Would you be interested in trying to sign BSD as a backup to Markstrom?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He's a UFA this summer. We need a backup. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't. Might be able to get him cheap. He loves Calgary.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yes but depending on how cheap. The Flames have many things to fix and probably can only afford about 1-1.5M for a backup. I doubt Big Save Dave would go for that but they can do much worse than him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
With a significant pay cut, sure.

I doubt the feeling is mutual. I suspect he might get a better offer in Europe.

He needs one more mediocre season to find his way back to Europe.
He'll find a backup gig somewhere in the NHL.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I am not opposed to resigning Ritter. He is capable of being very good and is capable of playing a lot of games should Markstrom go down. Is he the best available for the role? To be determined.

Also, how large of a budget will the Flames have for a backup?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
He said he wants more playing time so the only way he returns is if there's literally nothing else out there. And even then it'd be a mistake given how much Sutter rides his number one goalie.

I know consensus opinion is that if the Flames spend more on a backup then Sutter will be forced to play them more but in reality, it makes no difference. Sutter's gonna play Markstrom in 80 or 90 percent of the games regardless. So it's actually best just to spend as little as possible. In other words, just promote Zagidulin or sign someone like Dell or Dubnyk for 1M.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
He said he wants more playing time so the only way he returns is if there's literally nothing else out there. And even then it'd be a mistake given how much Sutter rides his number one goalie.

I know consensus opinion is that if the Flames spend more on a backup then Sutter will be forced to play them more but in reality, it makes no difference. Sutter's gonna play Markstrom in 80 or 90 percent of the games regardless. So it's actually best just to spend as little as possible. In other words, just promote Zagidulin or sign someone like Dell or Dubnyk for 1M.
I think you know my answer.

Zagidulin!!.gif

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I personally want to go for a more expensive option (Mrazek or Raanta) to help share the load with Markstrom that gets injured when not properly rested but if we want a cheap option to let us add to the depth in front of the net I'd love Rittich back. He can't start more than 2 or 3 games in a row but he is loved in the locker room and I feel like he gives every game 100% that he has but he just has off nights.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I wouldn't be. More than anything you want your backup to provide consistent goaltending so you know what you're getting. Doesn't have to be spectacular but get in every 4 or 5 games and give the team ~.910. Rittich was yet another Flames G that wildly fluctuated in his performances.

If he really wants to be a starter he's going to have to find a new level of consistency. Might have a shot at being a 1B for a couple teams but even that is a bit of a stretch considering the poor year he just had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad