Rumor: Would you have done it, Pool for Lias?

Would you have traded Pool for Lias as rumored?

• Total voters

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sure yet at the exact same time we're told it's absolutely fine for Kravtsov to being just that...seems like a bit of a double standard.
I mean, there are a couple hundred people that post here, and you're acting as if all these different opinions belong to all the same people. Yeah, if you assume everyone has all the opinions, you're going to find some hypocrisy. :laugh:

With regard specifically to JP leaving for Finland, I can somewhat understand that. He's been in the US for three or four years and eventually grew frustrated with his role in a horribly-run franchise and asked for a trade. He didn't get one, so he left. Kravtsov on the other hand just got here and left after 5 AHL games. If you can't see the difference, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Rangers reached a bit with Lias. I think they looked at the intangibles and saw captain maybe Daniel Alfredsson material. That dropoff in that draft came one guy before him--so it was a reach but it wasn't a ridiculous one. Chytil was also a reach--a climber and that's working out pretty well all things considered.

Andersson should turn into a decent 3rd liner anyway. Would I trade him for Puljujarvi? No.

I've said this before, but if I can get a Mike Ricci type out of Andersson, I'm thrilled. If it's Manny Malhotra/Scott Thornton, I'm okay with that too.

At this point, I think the hopes for a ROR/Bo Horvat type have come and gone. But I'm not really an all or nothing person either.

I think there's plenty of floors to be found between the penthouse and the basement.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
really not a believer in JP. Gonna be another one of those guys teams will always want to kick the tires on to see if they can unlock that 4th overall potential but idk I don't see anything special about him skill wise and thats not even getting into his hockey IQ which from all reports from Oilers fans is in the red.

Regarding Lias, i'm not too concerned about "wasting" a draft pick on him, that was a weak draft and all the the top end guys were taken by the time we went up, Arizona knew this and thats why they were more than happy to trade the pick. Since that pick we've accumulated so many talented prospects that its not a killer. However from watching interviews and stuff Lias seems like he's a great kid and I want him to succeed in the NHL. If it's with a different organization, so be it.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I can't help but wonder if this kid started in the AHL and was productive what exactly would the narrative have been ? Would he still be regarded with legitimate upside or would he be regarded as a future bottom 6 player? I very much am interested to see within the next couple months if he's producing well or poorly what the narrative will become

Deleted member 23124

I don't think this was anything more than speculation that was co-opted from our board by Larry Brooks. None of the big guys ever mentioned anything like this to my recollection.
My Oiler buds tell me the buzz has been in Edmonton as well.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
To the best of my knowledge, Andersson for JP hasn't been discussed.

JP did come up over the summer in extended talks with Edmonton, but those dropped off over the summer.

Reactions: Berserk

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Interesting because they don't belong to this site.
Things from here end up all over Twitter and blogs. I have yet to see one reputable news source report that this is a potential deal that has been discussed or even considered. With all due respect to your OIler buds.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
if this trade was on the table Gorton probably would have pulled the trigger already

I doubt Edmonton has much interest in Lias. Or really any team.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
This comes down to preference of the kind of prospect you would rather have, like @Edge mentioned earlier. A player with a greater chance of being an NHLer, but a bottom 6 forward rather than top 6, versus a player with a lesser chance of being an NHLer, but a top 6 potential.

Call me a gambler, and this is one that could very well be a bad loss, but I'll take as many stabs as possible at getting legit top 6ers. It is easier to find bottom 6 players both in free agency and the draft. I am also intrigued by getting another young Finn in here with that kind of potential too. For me, this is more about gambling on JP than it is a dislike for Andersson, since I think Andersson will be a fine player at some point.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
IMO, I always go for potential, so I would have done it. However, this is nothing against Lias. I think he could benefit from a change in scenery, seeing how Howden is being given more opportunities anyways. Puljujarvi is an enigma and I don't think he's a smart hockey player. I really don't think the change in scenery will benefit him as much as it will benefit Lias. I don't like his character, but hey the upside is there. As @bbny said above, and what I said once a few months ago, players like Lias are a bit easier to find in free agency. And no, the Puljujarvi situation is nowhere near the same as the Kravtsov situation. Kravtsov > Puljujarvi.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This comes down to preference of the kind of prospect you would rather have, like @Edge mentioned earlier. A player with a greater chance of being an NHLer, but a bottom 6 forward rather than top 6, versus a player with a lesser chance of being an NHLer, but a top 6 potential.

Call me a gambler, and this is one that could very well be a bad loss, but I'll take as many stabs as possible at getting legit top 6ers. It is easier to find bottom 6 players both in free agency and the draft. I am also intrigued by getting another young Finn in here with that kind of potential too. For me, this is more about gambling on JP than it is a dislike for Andersson, since I think Andersson will be a fine player at some point.

I'm with you here. Bottom 6 depth is replacable. Top 6 costs a lot of in UFA.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

And truth be told, I'm probably on the other end of the equation.

I still think Andersson can give us something useful that we'll need down the middle --- even if it's "only" a third line role.

With JP, I find myself trying to balance two players. The prospect he was until Spring 2016, and then guy I started to see that spring and continue to see since. So in that regard, I'm not totally sold on the top 6 potential --- at least not to an extent beyond what we already have in Kakko, Kravtsov, Panarin and even Buch. Obviously it's great to deal from a position of strength, but I do question what kind of environment we could provide to make that happen and get him there.

On the flip side of that, I could probably make a similar argument concerning environment when it comes to Andersson right now.

I just feel like more confident in what Andersson has shown me in the AHL, and getting that to translate to the NHL, then I am in getting what JP has shown at the AHL to translate (and upscale) to the NHL level.

Would I be devastated if we made the trade? Eh, probably not. But it's not really my first choice either.

Deleted member 23124

Things from here end up all over Twitter and blogs. I have yet to see one reputable news source report that this is a potential deal that has been discussed or even considered. With all due respect to your OIler buds.
Thanks for the clarification (this is not sarcasm)...I don't read any blogs and keep a continent's distance away from social media.

Reactions: nyr2k2

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I thought this team is rebuilding? Why not take a shot at a guy with way more potential than a bottom 6 forward? Those defending Lias here are talking like the Rangers are just a piece or two away from having 4 great lines. Bottom 6 forwards are a dime a dozen, easily attainable when and if the Rangers are in a position to add more specific role players. Look at what happened in 94 as an example of how role players can be obtained.

If Puljarvi actually reached his potential given his skill set, it would mean a potential 20-30 goal scorer. Based on Lias’ skill set I can’t ever see him getting those numbers.

The Rangers have a pipe line developing but I’d constantly be trying to get players with huge upside. Lias is not that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00