Would the Wings have been better than last year if

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He still won games and had a good year, all things considered. That isn't dead weight, end of story.

I don't actually think he was dead weight or even that he was terrible or anything(although I wouldn't go so far as saying he had a good year) but doesn't using the fact that he still won games as the main part of your argument if anything support the theory that he was dead weight?

he won games because the team scored like 6 goals a game when he was in net,you could easily make the argument that the team won so many games with him in net almost in spite of him rather than because of him

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't actually think he was dead weight or even that he was terrible or anything(although I wouldn't go so far as saying he had a good year) but doesn't using the fact that he still won games as the main part of your argument if anything support the theory that he was dead weight?

he won games because the team scored like 6 goals a game when he was in net,you could easily make the argument that the team won so many games with him in net almost in spite of him rather than because of him

I don't think that is necessarily an argument for or against. I didn't trust him to take on more games and tougher teams, but as a backup I think he did as well as we could have expected. I don't think he dragged the team down in any respect.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes

He's not as good as his W-L record but his SV% puts him in the company of other backups. I'd prefer Mrazek going forward but it's not a travesty to have him playing a full season in the AHL.

Johnz96*

OP needs to remember that lower age and more cap space dont necessarily make you a contender. See: Buf/Edm

Add top vets like Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall to those teams and they would probably be even better than the Wings.

Johnz96*

How many "what-ifs" are you going to fill this thread with?

That's what this is about. What if the RedWings' GM and coach weren't idiots. We could still be a Cup contender.
And that wasn't really a 'what if' response. More of a sarcastic response because the Wings have enough veteran leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
That's what this is about. What if the RedWings' GM and coach weren't idiots. We could still be a Cup contender.
And that wasn't really a 'what if' response. More of a sarcastic response because the Wings have enough veteran leadership.

Seems like a lotta woe is me.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He can and has made mistakes. The Cleary signing is indefensible. However, signing a bottom 6 forward for 2.5M is not some terrible crime. If some of this board had its way last year... the Wings would have David Clarkson on the books for 5M for the next five or six years instead of Toronto.

Ken Holland, overall, has made more positive moves than mistakes for the Red Wings his entire career.

It's not the money. It's the spot. As of now the most likely thing to happen, judging from who is waiver eligible and our past experiences, is that Jurco is sent down until Cleary is injured or is *so terrible* that he must be waived.

It's the same situation as last year. It's not the money. We have tons of cap room, no one cares about the money. We care about the roster spot that was earned and now in all likelihood is taken away.

I do not judge Ken Holland for his entire career. I judge him by his last 5 years. Those past 5 years, other than drafting, have not looked that great. Ken Holland cannot keep escaping the fact that he's been terrible lately by pointing to stuff that happened 10 years ago.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't think that is necessarily an argument for or against. I didn't trust him to take on more games and tougher teams, but as a backup I think he did as well as we could have expected. I don't think he dragged the team down in any respect.

He's not as good as his W-L record but his SV% puts him in the company of other backups. I'd prefer Mrazek going forward but it's not a travesty to have him playing a full season in the AHL.

yeah I can agree with that,he's fine as a backup really(although the fact that he seems to have a really tough time staying healthy makes me wish we'd have gone after someone else) and I do think Mrazek could use another year in the AHL

it just bothers me a little bit when people talk up his season because of his win record,he had a decent season for a backup but he really wasn't anything special either

Johnz96*

It is.

We aren't going to necessarily be good if you fill our roster with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall and nothing else but prospects.

Well there's also Nyquist, Franzen, Tatar, Abdelkader, Helm, Miller, Weiss, Andersson on forward and Sheahan and Jurco are more than just prospects now and Ericsson, Dekeyser, Smith and Kindl on D.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
That is not true and Holland admitted it. You aren't doing what's best for the team when you pick the garbage player over the younger and better player.

"Gustav Nyquist makes our team better."

Welcome back Dan Cleary.

Nyquist goes to GR.

Jurco will be up full time.

Welcome back Dan Cleary.

Jurco ends up going to GR.

Going with the trend, Cleary will get hurt, Jurco comes up and has a hot streak and lands the team as we make the playoffs.

Then a first round exit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad