Would you do the Dougie Hamilton trade now?

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
As the title states, if you could go back in time, would you still make the trade, picks 15, 45, and 52 for Dougie Hamilton?

Taking into effect that players like Barzal & Connor were available at our first pick, and how his performance has been so far.

I'm wondering other people's opinions on this, and if it belongs in a different thread please do so moderators.

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
And if somebody could fix the Poll title that'd be great as I assume nobody wants to do Dougie Hamilton.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'm a huge Barzal fan but I'm still happy with the trade. It's just going to take some time for Hamilton to adjust and then we have a fantastic defense for years to come with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
As an outsider that trade still a no brainer to me. You didn't give up anyone from the roaster to get a top pairing D who's only 22 who you forget was 10th overall himself. You just gave up 2 second rounders

Big mobile right handed d are not many to go around at that age. I have seen him play against the Leafs the kid is good.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
40 point 22 year old 6'5 RHD, likely future top pairing D... for a mid first and two seconds in a strong draft, hmmmm

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He's not lived up to hopes. Of that there is no doubt.

But I'm willing to take a gamble that at absolute worst he turns into a Cody Franson. Upside is just too significant to pass up on.

We have less of a chance of drafting a D of his calibre at the 15th spot and even though we gave up 2 seconds I'm okay with it.

Aug 3, 2010
Seeing as how the only players I wanted Calgary to draft in the first were Kocecny and Svechnikov, and knowing now that Andersson and Kylington would be available at 55-60 range, I'd do this trade 9.5/10 times. The .5 is because I really have high hopes for Kocecny/Svechnikov.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think everyone except a few emotional teen boys do this trade all day (OMG SKY FALLING AFTER A DOZEN GAMES?!111!). There's growing pains, but the fact this kid has all the tools to be one of the best, tells me there's nothing to worry about. The fact Treliving was able to pull off some really good steals in the second round also gets the thumbs up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pretty easy yes.

A rough start doesn't change anything, or at least it shouldn't. Even if the Flames had taken Barzal, Connor or Svechnikov, the reality is, we'd be peddling them or the likes of Granlund/Poirier/Klimchuk/Janowski for a defensemen just like Hamilton anyway. Might as well cut out the middle step. Trading Wideman and Russell (maybe Hudler too) for picks and prospects should help restock the cupboards as well.

And besides, the Flames still found a way to draft the player I really wanted anyway in Kylington :D.

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
I agree with all this, the reason I made the poll was because a few Bruins fans were nagging me about it and thought I was joking when I said I'd still do it. Cheers for the answers guys, I'll be sure to show them this :handclap:

Aug 3, 2010
Also would like to point out, any prospect available at Calgary's position would have taken AT MINIMUM 2 or 3 seasons to reach the NHL, let alone provide meaningful production.

Hamilton is stumbling right now. Maybe he's a middle-pairing defenceman at best, maybe he rediscovers his form. But 40+ point defencemen under 25 playing regular minutes don't grow on trees.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Absolutely. Hamilton didn't just forget how to play hockey. He'll adjust and become a huge contributor.

I think he was in a weird situation in Boston. I get bad vibes from that locker room. I don't know what it is but it seems like there's a core group of guys there who try to be the big dogs. The guys who don't fit in are shipped out.

I thought Lucic was part of that but maybe he was traded for other reasons.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Even if Dougie never becomes a stud defensive player and turns into a 6'5 Dennis Wideman who can skate like the wind...... Yah enough said, count me in.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a GM who wouldn't trade away a mid first, a second and a third for DH, even after his bad start.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'd probably still do it. My love of prospects, and the fact that there were some tantalizing ones available at those spots, is the only thing that gives me pause; but I'm aware that this is kind of a bias, and probably not a rational assessment of the situation.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Yeah I would. His contract is perhaps something a little bit more questionable if he does become a Cody Franson but I don't believe that'll happen. And Brodie's contract is such a robbery that it all evens out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad