

Governor

Nov 8, 2019
NYR would benefit from a young, skilled center to groom into #1 center. Best way to get that is high draft pick.

I think playoffs is good for NYR but would be best if they get that center this draft and push playoffs next year.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
And for those who are quick to dump Buchnevich, Duclair says hi from the all star game.

+1

I’ve never seen a Rangers rebuild like this one. Sure, the Callahan, Dubinsky group and adding to the ‘91 group was a rebuild yet this is basically a tear it down to the ground rebuild, especially once Hank and Staal are gone a year plus from now,

Who knew we would have a plethora of young kids and have this emerging clock in which the stock to rotate younger players, Like Busch, is on the radar b/c other talent is coming? This is tricky b/c you can’t rush development and too often we see a DuClair and ADA pull it together after other wrote them off.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thats going to be such a small portion of the fan base, that group is basically already doing it or forecasting doomsday via incorrectly citing the Sabres or Oilers.

The "letter" literally went out less than 2 years ago. They're primed to take a pretty massive step forward next season. a 2.5 year turn around is pretty quick, much faster than I think any one here could have realistically expected.

If they aren't fighting for or in a playoff spot at this time next year, something went wrong.

Next year will be interesting.

It's a fairly tight league and as we're seeing this season, the difference between sitting with the 15th pick and out of the playoffs, vs. sitting with the 26th pick and 4th playoff spot in the East, could be as little as 2 points by the end of January 2021.

If that's the case, the pressure on the team, and expressed on these boards, could be fairly intense.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

This is where I think that we need to be careful. What is your definition of "massive"? My expectation of them is that they will be a "cusp" team next year. So when you say fighting for a playoff spot, I see it as competing for one of the last playoff spots. Whether they get in or not, that would represent a pretty big step forward. At least to me. I think if your expectation is that this team is firmly in a playoff spot a year from now, you may be in for disappointment.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is where I think that we need to be careful. What is your definition of "massive"? My expectation of them is that they will be a "cusp" team next year. So when you say fighting for a playoff spot, I see it as competing for one of the last playoff spots. Whether they get in or not, that would represent a pretty big step forward. At least to me. I think if your expectation is that this team is firmly in a playoff spot a year from now, you may be in for disappointment.

As we've discussed, this is more or less where I see them next year. I think they're a bubble team next year --- and one that might make a deadline move if they feel it gets them over the top. Next year is the start of the next chapter for this team, but the chapter isn't going to begin and end within 2020-21. I think they might start resembling the team we really hope they can become during the 2021-22 season.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be.

If they are where they are this year and injuries aren't a factor, something went terribly wrong.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I don’t care what anyone says. We need a young, cost-controlled center with elite upside. Someone who makes players around him better. Getting someone like that in a trade is nearly impossible, unless the player really doesn’t want to play for the team that drafted him. Finding an undrafted FA like that? Even harder. So that only leaves the draft. Panarin is great, and even if we don’t get that C, we’ll have a chance with him. Kakko should also help a lot, although I don’t think he will be nearly as good as Panarin. We also don’t have a true 1D, and while K’Andre may have that upside, it is much more likely he becomes a good top 4. Igor could maybe steal us a Cup one year, but I wouldn’t bet a lot of money on it.

We need to be competitive for a long time. In my opinion, it’s better to have a small window for a long time than to have a huge window for only a couple years.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
So, for the next season and a half, don't try to win....just lose for a chance at a better pick?

Then tell us why any fans should show up to watch them? For the joy of losing?

Ohhhh....this is how you build a team....cause it's always about the far future....every year. It's not only "wait till next year"...its keep playing for years down the road...and when those years come up, well then....just lose for the following year. Brilliant!

Can we get a date when it's okay to try to win again....this is all just so confusing.
I agree it’s annoying as all hell to see fan bases and “muh future” year after year. If you always focus on the future, you won’t win anything. You have to go for it sometimes. But in this case, I say one more year of rebuilding. Sell this TDL, and then start to become competitive next year. That was always what I envisioned them doing. Then, when the Hank, Staal, and Smith contracts are up, you can start really competing.

The problem is, most prospects don’t reach their ceiling and a lot of them don’t even come close. If we sell, we give up sure things in Kreider and Strome, who still have a few good years left. It’s tough to replace guys like that, no matter how “expendable” they may seem.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
In a perfect world, they win more than they lose, but so do the teams they are chasing. Getting a top 5 pick would be amazing. I have said from the beginning that one more year of swinging for the fences in the draft would be ideal. Everything changes next year. Not that the record will be radically different, but some of the games they came up short in this year should be wins next year. I wouldn't be surprised with barely missing next year. That would be a good season in the big picture.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Just tell me what to think using any cherry picked stats you can to support your position. Make sure to completely invalidate any opinion to the contrary too.

Strawman the shit out of any dissenters. If someone tells you "I just think we would really help our rebuild with a higher pick" argue as if they said "a higher pick will guarantee us a cup win".

If they say they think we have the talent and winning may help them grow into a contender, then make sure to condescendingly remind them that pick 20 isnt worth as much as pick 3

You're not here to read or have a discussion, you're here to win

I vote top 5 pick
It could help our rebuild if it turns out to be an elite player

Quick, someone tell me how many top 5 picks go bust as if I said we're guaranteed to land an elite talent!!!

Last edited:

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
This type of thinking, aka lack of patience, is what leads to the dreaded middle. You don't want it done right, you want it done fast.
nah...you don't see anywhere in my post where I say to stop the rebuilding...I am certainly a believer in it....but the narrative will be that every year we need to lose to get a better chance at a higher pick. My question is when is it okay to root for wins again? This is year 3 of the rebuild....and next year will be year 4...and so on, and so on. I ask again....when is it okay to want to win again?

Is it after we hoard as many pics as possible? Or when we are able to win it all, and not be in "the dreaded middle".....going from getting a high draft pick right to Stanley Cup Champions seems to be what you are saying....when does that happen?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

If they are where they are this year and injuries aren't a factor, something went terribly wrong.

Assuming they trade Kreider, Fast and maybe even someone like Strome or Buch between now and the start of next season, where is this dramatic improvement coming from? You still have Staal and Smith here. The names people are throwing around as trade targets are all bottom six guys. And the first round draft picks they'd acquire for these players, even first rounders, can't be expected to step in a make a difference next season. Outside of the progression we expect from Chytil and Kakko, Fox and Lindgren who steps in and replaces what they lose/trade away next year? I'd expect another season like this to be honest.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

You don;t see why they shouldn't be what? Firmly entrenched at a playoff team at this time next year? I think that you are setting yourself up for some very real disappointment. They are not going to be ready for that, IMO. Now compete as a cusp team? Sure.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As we've discussed, this is more or less where I see them next year. I think they're a bubble team next year --- and one that might make a deadline move if they feel it gets them over the top. Next year is the start of the next chapter for this team, but the chapter isn't going to begin and end within 2020-21. I think they might start resembling the team we really hope they can become during the 2021-22 season.
Completely agree with this. I think that anyone expecting more than that (being a bubble team) is going to be setting themselves up for major disappointment (and we will get to hear how the coaching staff and management are failing the franchise, as opposed to having unrealistic expectations). Next year should be the beginning of the rise, and the following year should be the beginning of what should be a successful run. Or so I hope. That is also when you will probably see one of those Nash type of trades to come along.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
nah...you don't see anywhere in my post where I say to stop the rebuilding...I am certainly a believer in it....but the narrative will be that every year we need to lose to get a better chance at a higher pick. My question is when is it okay to root for wins again? This is year 3 of the rebuild....and next year will be year 4...and so on, and so on. I ask again....when is it okay to want to win again?

Is it after we hoard as many pics as possible? Or when we are able to win it all, and not be in "the dreaded middle".....going from getting a high draft pick right to Stanley Cup Champions seems to be what you are saying....when does that happen?

How can you predict a narrative that hasn't happened yet?

The Rangers aren't good this year. They aren't a playoff team. That's why the narrative this year is be as bad as possible and get the best pick possible. It was plain as day from the start of the season just as it is now. If you didn't see that, that's on you.

Patience is a virtue. Learn it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A lot of next year really depends on how this TDL goes, how guys develop (or don't), and what the market looks like this summer.

Is Kakko pushing 40 some odd points next year? Does Kravtsov provide some offensive depth? Do the Rangers get some middle six help moving a guy like Georgiev? Does Fox keep moving forward in his sophomore season? Do the Rangers find some stability on the left side of their defense.

The key next year wouldn't necessarily be a one for one replacement of someone like Kreider, it's whether or not the offensive production is more or less covered with additional depth, and whether the defense progresses enough to shore up games when the offense isn't carrying the team.

Reactions: mulli25

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don’t care what anyone says. We need a young, cost-controlled center with elite upside. Someone who makes players around him better. Getting someone like that in a trade is nearly impossible, unless the player really doesn’t want to play for the team that drafted him. Finding an undrafted FA like that? Even harder. So that only leaves the draft. Panarin is great, and even if we don’t get that C, we’ll have a chance with him. Kakko should also help a lot, although I don’t think he will be nearly as good as Panarin. We also don’t have a true 1D, and while K’Andre may have that upside, it is much more likely he becomes a good top 4. Igor could maybe steal us a Cup one year, but I wouldn’t bet a lot of money on it.

We need to be competitive for a long time. In my opinion, it’s better to have a small window for a long time than to have a huge window for only a couple years.
Do they need a #1 D? Sure. Those do not grow on trees. Maybe they can get luck and find another Trouba clone and have a competent top pair.

The center thing may or may not already be solved. ZBad IS an elite top line center. Chytil is coming up in the wings and can develop into a second line center. What will also make this interesting is what they will do with Strome. When they are really getting ready to compete, the ability of playing Panarin and ZBad on two separate lines would be huge. Especially when the latter takes on the top opposing players. One of the many, many reasons why this TDL & possible draft deal will clarify what they roster will look like in the near to mid future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad