Speculation: Would you eat 50% to trade Couture and Burns?

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I'd keep Logan but take the C off of him and give it to EK. Erik seems to want that limelight more than Couture does and it would probably help Logan just play his game.
p sure EK65 is the only highly paid Shark who is a natural leader in the sense that he WANTS to be the guy

couture, hertl, burns take leadership responsiblities by default because they're used to being the best on the team but in their heart of hearts would be a little relieved if others had the letter instead if them

Vlasic thinks it's p disrespectful that they haven't given him the c when he's obviously the best player and has seniority but doesn't care enough to actually speak up... he will just speak up after he retires saying they probably would've been a 3-cup dynasty if they just made him captain like they should have

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
p sure EK65 is the only highly paid Shark who is a natural leader in the sense that he WANTS to be the guy

couture, hertl, burns take leadership responsiblities by default because they're used to being the best on the team but in their heart of hearts would be a little relieved if others had the letter instead if them

Vlasic thinks it's p disrespectful that they haven't given him the c when he's obviously the best player and has seniority but doesn't care enough to actually speak up... he will just speak up after he retires saying they probably would've been a 3-cup dynasty if they just made him captain like they should have
I’d rather give it to one of his dogs

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I know you're joking about the Vlasic thing but Vlasic has openly stated he's not interested in being a leader. I'm honestly surprised that nobody has really seen that for the red flag it is. His attitude of late is not so surprising when that's taken into account. If Vlasic is not interested in leadership and is playing poorly, what use is it keeping him around when we have a lot of guys that can fill his spot and grow between Kniazev, Knyzhov, Ferraro, Middleton, and Hatakka? I'm leaning more and more into the buy him out this offseason area.

Reactions: DG93

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I know you're joking about the Vlasic thing but Vlasic has openly stated he's not interested in being a leader. I'm honestly surprised that nobody has really seen that for the red flag it is. His attitude of late is not so surprising when that's taken into account. If Vlasic is not interested in leadership and is playing poorly, what use is it keeping him around when we have a lot of guys that can fill his spot and grow between Kniazev, Knyzhov, Ferraro, Middleton, and Hatakka? I'm leaning more and more into the buy him out this offseason area.
upload_2022-2-17_11-6-25.png

Its an ugly buyout though

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
you cant buy him out until at least 24-25 and thats fine, they arent going to do anything with the cap hit. You just need a coach willing to sit him

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
View attachment 508052
Its an ugly buyout though

The only options with Vlasic are buying him out or riding it out. I think I'd be fine with riding it out if we can find a deal to move Simek and he'd be okay with being the #7 instead of being a regular in the lineup. I'd much rather see if Middleton is a flash in the pan, if Knyzhov can bounce back from his injury, and if Merkley can get better than play Vlasic anymore. He just doesn't offer anything of worth. At least if Couture played like utter dog shit I don't think he'd then lose all of his leadership qualities. He'd still care about doing what's best for the team and take on what he can take on. I just don't get that impression from Vlasic. And that's just something I'd prefer to eat the buyout and get out of the room than hold onto it until it expires.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
The only options with Vlasic are buying him out or riding it out. I think I'd be fine with riding it out if we can find a deal to move Simek and he'd be okay with being the #7 instead of being a regular in the lineup. I'd much rather see if Middleton is a flash in the pan, if Knyzhov can bounce back from his injury, and if Merkley can get better than play Vlasic anymore. He just doesn't offer anything of worth. At least if Couture played like utter dog shit I don't think he'd then lose all of his leadership qualities. He'd still care about doing what's best for the team and take on what he can take on. I just don't get that impression from Vlasic. And that's just something I'd prefer to eat the buyout and get out of the room than hold onto it until it expires.
We are not going to be contenders through the remaining years of the Vlasic contract so we should just ride it out. Better to eat the cap space now than have the buyout penalty taking a slice of our cap space when we could be good.

We could have done the same thing with Jones. If he was sent to the Cuda this year, it wouldn’t have effected the Sharks and we wouldn’t have a 1.67 buyout penalty in 26-27.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We are not going to be contenders through the remaining years of the Vlasic contract so we should just ride it out. Better to eat the cap space now than have the buyout penalty taking a slice of our cap space when we could be good.

I'd rather eat the buy out, weaponize the cap savings by taking on short cap dumps, and get Vlasic out of the room while opening up the lineup spot to give young d-men experience over taking the chance that keeping Vlasic is toxic when he starts to get scratched more often.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I'm optimistic a team would still give a good package for Burns at 50% , Couture with us retaining 25%. Those are brutal dead caps to carry, but they will look a lost worse in a few years when both guys are only older..

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That he's paid twice as much as his play warrants.
Nah. When healthy he was playing like an 8-9 million dollar d-man. He can only do so much though, especially with the talent up front.

NOW, if you're making that statement while taking the injuries and games missed then I'd agree, but still he's closer to earning his value than Burns is. You can buy a Pylon for about 29.99 online and while you may not get the exact same offensive output, you'll be at least dead even in the defensive zone.

Reactions: Alwalys

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5