Would you play in the NHL or NFL?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
LOL @ The Walking Thread here, but hey, after reading through it I guess I'll chuck in my two cents.

I played a few sports growing up. My favorite was soccer. I liked baseball but I wasn't a fan of flamethrowers who wanted to show how good they were by aiming at your helmet, so I stopped playing competitively after a while and just played for fun.

The pro sports career I'd have loved to have done would have been auto racing, though. Growing up in Indianapolis, the one thing I wanted to do more than anything was race in the Indy 500. And if I thought I could do it now at my advancing age, I would do it without hesitation - no matter how many guys I've known who got crippled or killed doing it.

As for NHL/NFL, I hate that the discussion about them inevitably turns into some testosterone test about who is too girly. For me, the question isn't about manliness, it's about what type of team environment you want to be in. I'd prefer hockey because you're twenty guys on the bench every game, all pulling in the same direction, rather than siloed within your own special teams or niches like you are on a pro football team. But given the fact that both of these sports encourage play that can and does result in life-changing head injuries, I'd probably steer clear of both of them even for the huge salaries the players get - largely because of my own head injury history and how it has affected me and will affect me until I die.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
I'd prefer winning the NCAA Division 1 Cross Country Championship, Olympic 10,000/5000 or Steeplechase but my real answer is, Id like to have some kind of talent to excel in ANYTHING...Id take it as far as it would get me.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think the trend we're starting to see of NFL players retiring "early" is something that will become more popular. Hockey has even more of a tough guy, walk it off culture so it'll take longer for that kind of mentality to change. There's some progress though. There was a cool article by Gabe Landeskog about concussions and how you have to let yourself recover and get away from the "play through everything" mentality.

The answer to the question for me is an obvious yes, but with the caveat that I'm sure how long I'd play for. I think Chris Borland had the right idea, get your education paid for, play for a season or 2 and make some serious money then move on.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm going to be a pro golfer and after a few years gonna drop out of tournaments even if it's only pecking rain!!!

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
https://medicalgasresearch.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13618-015-0028-0

Worth the read. I have long advocated the use of HBOT as a regular part of athletes recovery, including implementing it in the concussion protocol. It is my belief every arena should have a chamber.

The above commentary may touch on the real reason it is not; just like the use of Ozone and B17 in US medicine...money, or rather, the lack of profit.

Testimony from a nobody.

Testimony from a somebody...maybe you've heard of him?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Took me a bit to even remember I originally created this thread. My answer is still an emphatic yes. The pay off is easily worth the risk IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad