Rumor: Would you have done it, Pool for Lias?

Would you have traded Pool for Lias as rumored?

• Total voters

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I don't think this was anything more than speculation that was co-opted from our board by Larry Brooks. None of the big guys ever mentioned anything like this to my recollection.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Personally I think Lias has a brighter future in the NHL because he’ll at least learn to be a very good third line center whereas Puljujaarvi is basically top six or bust and has shown limited IQ and willingness to work through adversity. However, I don’t think Lias’ future will be in NY unless this stint in Hartford goes very well. From a pure asset point of view, I suppose it makes sense to pull the trigger. Puljujaarvi could benefit from the change of scenery and while he might bust and be a euro-leaguer, we could do with some more high end scoring options. I’ve never been terribly high on Pulju, personally, but it seems in a 1 for 1 it might make sense to give each player a fresh start. They’re both super young. I really would prefer for Lias to flourish in Hartford, come back and become a fixture at 3C for a long time.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If the organization feels that Lias is, at best, a bottom-six center, then I have no problem with them moving him now. Puljujarvi is not a player I'm a fan of, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to that swap.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I like Lias a lot but to be fair Jesse has a higher ceiling. He has way more offensive skill and a much better shot. However he has little to no defensive skill at the moment.

I would be more open to a Howden for Puljujaarvi move with us possibly adding a draft pick.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like Lias a lot but to be fair Jesse has a higher ceiling. He has way more offensive skill and a much better shot. However he has little to no defensive skill at the moment.

I would be more open to a Howden for Puljujaarvi move with us possibly adding a draft pick.

I think it's that weighing of options that can vary from person to person.

JP has has the higher skill set and more offensive tools. But, those skills haven't always manifest themselves in either the AHL or the NHL.

Andersson probably has a game that could translate to the NHL a little better, albeit in a more supportive, limited role. However, he too has struggled to translate that play to the NHL level.

So ultimately you have a situation where do you prefer a guy you think has a 30 percent shot to be a top six winger, but probably only a 10 percent shot to become a bottom six role. Or a guy who isn't seen as top six forward, but maybe has a 30 percent shot to be a third line center, and a 50 percent shot to be a fourth line center? (I'm just putting numbers in there for the sake of context, not to debate percentages.)

That's probably what the debate, on some level comes down. And where people put those odds and percentages can push their opinion in one direction over another.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm getting to a point myself where it's starting to be a bit more palatable of a scenario, but not there completely ye .

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why is it ok that Lias needs time but it's not ok that Puljujarvi needs time? They are five months apart. I guarantee if this thread was on the Oilers board the results would be exactly opposite and the comments near identical but for the other player.

Deleted member 23124

Sorry, I wouldn't trade McKegg for Pool....something about him just screams FAILURE if he's a Ranger.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Why is it ok that Lias needs time but it's not ok that Puljujarvi needs time? They are five months apart. I guarantee if this thread was on the Oilers board the results would be exactly opposite and the comments near identical but for the other player.
Imo it helps that Lias is here working on his NA game and not across the ocean avoiding doing so.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I would make the trade. I'd want maybe a small add from Edmonton but I don't see the two players as drastically different in their current progression. I've always been more supportive of Puljujarvi than most of HF it seems, but I also don't necessarily see him reaching the level people expected when he was drafted. I see potential for a good offensive player who can fit in well as a "third guy" on a line. Stick him with Zibanejad and Kakko and I think there's 25G/30A potential there. Not because he's a driver, but because he's skilled enough to benefit from playing with elite players.

I also think there's merit in having another Finnish player to grow with Kakko. Ruutu spending time with him really helped and while I know he will grow out of that, I think it's a nice "plus" in a trade.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

If it was Howden for Puljujarvi, Edmonton would be the ones adding a draft pick.

We as fans, may be a little down on Howden, but there's no way that he doesn't have much more value league-wide than Pulju right now.

I'm also hesitant about Lias for Pulju straight up, but I can somewhat see that one happening.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Do we really want two recent 1sts playing in Europe after bailing on the AHL? Maybe they'll come back, maybe they won't. It's a lot of risk with two of the first rounders from this rebuild effort tied up in situations like that.

Deleted member 23124

Sure yet at the exact same time we're told it's absolutely fine for Kravtsov to being just that...seems like a bit of a double standard.
You were expecting something different?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sure yet at the exact same time we're told it's absolutely fine for Kravtsov to being just that...seems like a bit of a double standard.

I think that's fair and I can't say you're wrong.

Having said that, I do also think we have to account for the two year age difference and the 200 some odd games that JP has already played of professional North American hockey.

It's a little easier to believe that Kravtsov could use more time before taking the next step than it is to believe that JP is going to find significant answers to the problems he's had converting what worked overseas.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers reached a bit with Lias. I think they looked at the intangibles and saw captain maybe Daniel Alfredsson material. That dropoff in that draft came one guy before him--so it was a reach but it wasn't a ridiculous one. Chytil was also a reach--a climber and that's working out pretty well all things considered.

Andersson should turn into a decent 3rd liner anyway. Would I trade him for Puljujarvi? No.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00