Would you draft Doughty if the Kings had the first pick in 2008?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He'd trade down to #2 to take him or say screw it and select Doughty #1 and have no regrets.

Imagine where this team would be without an elite defenseman like him.

KingKopitar11*

I think we'd still take Doty because we lacked defense big time more than anything.

But I'm not sure. Stamkos is an amazing player, so we might have got him instead because they're both great players.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
DL would have taken Stamkos, as with every other GM. But knowing what he knows now, I think he's fairly content with having the #2 pick.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Depends on the offers that came in for 1st overall. Tampa needed a guy like Stamkos and I'm not LA didn't but I don't think we needed him as bad as Tampa or other teams so maybe DL would have considered some offers for 1st overall.

So we either draft Doughty, draft Stamkos or receive a boatload of goodies. Either way we'd be well off (though I'm definately not saying we would have won a cup(s)).

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I know it's probably been beaten worse than a red headed step child, but would DL pick Doughty if he had the 1st pick? If there's been a thread about this, pls post it here. Thanks.

I'm only responding because you said pls. But I think Lombadi would have taken Stamkos. Lucky for us, Tampa got to him first.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Of course but I said so before the draft and have never looked back. Love Stamkos but we built our team around great goaltending and a talented deep D first system so it is DD without any doubts and he has proven this to be true and has even exceeded my lofty expectations.

His play in the WJC's was so far above and beyond anyone else in that tourney that we had to have him.

KingKopitar11*

If we got Stamkos, the Richards trade might have never happened. Lol that would be interesting to see what would have happened.

Nizar

Mar 4, 2013
If we got Stamkos, the Richards trade might have never happened. Lol that would be interesting to see what would have happened.

What if ... I think we should be happy that everything turned out the way it did.

also Kopitar> one-dimensional Stamkos.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Doughty or Stamkos either one would have been a great pick. Who knows maybe we already have 2 cups if we would have taken Stamkos. :sarcasm:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Not knowing what we know now, he likely would've drafted Stamkos. At worst he would've traded down a position if he felt that strongly about Doughty.

Knowing what we know now, DL likely keeps Drew. Defensemen have a much longer elite lifespan. In 8 years, Drew could be as good or even better than he is today. A forward? Unlikely Stamkos is potting 50+ goals a season at 32. A goal scorer's peak happens much sooner than a defenseman.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I can assure you he would've moved down to select Drew Doughty. How do I know this? Well, let's not forget how much Lombardi emphasized the need to improve the team from the net out and he was always seeking that one "franchise" defenseman that he was hoping he was going to get when he acquired Jack Johnson

Another bit of evidence that makes me certain he would've moved into a position to draft Doughty, what Lombardi did at the 1998 NHL Draft when he was with the Sharks. Lombardi had possession of the 2nd overall pick in that draft, where David Legwand was projected to go. He traded down a spot to select the defenseman he wanted, Brad Stuart.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/1998.htm

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
I think we'd still take Doty because we lacked defense big time more than anything.

But I'm not sure. Stamkos is an amazing player, so we might have got him instead because they're both great players.
I think you're right. Lombardi was clearly trying to build from the back out, and drafted a LOT of defensemen, including some that were clearly reaches, like Hickey at #4 and Teubert at # anything. It seems likely that where the Kings were at the point, he would have prioritized the best defenseman over the best forward.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Would also be interesting to see if the Kings even win a Cup.

I'm going to lean towards no. Imagine this team not having Doughty and still having Jack Johnson. The offense might be good with Stamkos but the defense would be average at best.

I do not want to recall the Kings prior to Doughty's arrival, they were so bad.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'm going to lean towards no. Imagine this team not having Doughty and still having Jack Johnson. The offense might be good with Stamkos but the defense would be average at best.

I do not want to recall the Kings prior to Doughty's arrival, they were so bad.

Yeah, I don't see it happening let alone three straight conference finals and 2/3 Stanley Cup final appearances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad