Would you deal a 3rd rounder for Julius Honka?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I'd give roslovic for him. Both disappointing for where they were drafted but we have a ton of bottom 6 players that can replace roslovic but we can use a rd even if he tops on as a 3rd pairing guy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd give roslovic for him. Both disappointing for where they were drafted but we have a ton of bottom 6 players that can replace roslovic but we can use a rd even if he tops on as a 3rd pairing guy.

Have you noticed how Roslovic has been playing this season? Just wondering.

Reactions: surixon

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Have you noticed how Roslovic has been playing this season? Just wondering.
I have like a bottom 6 player likely 4th liner who has no chance of ever playing on the top 6. Honka at least will be a 3rd pairing guy with 2nd pairing potential. Are you confusing roslovic with ehlers maybe

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have like a bottom 6 player likely 4th liner who has no chance of ever playing on the top 6. Honka at least will be a 3rd pairing guy with 2nd pairing potential. Are you confusing roslovic with ehlers maybe

No, I'm not confusing Roslovic with Ehlers. Are you maybe confusing last year with this year?

Seriously, Roslovic has been playing very well so far this year. He has earned a shot at 2C, IMO. But even if he isn't up to that and never will be, he is at least playing like an NHL player. Honka is a good gamble, for the right price, because he has shown potential in the past. But right now he looks like a bust. He is a reclamation project. As such he isn't worth any actual NHL player.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
No, I'm not confusing Roslovic with Ehlers. Are you maybe confusing last year with this year?

Seriously, Roslovic has been playing very well so far this year. He has earned a shot at 2C, IMO. But even if he isn't up to that and never will be, he is at least playing like an NHL player. Honka is a good gamble, for the right price, because he has shown potential in the past. But right now he looks like a bust. He is a reclamation project. As such he isn't worth any actual NHL player.

Moving Roslovic puts Letestu one closer to a permanent spot on the roster. That alone will end any such trade idea in my mind.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I don't know anything about him, but I'd do it on principle. A third is a 1 in 10 chance of getting a roster player in a few years, usually with limited upside. If he can play this year over Bitetto and has any upside, that's an easy trade to make IMO.

Reactions: jepjepjoo and GNP

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

2nd line centre man what a good one. scheifele little lowry copp will always be ahead of roslovic at centre. and by next year you can add gus to that list. honka can play and would be playing but refuses to sign in dallas. get your facts straight. he would be playing now if he hadn't asked for a trade. roslovic will never be more then a 4th line player at best on this team, honka can at least play 3rd pairing right now and would be our 2nd best rd. roslovic is around our 12th best forward and by next year gus will pass him on the depth charts also. we need dmen that can play not 4th liners that will top out at 25 points . wouldn't surprise me if dallas wanted more to even the trade out. this should be an easy trade for chevy considering how bad we are on defence.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd trade a 3rd rounder for Honka in a heartbeat --wouldn't give it a second thought.

Firstly and most importantly --3rd round picks don't usually make the NHL-so likely you are giving up "nothing" On the other hand --from reading about this Honka guy, he has showed some promise.

He's played well at times --so there's some upside there. Right now, since he's asked for a trade and not happy in Dallas --he won't be playing well, as no player performs well, if they don't like it where they are.

Give it a shot Chevy --nothing to lose --we need some Defensemen.

Reactions: Fire Chevy

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Absolutely not-with our current coach who cannot make sound deployment decisions, it would be a waste of a transaction. Until the coach is gone we shouldn’t throw away any more picks.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011

Honka is not a third pairing defenseman, that's the problem. He is more sort of a worse version of Pionk, with some supposed puck moving talent, but even lacks in that aspect. Heiskanen since his first NHL game took over Honka's "role" in Dallas and having Honka on third pairing makes little sense to me, this is probably what Dallas thought as well.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Rosie is already well above the statistic average for a 25th overall pick. He's hardly a disappointment. The statistical average being a complete bust. Since the year 2000..

2000 - Steve Ott - Middle 6 checking forward
2001 - Alexander Perezhogin - Bust
2002 - Cam Ward - Starter
2003 - Anthony Stewart - Bust
2004 - Rob Schremp - Bust
2005 - Andrew Cogliano - Middle 6 checking forward
2006 - Patrik Berglund - Bottom 6 checking forward
2007 - Patrick White - Bust
2008 - Greg Nemisz - Bust
2009 - Jordan Caron - Bust
2010 - Quinton Howden - Bust
2011 - Stuart Percy - Bust
2012 - Jordan Schmaltz - Bust
2013 - Mike McCarron - Verging on bust
2014 - David Pastrnak - Probably the best 25th pick going back to 1980.
2015 - Rosie - Trending as a middle 6 scoring forward
2016 - Riley Tufte - Could be a bottom 6 guy
2017 - Ryan Poehling - We'll see
2018 - Dominik Bokk - Struggling early in the SHL
2019 - Connor McMichael - Another we'll see

The truth is anyone drafted between 20-25 is more likely to bust then to do anything of note in the NHL. Roslovic is already well above the statistical average for a 25th overall pick

Reactions: Mathil8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad