Player Discussion Would you be comfortable with a Elias Pettersson trade? (Poll)

Would you be fine with a Elias Pettersson trade?

• Yes, For a Clear Overpayment

• Yes, If the pieces are right

• Not Sure Honestly

• No Interest in trading Ep40

• Other - Type Below

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I mean, he is a damn good player, but if it’s for
A clear overpayment… he is just an asset, getting a return that has a higher value should be a no brainer. I don’t know what that would be, and it clearly went up as the year went on, but if it’s an overpayment it must be a haul of epic proportions.

Last edited:
Reactions: theguardianII

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I mean, he is a damn good player, but if it’s for
A clear overpayment… he is just an asset, getting a return that has a higher value should be a no brainer. I don’t know what that would be, and it clearly went up as the head went on, but if it’s an overpayment it must be a haul of epic proportions.

There is no such scenario in which we get an overpayment for Pettersson. It's been mentioned before but it's a cop out selection - any one and everyone trades a player for overpayment so that selection says nothing about how that person sees Pettersson's fit with the team moving forward.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
There is no such scenario in which we get an overpayment for Pettersson. It's been mentioned before but it's a cop out selection - any one and everyone trades a player for overpayment so that selection says nothing about how that person sees Pettersson's fit with the team moving forward.

I would disagree. Saying you wouldn't trade him unless there is an overpayment tells you exactly what someone thinks of the player and how they fit on the team moving forward. Seems to me that if someone were to select that option they see him as an important core player at the moment. Otherwise why would they need an overpayment to move him?

"Not sure honestly" is the cop out selection if you were to apply that term to any of the selections. All that means is you want to see what the return is so that places one in the "for the right pieces" or "overpayment" category. However even "not sure honestly" is certainly valid if you are considering what other roster moves could also be made and having that play into the decision. That isn't typically what is in mind when the question is posed or when it is answered in such polls and it would seemingly make any poll answer simply default to "not sure".

In the end, any player can be moved. There is a price for every single player in the league. For some it's an overpayment because they are integral to the future of the team. They are a core piece you think to build around. For others it is as long as it's a fair deal that addresses pressing need (be it positional need or cap need). Then you have the "hopefully they can get something for them" category followed by the "please just get them off the team" category.

Under Benning there was also a 5th option. That of course is the "ran out of time" category.

Last edited:

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Nope, no , no way. Very well could be the best Canuck of all time when all is said and done. Different circumstances but Sedins werent this level at this stage of their careers. Just Bure. Keep him happy!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Our biggest problem was simply not having Petey signed for full 8 year term on the last deal. Now we're stuck kinda waving in the wind up July 1st when we figure out if an extension is even going to happen.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I don’t think people realize how hard it is to get a player like him. We can tear everything down around him and still tank.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I like any trade where we win. Right now EP is worth 4th 1sts, a top player with salary retention and 3 prospects. And I want more than that.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I like any trade where we win. Right now EP is worth 4th 1sts, a top player with salary retention and 3 prospects. And I want more than that.
I guess we got a backup Elias Pettersson anyways so...

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I guess we got a backup Elias Pettersson anyways so...
So you are one of those who wouldn't trade Pettersson for a clear overpayment? You wouldn't trade Pettersson for Bedard for instance?

Could you explain your reasoning (or non-reasoning) to us simpletons?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So you are one of those who wouldn't trade Pettersson for a clear overpayment? You wouldn't trade Pettersson for Bedard for instance?

Could you explain your reasoning (or non-reasoning) to us simpletons?
Nahhh Id be down with a clear overpayment CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad