Would you make a strong offer to Matt Niskanen this summer ?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Markov is still roughly as effective as someone like Niskanen or Gilbert, and it's guaranteed Markov signs here for 2-3 years while there's no guarantee you sign those guys (could easily be 15-20 teams chasing them with cap going up), and if you do sign them it would be on some absurd 5-7 year contract. Markov is clearly still the lowest risk, best contract option, yes he is not getting any better, but he's not BAD, and the alternatives carry huge risk, for at best a marginal performance upgrade.

I'd say Markov is more effective than Niskanen, he plays much tougher minutes while Niskanen is usually insulated by Orpik Martin and Letang.

Gilbert is a clear downgrade both sides of the puck. On most teams he's a #4.

But I agree with your main point 100%.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
$4.5 million max on Niskanen, personally I think everyone playing on Pitsburgh's team points wise is inflated because of Malkin, Crosby. Most of Niskanen's points have come from 2nd assists. Someone said Brian Campbell would be a better option and I agree because Campbell skates well and move the puck. Also Florida needs to retain some money.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yes but I don't think he'll want to come play for my beer league team. All we can offer him are beer and Timbits.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
$4.5 million max on Niskanen, personally I think everyone playing on Pitsburgh's team points wise is inflated because of Malkin, Crosby. Most of Niskanen's points have come from 2nd assists. Someone said Brian Campbell would be a better option and I agree because Campbell skates well and move the puck. Also Florida needs to retain some money.

4.5 mil won't come close to getting Niskanen as a UFA if it goeslike the last few years.

If you're going to trade for Campbell and get hem to retain salary it will cost guys like Fucale, Tinordi, DLR or Lehkonen...again why is his a better option than just keeping Mrakov 2 years at 11-12 mil?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn, one or more of these d-men will be ready to move into the roster next year. Why would we need to go after another expensive d-man.

If we're going to trade Markov, I'd try to bolster the offense both in the big club and in Hamilton. Our forward prospects are a few years removed and we need to fill that gap; whereas the defence has those three I mentioned and possibly Nygren too.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Gilbert took that late because the long term deal he wanted wasn't there. We had already signed Murray and had 8 guys on 1 way deals. He could have probably gotten a lot more earlier in the summer but with so little cap space available after the first UFA wave money dried up.

Not sure what it is you are arguing about.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
People still getting fooled by career year UFAs on stacked teams? Niskanen will never hit 20 points again if he leaves the Crosby Malkin PP unit. Which he will regardless when Letang is healthy.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
People still getting fooled by career year UFAs on stacked teams? Niskanen will never hit 20 points again if he leaves the Crosby Malkin PP unit. Which he will regardless when Letang is healthy.

With the Pens pipeline on defense I bet he walks and gets huge money...and it blows up big time.

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl
I wouldn't. I would keep the cap space and litteraly give the #7 D spot to Magnus Nygren and hope for the best like we did with both Streit and Diaz. He has the potential to be a good one.

Finally someone who hasn't already thrown the towel at Nygren.

I think he'd a great bottom pairing with powerplay time or 7D.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If we deal Markov I think Campbell would be a better replacement if the Panthers don't ask for too much in return.

Niskanen is having a great season, playing top minutes for the Pens and has even played on the #1 pp untit even when Letang was playing. The only problem I have with him is I think he is having a season he might never have again. Solid player, great shot but not sure I'd go more then 4.5 per

Campbell sounds better to me...re-creates some of Markov's offense

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Actually, he's one of the few players I'd overpay to get. Unlike Clarkson who is useless if he puts up no points, Niskanen isn't.

Also I consider Subban and Markov better than anyone on the pens d. Letang is probably better than Markov mind you, but he's been riddled with injuries. Imagine how succesful Niskanen could be with PK, Markov, etc.

He's young, he's good in both ends, he would cost money the team has, but he would fill an essential need and solidify our d for years. if I'm MB I go bold and make a solid offer with a lengthy term. I don't see Niskanen being a Komi, he really is good.

Prime example of a guy MB should target and should overpay for. A young player with upside and skill who addresses an immediate need. Not guys like Briere who fill absolutely no need at all.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I like Niskanen a lot, and he's a good player...but I would be terrified about the Habs letting Markov go and bringing in Niskanen to replace him, while paying him as such. And I think there are enough teams desperate enough to pay him like he's a first pairing guy.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Andrej Meszaros?

- Young (28yo)
- Big (6'2 223lbs)
- Puck mover
- Decent defensively
- Fairly physical
- LD but is just as proficient at RD
- Familiar with bilingual Canada (3 seasons in Ottawa)
- Had a bad year last year and has had injuries this year, could come cheap
- Good production 35gp/16pts this year and 4 seasons over 30pts

I'd take a chance on him if he were to sign for under 5milx5yrs.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Look at his +/-, and he has almost the same number of points as Subban.

According to some of the clowns in this forum, that alone makes him 100x better than Subban.

We should sign him to an 8yr, 100 mil contract right away!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad