Would you like to see the KHL Adopt North American NHL Sized Rinks?

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
First of all, actual regulations are:

International ring size: 61 metres (200 ft) × 30.5 metres (100 ft)
NHL ring size: 61 m (200 feet ) × 26 m (85 feet)

Simple answer is no, because:
1. KHL regulations allow sized rink from 60m x 20m (even smaller then NHL size).
2. Many teams in KHL already has smaller rings, for example SKA, Salavat Yulayev, Ak Bars, Riga, Minsk, Lev, Slovan, Medvescak..

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
2. Many teams in KHL already has smaller rings, for example SKA, Salavat Yulayev, Ak Bars, Riga, Minsk, Lev, Slovan, Medvescak..
Any idea what are the rink measurements for those clubs?

I wish that Jokerit would play in smaller rink as IMO it would suit them better.

Btw does every KHL team have modern "safety rinks" like in NHL?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
First of all, actual regulations are:

International ring size: 61 metres (200 ft) × 30.5 metres (100 ft)
NHL ring size: 61 m (200 feet ) × 26 m (85 feet)

Simple answer is no, because:
1. KHL regulations allow sized rink from 60m x 20m (even smaller then NHL size).

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...]=8939&cHash=725436ec066ccdc8f8e83fc041a1cce9

The dimension of the rink is adjusted to 26-30 on 60 metres (old: 29-30 on 60-61 metres) with other dimensions in IIHF competition needing IIHF approval.

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
Any idea what are the rink measurements for those clubs?

I wish that Jokerit would play in smaller rink as IMO it would suit them better.

Btw does every KHL team have modern "safety rinks" like in NHL?

SKA, Salavat Yulayev, Ak Bars, Riga, Minsk - NHL size
Lev, Slovan, Medvescak - 29x60 m (Finnland model)

The dimension of the rink is adjusted to 26-30 on 60 metres (old: 29-30 on 60-61 metres) with other dimensions in IIHF competition needing IIHF approval.

not really important.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
not really important.

Yes it is, you were off by half a meter on the rink width.

Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png

TemplateR

Jan 4, 2014
Dortmund
It pretty much means all leagues. E.g. KHL is under IIHF jurisdiction when it comes to transfers cards etc.

Every League can decided on which rink-size they will play. And thats all the time.
A DEL-Club e.g. can play on NHL-Size, if they wanted to play. Becaus its written in the DEL-Rulebook.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
KHL is not a IIHF-competition.

Neither is FEL, they have their own rules very similiar to IIHF though. There are rules that IIHF wouldn't accept in FEL. FEL2 and lower are federations leagues.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
I've been thinking about this for a while. I would definitely like the KHL to become more physical, but would the NHL-size rink make the league NHL-level physical? I don't think so, I think it's more about the mentality of the players. But signing players from the AHL is not the best way to increase physicality of the league, because the AHL as a source of players is not limitless when it comes to players' quality and it has limits which are more and more visible with more teams in the KHL.
Shortly, I would like the KHL to use smaller rink size as standard, but European kids also need to be taught to skate hard and hit hard from young age.

Last edited:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

Why NHL size is optimal for two talented teams, here are the two best club teams in the World going at it. This would never be as exciting with the larger dimensions being so far away from the net and the defensive struggle that exists and the many other nuances of large ice Hockey.

Need we be reminded,

2010 Olympics, greatest tournament of all time.
2014 Olympics, with so many of the same players, was this tournament successful? Now let's not discuss why this was the most boring tournament in International Hockey History...

There's a reason for that.

Skilled Hockey is meant to be played on NHL or shall I say, the real surface. Game is at electrifying speeds, a pace that can never be imagined on the larger surface, the moves are much more dazzling in the sense of not actual dekes but because players actually can get to the net and generate chances instead of being on the half boards and being so far away, and physical contact, yes, physical contact matters in this sport, players have the ability to be finished by forecheckers, and the dmen have the ability to step up and absolutely destroy forwards. Angling players away and finishing them off physically can absolutely enthrall a crowd. The ability to step up on players and force them to make quick reactions is quite something. Would players have the ability to hit like this on the larger surface because of the extra space?

NHL surface = attacking, forcing pressure Hockey. You can not hold back, if you do, you will be on the losing end at all times.

Large surface = Majority of teams play a deep 1-2-2 / 1-4 and never engage in pressure defense, always staying back and not forcing the play.

Now that is not too say it can't offer exciting Hockey, it certainly can, but for money's worth if you are paying a ticket, Hockey is much more pleasurable on the eye on the NHL surface.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Large surface = Majority of teams play a deep 1-2-2 / 1-4 and never engage in pressure defense, always staying back and not forcing the play.

And the other teams play Soviet style east-west hockey and win Gagarin Cup.

I'd rather see a few boring defensive teams than lose that just to have more of the same as in the NHL. I mean really, if I want that, I just watch the NHL.

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
Something between NHL and International size is ideal for me, but what (i think) is really important, is to unify sizes of ice ring in NHL, KHL and on international stage

Honestly, you shouldn't be offended by his correction or get on the defensive side, he was right to point out your mistake.

Offended? Nope. Defensive? Nope. Mistake? I don't make mistakes!

I just can't handle those changes approved just 24.05.2014 on IIHF Congress, still recovering from the meaning of "ice rink" presented there..

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Every League can decided on which rink-size they will play. And thats all the time.
A DEL-Club e.g. can play on NHL-Size, if they wanted to play. Becaus its written in the DEL-Rulebook.

Point was that IIHF rule changes doesn't force to use, but opens up the use of even NHL size rinks on international competitions.

No! Never! Especially after watching the NHL playoffs.

Well somebody picked the wrong conference to watch the games (ie. Eastern). :laugh: Western conference finals between the Kings and Hawks were a showcase of how modern, entertaining hockey can be played in small rink plus in the finals Kings played very entertaining offensive hockey. Every time someones says there's only dump & chase in NHL, that person shows they don't actually watch the games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad