Would the Wings have been better than last year if

Johnz96*

hey simply shed the dead weight ((Cleary, Quincey, Gustavsson, Bertuzzi (wouldn't be surprised to see that he's next), Alfredsson, Samuelsson, Legwand, Eaves) without making any other moves?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
alfredsson and legwand aren't dead weight.

keeping future in mind, maybe they would've been better off not doing anything.

this year depends on alfie. if he's back, slightly better, if not.. then about the same. maybe even worse, depending how the roster shapes out.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Yeah, um, Alfredsson scored 49 points next year. Just because he's old doesn't mean he's "dead weight" and there's absolutely no guarantee that anyone else we would have brought in in his stead would have scored more points.

Johnz96*

Yeah, um, Alfredsson scored 49 points next year. Just because he's old doesn't mean he's "dead weight" and there's absolutely no guarantee that anyone else we would have brought in in his stead would have scored more points.

Had Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco or Pulkinnen been afforded the same opportunities they would have done jusr as well or better last year and they will only be even better next year while Alfredsson is at an age where he is regressing.
No to mention he absorbs much more cap than they do.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Had Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco or Pulkinnen been afforded the same opportunities they would have done jusr as well or better last year and they will only be even better next year.

You don't know if it's true that Pulks or Jurco would have been better.

And quick question: where would we have been without Gustavsson last year? Again, you don't have a guarantee Mrazek would have been better.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Had Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco or Pulkinnen been afforded the same opportunities they would have done jusr as well or better last year and they will only be even better next year.

Maybe they would have, maybe not.

Doesn't make Alfredsson dead weight.

I don't see why this is even a question. Would they have been better off if they got rid of their worst players who didn't contribute anything to the team (other than Legwand who did contribute but wasn't really used in a scenario we expected)? Obviously.

I don't see how Gustavsson was dead weight last year, either. He had a good season backing up an inconsistent Howard.

Johnz96*

You don't know if it's true that Pulks or Jurco would have been better.

And quick question: where would we have been without Gustavsson last year? Again, you don't have a guarantee Mrazek would have been better.

I think McCollum would have been better.
Mrazek was better in th4 games that he got to appear in.
Just like Nyquist Jurco and Sheahan were better than the vets they replaced. I called that too.

Johnz96*

Maybe they would have, maybe not.

Doesn't make Alfredsson dead weight.

I don't see why this is even a question. Would they have been better off if they got rid of their worst players who didn't contribute anything to the team (other than Legwand who did contribute but wasn't really used in a scenario we expected)? Obviously.

I don't see how Gustavsson was dead weight last year, either. He had a good season backing up an inconsistent Howard.

Gus had a career year last year in SA and GAA and only matched Howard who had a career worst year.
Nobody would have signed Gus for as much 2 yrs ago or this year.

Shedding the team of some of it's dead weight (Cleary, Quincey, Gustavsson, Bertuzzi (wouldn't be surprised to see that he's next), Alfredsson, Samuelsson, Legwand, Eaves) on it's own without any other moves would have made the Wings a much better team this year than it was last year and would have left tons of cap space to be able to make moves.
Holland is a moron.

Alfredsson is dead weight all he would do is hold back better players (like Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco and Pulkinnen) from being able to make as much of a contribution as they would otherwiseand Pejorative Sluring their development.
The Wings have plenty of skill up front. They need some toughness and some toughness that can play with the skill players.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Alfredsson is dead weight all he would do is hold back better players (like Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco and Pulkinnen) from being able to make as much of a contribution as they would otherwiseand Pejorative Sluring their development.
The Wings have plenty of skill up front. They need some toughness and some toughness that can play with the skill players.

The only criteria by which one would consider Alfredsson dead weight is by the fact that he isn't 27 or younger.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Just like Nyquist Jurco and Sheahan were better than the vets they replaced. I called that too.

Oh please. McCollum isn't better than anybody.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Gus had a career year last year in SA and GAA and only matched Howard who had a career worst year.
Nobody would have signed Gus for as much 2 yrs ago or this year.
He still won games and had a good year, all things considered. That isn't dead weight, end of story.

Shedding the team of some of it's dead weight (Cleary, Quincey, Gustavsson, Bertuzzi (wouldn't be surprised to see that he's next), Alfredsson, Samuelsson, Legwand, Eaves) on it's own without any other moves would have made the Wings a much better team this year than it was last year and would have left tons of cap space to be able to make moves.
Holland is a moron.
Excluding Alfredsson, Legwand, and Gustavsson, it's a pretty obvious answer that doesn't really need to be asked.

Alfredsson was as much of dead weight last year as Zetterberg and Datsyuk were. He contributed and made the team better.

Johnz96*

The only criteria by which one would consider Alfredsson dead weight is by the fact that he isn't 27 or younger.

His presence prevents better players from being able to make as much of an impact because he will cut into their time especially with top linemates and at the same time Pejorative Sluring their development because they aren't getting as much opportunity as much time especially with top linemates while also making their value in a trade lower because they aren't getting as much time especially with top line players and his cap space is an unnecessary hit for something the Wings have plenty of which is skill up front.
They need some some toughness that can play with the skill.
If they can't get that go with the kids.

Johnz96*

He still won games and had a good year, all things considered. That isn't dead weight, end of story.

Excluding Alfredsson, Legwand, and Gustavsson, it's a pretty obvious answer that doesn't really need to be asked.

Alfredsson was as much of dead weight last year as Zetterberg and Datsyuk were. He contributed and made the team better.

It is if we could have someone better there instead, amd Mrazek has shown every indication that he is.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Z-D-Alfie
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening/Abby

Kronwall-Smith
E-Marchenko
DD-Ouellet

Howard
Mrazek

is better than

Z-D-Alfie
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Probably Cleary.
Miller-Helm-Glendening-Abby

Kronwall-E
Quincey-Smith
DD-Kindl/Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson

So my vote is yes.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
His presence prevents better players from being able to make as much of an impact because he will cut into their time especially with top linemates and at the same time Pejorative Sluring their development because they aren't getting as much opportunity as much time especially with top linemates while also making their value in a trade lower because they aren't getting as much time especially with top line players and his cap space is an unnecessary hit for something the Wings have plenty of which is skill up front.

When all is said and done, you suspect that Jurco and Pulkinnen are better players and you don't know that because the fact is that Alfredsson scored more than any of our forwards last year including Zetterberg and Datsyuk and Franzen.

Johnz96*

I'll concede that it is at least arguable in the case of Alfie but the rest the question is pretty much rhetorical and that moron goes and resigns Cleary and Quincey.

I'll bet anyone that once again Mrazek will have a better GAA and SP% than Gus in his appearances with the Wings.
Not only dead weight but worse an anchort preventing better more affordable players from making and impact and Pejorative Sluring their progress.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'll concede that it is at least arguable in the case of Alfie but the rest the question is pretty much rhetorical and that moron goes and resigns Cleary and Quincey.

I'll bet anyone that once again Mrazek will have a better GAA and SP% than Gus in his appearances with the Wings.
Not only dead weight but worse an anchort preventing better more affordable players from making and impact and Pejorative Sluring their progress.

i think mrazek is better than gus at this point. and gus didn't deserve the contract that he got.

but i don't think it will hurt his progress to play ton of games in AHL. better be too safe with goalies.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010

That's not really a concern for us, is it?

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Prospects are always the best choices, right? Sure Quicney and Cleary are the whooping boys, if they are not better this season than yes they should be. Holland did what he thought was best for the team, IMO. What goes on behind the scenes? I am not sure and most fans are not either so I reserve judgement. Can't wait til next season starts

Johnz96*

When all is said and done, you suspect that Jurco and Pulkinnen are better players and you don't know that because the fact is that Alfredsson scored more than any of our forwards last year including Zetterberg and Datsyuk and Franzen.

He also had more ice-time than them, you can't score from the bench or the press box.
Nyquist scored at a much higher points per 60 minute played clip but didn't get as much ice-time or as much of his time with top linemates because Alfredsson was there, if he wasn't a better player would have been afforded more time in his place. he is only geting older and regressing while the youngsters are getting better.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Prospects are always the best choices, right? Sure Quicney and Cleary are the whooping boys, if they are not better this season than yes they should be. Holland did what he thought was best for the team, IMO. What goes on behind the scenes? I am not sure and most fans are not either so I reserve judgement. Can't wait til next season starts

That is not true and Holland admitted it. You aren't doing what's best for the team when you pick the garbage player over the younger and better player.

"Gustav Nyquist makes our team better."

Welcome back Dan Cleary.

Nyquist goes to GR.

Jurco will be up full time.

Welcome back Dan Cleary.

Jurco ends up going to GR.

Johnz96*

That's not really a concern for us, is it?

If we want to see a better team, it is. Because it is cap space.
Holland wastes too much cap space on too many unnecessary players that could be used on fewer impact players that address the team's needs while also allowing opportunities for the young guns to contribute and develop.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He also had more ice-time than them, you can't score from the bench or the press box.
Nyquist scored at a much higher points per 60 minute played clip but didn't get as much ice-time or as much of his time with top linemates because Alfredsson was there, if he wasn't a better player would have been afforded more time in his place. he is only geting older and regressing while the youngsters are getting better.

nyquist played with zetterberg when his hot scoring streak started. then when he got injured, he played with legwand and franzen most of the time after deadline. alfie played with lot of crap at that point as he had started to slowdown bc of long season and injuries.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Good for you that you called that but let's not pretend your a GM unless you are one.. Yes this is a message board but I am not a GM so i don't spectulate I know more than the Wings management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad