Would the NHL Have Higher Quality Players with a Soccer or Baseball-style Minor League system?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The problem with increasing the Age in the NHL Draft is that there would be a draft year in the transistion where you would be forced to draft players that went undrafted in the previous season. The talent pool that year might be incredibly dissapointing.

I don't think Increasing the minimum age to 19 would be a good idea, but I think that, say, increasing the Maximum Age to 22 for College Athletes would be a good idea.

Just have a few years with no drafts. Problem solved.

Just kidding, that would be a lot of lost opportunity to boo Gary Bettman

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The CHL system doesn't look great to me in terms of getting the most out of development but a system where NHL teams are operating academies seems like it'd be very complex and involve a lot of movement, given how the distribution of talent and NHL franchises differ. I don't think it'd be better for the average player and I'm not even sure it'd develop all that much more talent.

member 305909

Please explain to me why in American sports when you have a game team x- team y it is the team y which is the home team.

In Europe it is always the home team first.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Please explain to me why in American sports when you have a game team x- team y it is the team y which is the home team.

In Europe it is always the home team first.
because in Baseball the home team bats last and that was the first major pro sporting league in the U.S.

Reactions: member 305909

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
It would be fun if there was a lower league subordinate to the NHL that you could relegate to or get promoted from.

Often the relegation-battles are more entertaining than the championship ones.
Yea I was gonna say the same. Enjoy your top five picks and a season in tier 2 ya scrubs

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I think the point about 15 year olds was that essentially as soon as you are old enough to join a CHL team you are basically "signed" by an NHL team if you take the minor leagues that route. There aren't enough viable players or revenue to fill leagues below AAA (AHL) and the development/aging curve is far too different. Im pretty sure AHL teams have the ECHL as callup/feeders and in this case you would need to position the CHL as a feeder for them for this to work. It would just screw up the dynamics too much. I am of the opinion we should bump the draft age to 19 though.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I do not like the idea of 15yr old draftees. If anything I believe they should be looking at bumping the age to 19.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Players grow and develop too much after 15 for it to be worthwhile. It would never work with the current salary cap structure either. Only a handful (TOR, MTL, NYR etc.) of teams are profitable enough to buy up CHL teams to use as a farm system.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
i think the blueprint is already there, problem is that most NHL teams do use/think of development the same as what MLB does......the only exception to this in the NHL is the leafs and there use of the growlers, most teams think ECHL is where you put players you dont want but are still on contract.....they need to focus on DEVELOPING players and IMO this is where hockey/NHL thinking is still in the stone age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad