Would you like to see Pierre McGuire become a NHL GM one day?

Would you like to see Pierre McGuire become a NHL GM one day?

• Total voters

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
thats really more of an indictment on you and your decision making than anything
Because I trust someone with NHL coaching experience to build a team over someone with zero coaching experience and zero playing experience?

… and that opinion is an indictment on my decision making? Hmm.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Because I trust someone with NHL coaching experience to build a team over someone with zero coaching experience and zero playing experience?

… and that opinion is an indictment on my decision making? Hmm.

lol coaching experience or player experience is more important than GM experience for a GM job? Yeah I’d say that is an indictment of your decision making if you truly believe that

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
lol coaching experience or player experience is more important than GM experience for a GM job? Yeah I’d say that is an indictment of your decision making if you truly believe that
Yes. Players and coaches are in the middle of it.

A GM is in the stands or press box. When they’ve only ever been in the stands with no coaching or playing experience, they’ll surely lack perspective.

We see that over and over with Dubas.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Tell that to Geoff Molson

molson to his credit does not really seem to inject himself into hockey decisions. He gets criticism by bergevin haters for keeping the man employed, but he doesn’t seem to be injecting himself into hockey decision like truly bad owners such as Katz, Dolan, Aquilini, pegula, etc

Reactions: HarrisonFord

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I would love for Pierre to GM a team I hate like the Penguins and just utterly ruin the franchise.

Reactions: Lt Dan

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Yes. Players and coaches are in the middle of it.

A GM is in the stands or press box. When they’ve only ever been in the stands with no coaching or playing experience, they’ll surely lack perspective.

We see that over and over with Dubas.
Ah yes, like the glorious coaching careers of Lou Lams, David Poille, Doug Armstrong, Julien BriseBois, Etc.

and lol you’re really harping on this “player” point like Pierre had some storied hockey playing career. Guy played defence at a liberal arts college where he was also the QB and a pitcher so not sure just how strong the competition was. Then played a year in the Netherlands. What a hockey player!

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
Not sure about a GM role, but he would certainly be very valuable to any team in another role.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Wouldn’t mind it if he was a nucks gm. He said some crazy stuff cringe worthy for sure , but wouldn’t mind seeing it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I’d love for him to be appointed as the Penguins’ GM after Hextall so he can ruin their future and tank that franchise straight into the ground.

After tanking for multiple years, he then passes on the next Carey Price at the draft and uses the pick to draft the next Dustin Tokarski instead.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't know where I came across this article, but it's a hilarious read on his brief past as a head coach.
Pierre McGuire was "pompous and arrogant" with Hartford Whalers and why Coyotes should stay away

It might explain why nobody wants to work with him. He seems to have a personality that just doesn't work well with others.

Another fun read
MCGUIRE'S TENURE A BAD SITUATION

"Once when he was an assistant coach, McGuire bragged about his strategy to shut down Mario Lemieux. This was after a 7-3 loss and four goals by Kevin Stevens."

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweetpotato

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I don't know where I came across this article, but it's a hilarious read on his brief past as a head coach.
Pierre McGuire was "pompous and arrogant" with Hartford Whalers and why Coyotes should stay away

It might explain why nobody wants to work with him. He seems to have a personality that just doesn't work well with others.

Another fun read
MCGUIRE'S TENURE A BAD SITUATION

"Once when he was an assistant coach, McGuire bragged about his strategy to shut down Mario Lemieux. This was after a 7-3 loss and four goals by Kevin Stevens."

To the bolded, you sir win the thread, this has to be true. My world depends on it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Its Dorion's last year of his contract...if he isn't extended....
PD ,I think has suffered from his boss...He has made some mistakes for sure,but he does seem like a hard working guy that does have an eye for young talent...So I am kinda on the fence about cutting him loose

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
PD ,I think has suffered from his boss...He has made some mistakes for sure,but he does seem like a hard working guy that does have an eye for young talent...So I am kinda on the fence about cutting him loose

I'm saying to save your team, he shouldn't.
Could be bad, since Habs are looking at him, when Bergevin steps down after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad