Would you deal a 3rd rounder for Julius Honka?

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
TSN reports that Dallas are asking for a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Julius Honka the former 14th overall selection. Assuming they would take a 3rd rounder, would you part with one and sign him to acquire a RHD with potential? I admit to not seeing his game and imagine he is more of an offensive defenseman being 5'11" 180lbs. Could he actually be worse than Bitetto?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
maybe

how's similar is he to Niku? b/c Niku is getting sat for Bitetto, doubt it'll be different

Reactions: hn777

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
maybe

how's similar is he to Niku? b/c Niku is getting sat for Bitetto, doubt it'll be different

That is what I thought. I would love to know what Bitetto is doing better than Niku in the opinion of Maurice. I read that Hockey's Future rated him an 8/10 and stated:

Talent Analysis

Honka is a slick, puck-moving defenseman. With a hard, accurate right-handed shot he is a threat from the point and is masterful on the power play unit. Honka can dominate in offensive situations, but also understands positional play. He handles physical play despite his lack of bulk and stature.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Does he kill penalties well, because that is the hole you want to fill? I would be trying to pry Ryan Murray out of Columbus because he could stabilize the defense.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Does he kill penalties well, because that is the hole you want to fill? I would be trying to pry Ryan Murray out of Columbus because he could stabilize the defense.

Cost/benefit. Honka costs less, Murray would cost a roster player at bare minimum.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Cost/benefit. Honka costs less, Murray would cost a roster player at bare minimum.

For the Jets though, if you want to replace Bitetto or Dahlstrom, who are in reality Buff's replacement, you want that player not only to be effective possession wise, but fundamental to special teams. We have more than enough PP players, but a shortage of PKers, having lost 2/3 of them. Pionk has stepped up. Poolman too. I just don't know if the benefit is there on Honka, we have 4 quality d-men who can play the right side, if you count Kulikov. It's the replacement level for Morrissey I am looking at, because down the depth chart are Dahlstrom, Bitetto and Stanley. And the Jets still have to decide if they want Heinola here all year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
For the Jets though, if you want to replace Bitetto or Dahlstrom, who are in reality Buff's replacement, you want that player not only to be effective possession wise, but fundamental to special teams. We have more than enough PP players, but a shortage of PKers, having lost 2/3 of them. Pionk has stepped up. Poolman too. I just don't know if the benefit is there on Honka, we have 4 quality d-men who can play the right side, if you count Kulikov. It's the replacement level for Morrissey I am looking at, because down the depth chart are Dahlstrom, Bitetto and Stanley. And the Jets still have to decide if they want Heinola here all year.

The cost is low enough that the potential benefit is worth it to me. I understand that Murray is a far better player and would have far more of an impact, but I don't know if the cost would be worth the benefit.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Admittedly I haven't watched him play much at all, but what are the red flags with him (if any?) - because going through his stats quickly I can't find much. He seems to have been consistently one of their best D-men for %CF and %xGF with a sample size that amounts to about 1 full season worth of games (but with quite low TOI)

But why did he never break in Dallas? What am I missing? Why is no one interested?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I do not want to trade any of our 2020 draft picks..... as I think it is going to be a deep draft (2015 like)....

Get the young D some experience this year and sign Hamonic as a UF A next summer.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Why on earth would you not? A 3rd rounder on a statistical average has a low chance of even playing the amount of games Honka already has. Not to mention it's his first NHL club, so many things can happen when you switch clubs especially if you're an unhappy rookie who's lost his motivation due to coaches like Hitchcock

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Of course, third round picks aren't valuable. But it's not like he'd get to play so in that regard it's a moot point, but the value would definitely be there to do it.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
That is what I thought. I would love to know what Bitetto is doing better than Niku in the opinion of Maurice. I read that Hockey's Future rated him an 8/10 and stated:

Talent Analysis

Honka is a slick, puck-moving defenseman. With a hard, accurate right-handed shot he is a threat from the point and is masterful on the power play unit. Honka can dominate in offensive situations, but also understands positional play. He handles physical play despite his lack of bulk and stature.
Sounds a lot like Pionk.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
No.
We need to keep our picks and keep adding to our system.
Deal someone in our system already if we feel he can step in and play.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
TSN reports that Dallas are asking for a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Julius Honka the former 14th overall selection. Assuming they would take a 3rd rounder, would you part with one and sign him to acquire a RHD with potential? I admit to not seeing his game and imagine he is more of an offensive defenseman being 5'11" 180lbs. Could he actually be worse than Bitetto?

Yes

Conditional 3rd which is based on Honka's production. But it could turn into something as low as a 5th, I'd do that.

I can't see Dallas accepting that. When you are only risking a 3rd, I don't think you get to waffle and put performance conditions in. JMO

Risk a 3rd. Waive Potato. Maybe he can help our PP. Worst thing that can happen is he is even worse than the weak D we have and we have lost a 3rd. A 3rd has what, about a 1 in 6 chance of producing an NHL player in 5 years time?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Wasn't he just on waivers?

How does one get placed on waivers when not under contract? He's an RFA playing in Finland at the moment.

What you're referring to is the TSN report from Dreger 4 days ago. Now that he's played a game in Finland he no longer has the freedom to sign with any team as an RFA.

His only option at this point is to sign with Dallas, who may then trade him. For him to play NHL hockey this season he'll need to sign by December 1st.

For the time being both he and fellow Finnish RFA Jesse Puljujärvi are playing in the Liiga with JYP.

https://www.tsn.ca/dallas-stars-rfa-julius-honka-signs-in-finland-with-opt-out-1.1379139

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad