Would you rather finish bottom-5 this season or fight for the playoffs?

Top-5 pick or fight for a wild card spot?

• Total voters

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Next year is when the fun starts and we make noise.
Not exactly hearing crickets right now. I mean we all know that they are NOT Cup contenders, but to go from where they were to where they are has been pretty remarkable.

Now, naturally, here comes the beatd own in philly and the pitchforks will be out tomorrow.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not exactly hearing crickets right now. I mean we all know that they are NOT Cup contenders, but to go from where they were to where they are has been pretty remarkable.

Now, naturally, here comes the beatd own in philly and the pitchforks will be out tomorrow.
No not crickets, but Shest was a HUGE reason why we started this amazing little run. We had no business winning a few of those games and if he wasn't here nobody would be talking about us.

We are on a nice run, but it's still a young team, and young teams tend to be inconsistent. If we hit a rough patch in the next month, along with playing a tough schedule, it could drop us several spots down in the standing quickly.

A full year with Shest in net, and another year for the kids to train and prepare in the off season will do us wonders. Definitely not contenders next season, but finishing top 3 in the metro? I can absolutely see that next year, and that would be remarkable for a team that started a complete rebuild a couple years ago.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I would understand one thing if we were playing like shit and getting wins solely on the backs of luck+goaltending. (Basically NYR from 2007-15, except AV's first season). Then, I'd feel utterly hopeless about the team (which I did TBF until the new year) and we need that top pick.

But the past ~25-30ish games, they're actually playing amazing and controlling the flow of play and taking it to the other team. I haven't see this sort of sustained play as a fan of this team for ages.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We are on a nice run, but it's still a young team, and young teams tend to be inconsistent. If we hit a rough patch in the next month, along with playing a tough schedule, it could drop us several spots down in the standing quickly.
No one is debating that he has helped. But the entire team is playing better. The lessons of the entire year seem to be setting in. And the PP has reached new heights. Frankly the best it has looked in ages. Having a goalie be outstanding in net only helps, but there are other factors.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Who is this mythical pick that's going to "solidify" the rebuild? You've already got a top 9 that includes Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Strome, Kakko and Chytil, with Kravtsov waiting in the wings, and ample assets to possibly trade for another forward, not to mention a wild card like Gauthier. As it is, you've got two 1sts in the upcoming draft. This team is learning what it takes to win in this league, and develop from that challenge is very important, and you can't quantify. Again, everyone here would love to win the lottery. But, at this point, you bet your ass I want to see this team keep winning and pressing for a playoff. If they fall short, so be it.

:laugh:

“Mythical.”

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
For a team with so many young/rookie players, this playoff stretch run is invaluable.

Think about it, none of these players have experienced one yet:

Kakko
Chytil
Fox
Lindgren
Howden
DeAngelo
Gauthier
Georgiev
Shesterkin

That's half our defence, a third of our forwards, and potentially our goaltending duo. This will be huge for their development.

They are gonna get that experience next year if they don’t get it this year.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Ok, but why not get it when they weren't expected to compete so they have it when we're really ready to compete?

Because I think the forwards still need more skilled talent long term and it’s much harder to acquire once the team starts making the playoffs and you have to start paying your kids.

Way easier to get more talent now and then get the experience next season.

The experience, as I’ve pointed out elsewhere, is overstated.

It’s important but so many teams acquire it organically. What’s the rush? I think people are just impatient and tired of losing. Or they feel like they are wasting Panarin, Kreider and Mika if we don’t win before they are 30.

Not saying endless rebuild. I think the forward depth for the future is decidedly lacking though. If anything goes wrong, if anyone leaves in FA or declines due to age earlier than we expect, we are gonna be pretty thin with not much in terms of quality to replace them in the system. I want another Chytil or two at least in the system, if not another Kravtsov level prospect.

Getting a top-10 stud in this draft would go a lot farther in insulating us long term. Whereas the experience will come, I’m not worried about that. Why does it have to be this year? Are we winning this year or next? No. It will come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad