Would This Make A Good New NHL Award Most Improved Player?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
This Idea came to me when I seen the leap that both Mackinnon and Couturier made this season , how about a Most improved player trophy , PGA tour has one , also I think there should be the Gretzky Trophy for most assists every season . Your thoughts ?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yes and it should be awarded to the worst player in the league like it is in minor hockey.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
No to new trophies.

Revamp membership in the PHWA, as in, cut out team mouthpieces, local catch-all sports (the guy who does sports in NC for the AP is in the PHWA, and he couldn't care less about the Hurricanes) and guys whose only qualification is their cleared check for membership dues.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
there are too many trophies as is

there should be the Hart, the Ross, the Rocket, the Norris, the Vezina, the Calder, the Smythe, and the Bing because it's old and classy even though nobody cares about it

all others should be tossed onto the scrap heap of history with the Bud Light Plus/Minus Award and the Mark Messier Shameless Self-Promotion Award

Reactions: McDLT

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Most improved is way too subjective. Like if a superstar has a down year and then rebounds is he the most improved? If a previous scrub has a breakout year is he most improved? Is a sophomore who makes the inevitable jump after his rookie year the most improved? Doesn't make as much sense for hockey vs. NFL where careers are longer and more variable in the former.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
There's more than enough awards already imo. I didn't even want the Richard trophy to happen.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This Idea came to me when I seen the leap that both Mackinnon and Couturier made this season , how about a Most improved player trophy , PGA tour has one , also I think there should be the Gretzky Trophy for most assists every season . Your thoughts ?

I don't see anything wrong with either of them.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
First get rid of the Selke, Ted Lindsay, Jennings, Messier, 1 of Lady Byng/Masterton. If they add any more trophies they will need to hire Oprah to give them out.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gretzky award for most assists is a BAD idea.

If they create a most assists awards it becomes the what....6th most important award of the year max?

Hart
Smythe
Ross
Rocket
Lindsay

Are all more important. When has Gretzky ever been anything but the absolute best at #1?

Give him an award worthy of his name (hart/ross/smythe) - or don't do it all. I'd hate to have an assist award name for Gretzky

Reactions: McDLT

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
On the surface, it's not a bad idea.

But really, as has been said .. There are too many trophies already. This award doesn't really scream important enough to add to it

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
If anything, there should be more awards for defensemen. Basically an Art Ross for defensemen and then make the Norris the MVP defenseman. Maybe a best defensive defenseman? Or something.

Or nothing, because there are already way too many awards.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
They need to create an award for the most disappointing team in the league. It will be done by lottery with the worst team having the best chance at winning it. The Oilers will win it every year anyways regardless of position.

#lotterygods

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I like the idea of most improved but it needs a bit of tweaking or clarification.

Does Eric Staal count? He sucked for years and is good again. Is this improvement or a comeback and do comebacks also count?

MacKinnon is better than Karlsson and Bailey. But the other 2 arguably improved more. Do we reward MacKinnon for being the best with a big improvement or reward Karlsson or Bailey because the improvement itself is the largest.

Do we further subjectively decide that MacKinnon is a young player actually "improving" while someone like Bailey is only having a fluke/anomaly of a good season and hasn't actually "improved" as much and so reward someone like Mack instead?

I'd love to see such an award (or 2) but it would need to be very strictly defined for it to make sense imo.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
PGA tour has one

This isn't true. You're probably thinking of the Comeback Player of the Year award that was discontinued in 2012 mainly because unclear specifications lead to the same player winning the award two years in a row (the golfing equivalent of Ovechkin being voted onto the 1st and 2nd All Star Teams at two different positions).

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The Chia trophy.

An award for the player who plays the best after being traded for a terrible return.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014

I've been an advocate of the Gretzky assist award for a while now. For such a great player, a better award in his name seems more appropriate, but if you really break it down, assists are where he is undoubtedly, unquestionably king forever. In an alternate universe, a guy like Ovechkin or Lemieux might have been able to hit 92 goals, or Lemieux might have reached 215 points, but ain't no one ever touching 163 assists - that is one of the most ridiculous records in NHL history. Think about it, a player has to average 2 assists per game over a season. Not going to happen ever again. Even Gretzky himself never really came close to this mark before or after doing it the one time.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Can you put your actual idea for the trophy in your subject line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad