Would you accept being soft for being good?

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Flyers is probably the organisation, together with the Bruins, that is most associated with a specific way of playing hockey and that is very physical.

If management ditched the identity and made you in to a soft team, but that somehow guaranteed you to be a regular playoff team for 5 years to come (or something). Would you accept that as a fan?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Flyers is probably the organisation, together with the Bruins, that is most associated with a specific way of playing hockey and that is very physical.

If management ditched the identity and made you in to a soft team, but that somehow guaranteed you to be a regular playoff team for 5 years to come (or something). Would you accept that as a fan?

They're already soft. Losing is soft.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It needs to be said that there is an essential reason why '70s hockey has largely gone the way of the dodo. We know the devastating and lifelong effects of head trauma. So it isn't just "may as well watch figure skating"; these are people's lives. I was a big fan of a player (on another team) getting blown up in a "legal" hit and had a couple of Rock 'em Sock 'em Hockey tapes in prehistoric times. Those hits now turn my stomach.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, because soft teams rarely win in the playoffs.

Now I don't mean hard in the sense of "broad street bullies," but look at TB, aggressive, physical forecheck, big physical defense, along with some top skill people. Look at Colorado last year, Makar is the top offensive D-man in the league, but he plays defense, and isn't afraid to step in front of a power forward. McKinnon plays a two way game, Bergeron, Toews on those Chicago teams, Kopitar on LA.

The teams that generally win combine skill, grit and some physical play, and play disciplined defense, they don't just try to outscore opponents.

Reactions: wasup

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
How is this even a question? Being good is the only thing that matters.

“Toughness” is without question the most overrated attribute in hockey. Especially since most “fans” define it in the dumbest possible way.

Nobody wins anything because they’re tough. Some good teams just happen to have good players who are also tough as a side trait.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I'll go out on a limb and say responses to this OP will be 100% predictable. They already are.

xT9KVtQBk8cGFcZH4A.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It needs to be said that there is an essential reason why '70s hockey has largely gone the way of the dodo. We know the devastating and lifelong effects of head trauma. So it isn't just "may as well watch figure skating"; these are people's lives. I was a big fan of a player (on another team) getting blown up in a "legal" hit and had a couple of Rock 'em Sock 'em Hockey tapes in prehistoric times. Those hits now turn my stomach.

1000% with you on this, Bern.

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
The fact this is even a question speaks to the issue. I don’t care how they need to win, so long as they do. The flyers are rooted in this mindset that the way the won it all in the seventies is the only way to win—and that is the root of all our collective suffering.

From an owner perspective, I can see some benefit to it though, but it's minor.

For us who don't come from an NHL team area (europeans and maybe others), the team you support tend to either be due to a player that you like or the style of play. So a team that has a playing style identity is easier to associated with. That could create some revenue. But then again, if you don't win games you won't get any supporters.

Also, the revenue us euros create is probably very limited compared to that of having home town support.

Nizzle

no hope, no future, no second chance
May 13, 2009
I once had a 91 overall enforcer defenceman on NHL 21. That would be optimal but also unrealistic.

Being ”tough” hasn’t won them anything in the past 45 years so there’s your answer.

Reactions: Amorgus

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Oh absolutely not, I’d be so embarrassed if this team finally made the playoffs, let alone advanced a round or two, god forbid win a Cup with some weak ass players. That sounds terrible, living nightmare and the shame that would take me over if I found myself cheering for someone who is even a tiny bit soft… wow that’d be bad. I’m not cheering for good display or results, I’m just here for the tooth knocked out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad