Would you be willing to give up Sam Reinhart in a trade for Steven Stamkos?

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Welp, Elliotte Friedman reported that Buffalo was at least in talks with Tampa around draft time about a possible Stamkos deal. Also, Mark Spector reported that the Flames might be willing to give up Sam Bennett to acquire him. So comparably, would you give up Sam Reinhart in a deal to acquire soon to be UFA Stamkos? Obviously this is all hypothetical, but I remember the Zadorov for O'Reilly poll last season and we all now how that ended, so anything's possible.

I'm personally on the fence. Sam brings that amazing passing ability and he's started to show flashes of brilliance, but on the other hand...Steven Stamkos, man. You'd be giving up a potentially great pass-first, setup guy and adding to an arsenal that already includes 2 deadly young shooters in Kane and Eichel.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Need an option that's "Depends on what else is involved".

Like if it is Reinhart for Stamkos straight up? Yes. If it is Reinhart, Girgs, Risto, and 2 1st rounders? No.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If we're allowed to talk to his agent first and have a sense that he can be re-signed.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
If we're allowed to talk to his agent first and have a sense that he can be re-signed.

This. Losing Reinhart for one year of Stamkos would be a disaster. If you had a good idea of what he was looking for as far as term and dollars per year and believe you could get a deal done, then absolutely.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If Stamkos is signed long-term and it's some sort of impossible one for one trade, it's not even a discussion. Of course.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
On face value... of course.

But... a new Stamkos extension will pretty much put us up against the cap even before we give extensions to Eichel, Risto, Girgs, McCabe, Pysyk ect ect and perhaps Kane

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Obviously yes if Murray has the long term deal in place (in principle at least) when he makes the deal.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
If there's a deal in place to keep him here and there aren't any other big key pieces (Risto, Girgs, Eichel, etc) going back then sure.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The financials of Stamkos don't work.

Doesn't matter anyway, Stamkos will play out his season in TB and sign with the Leafs for the league max Jul 1.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I would say no for cap purposes.

Sam will never be good enough where he is potentially worth $10M per year and I'm okay with that.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Had Stamkos not broken his leg and still displayed the all-around promise he did in 2013, yes. But right now he's a pure offensive forward and those don't matter past a threshold that Eichel will likely get us across by himself. If we're trading Reinhart for stuff, I'd like to be more certain that it's the exact stuff we need, not for a short-term boost in overall talent level.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
For a rental? Come on, even a Reinhart hater isn't that stupid

Even if we had a deal in place beforehand, wouldn't it put us in a precarious spot cap-wise, and pretty much close the door on a lot of options to address any blue line issues?

$10 million for a #1 C when we already have a #1 C doesn't sit well with me. We have a lot of expiring contracts coming up over the next 3 years. Of course every team could use a Stamkos but we'd be losing once of our main benefits of rebuilding the way we did - cheap contracts.

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
I would trade Reinhart for Ekblad.......:)

Samson is going to be a fairly decent player in this league. No chance I would trade him for one year of Stamkos ( I have a feeling he wants to be a Leaf).

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Even if we had a deal in place beforehand, wouldn't it put us in a precarious spot cap-wise, and pretty much close the door on a lot of options to address any blue line issues?

$10 million for a #1 C when we already have a #1 C doesn't sit well with me. We have a lot of expiring contracts coming up over the next 3 years. Of course every team could use a Stamkos but we'd be losing once of our main benefits of rebuilding the way we did - cheap contracts.

I agree. But I think it's at least debatable (with an extension).

Without an extension, which is the only logical hypothetical right now... It's crazy stupid

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
No for me. I wouldn't give Stamkos the term he is likely to want. I think whoever signs that mega deal will regret the last 3-5 years of it where he's an old man with an 8 million dollar cap hit.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Without an extension, which is the only logical hypothetical right now... It's crazy stupid

I disagree with this part

Just like Tampa would hang up the phone if Buffalo was only offering Ennis, Foligno, Weber types; Buffalo hangs up the phone if they can't get reasonable assurances from Stamkos agent that he's willing to sign long term in Buffalo and that his contract demands are something Buffalo is willing to match. There is no discussion if assurances aren't already in place, so there's no point in discussing it from a position that an extension isn't almost a guarantee. There is no trade acceptable by both teams for a rental Stamkos, all logical hypotheticals starting from that premise end in no deal being done so there's no point in discussing it from that point.

The other thing is that Evander Kane or ROR would almost have to be an auto-include from Buffalo's perspective. Any other scenario and you're talking about 30-40 million in cap hit tied up in 4 players without any of them being a defenseman. 1 of those contracts would have to go, probably E. Kane, to fit Stamkos in from a roster building perspective.

No for me. I wouldn't give Stamkos the term he is likely to want. I think whoever signs that mega deal will regret the last 3-5 years of it where he's an old man with an 8 million dollar cap hit.

HAHAHAH, try 10+, the discussion is starting at Pat Kane money.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

He's literally one year older than Ryan O'Reilly, who makes 7.5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad