OT: Would The NBA Work In Montreal ?

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The NBA is the most popular global sports league outside of the major soccer leagues. Even if the Mtl team was bad - all of the the raps games, celtics games, any time LeBron or Curry etc came to town would sell out. Even guys like Crosby/Ovechkin etc have such a small fanbase compared to the like of the NBA stars, so many kids would want to go watch Luka, Zion, or Ja Morant play etc.

I really don't think the city would have hard time getting people in the stands
Maybe in the beginning, but eventually the novelty would wear off. People would get bored of watching opposing teams super stars "Harlem Globe Trotter" them all over the floor. Also there's the aspect of keeping the young star players you draft.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
seeing some comments on here - the NBA isn't a gate driven league so even if there are down periods of attendance it does not affect a franchise like the NHL or all the other gate driven teams in Montreal. If you don't like basketball or think issues would be the same as the expos pre-major media deals than it's definitely opinion based. NBA would be a money maker anywhere they put a team including montreal and off the bat the team would be more valuable as an investment than the Habs.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I hate saying this. But a basketball team in Montreal imo, would be the NBA's version of the Winnipeg Jets.
The THING is tho H10H

The jets are mostly the jets as in the stigma that it sucks there IS because its winnipeg itself lol, aka not much to do in a one horse town

However in MTL lol...

But , you ARE right that it wouldnt be a tier 1 or tier 2 place most basketball players would want to reside in, purely winter and tax related

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
No

Stars won't come here and they'd leave ASAP and this city is famous for not supporting losing organizations

I'd love for it, I have grown to enjoy NBA basketball more than Hockey but it won't

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
The THING is tho H10H

The jets are mostly the jets as in the stigma that it sucks there IS because its winnipeg itself lol, aka not much to do in a one horse town

However in MTL lol...

But , you ARE right that it wouldnt be a tier 1 or tier 2 place most basketball players would want to reside in, purely winter and tax related
we attract decent European/Russian players in hockey, I imagine we could do well with Euro Basketball players too. but the American Stars (which is needed for NBA) would hate being in MTL.. They already have a rough time adjusting in Toronto, thinking it is some upside down world.

Reactions: Redux91

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Maybe in the beginning, but eventually the novelty would wear off. People would get bored of watching opposing teams super stars "Harlem Globe Trotter" them all over the floor. Also there's the aspect of keeping the young star players you draft.

People complain the raps aren't able to get stars too , and they've been more successful than every franchise outside of LeBron led teams and GSW in the last decade.

It would come down to management as much as location

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The THING is tho H10H

However in MTL lol...

lol Thank you, I should have originally pointed that out. Montreal is an awesome city.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. They could support a team, but the team would be at the level of the Jets. Weather, taxes and even language (ignorance) could/would all be factors.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
People complain the raps aren't able to get stars too , and they've been more successful than every franchise outside of LeBron led teams and GSW in the last decade.

This... A lot has changed thanks to Masai and company. He drafts well, pulls off trades when needed. The whole ppl don't stay thing is overrated. Vince Carter has a podcast and he went to bat for Toronto when some random American media type brought up this notion. DeRozan was pissed when we traded him, Scottie Barnes rookie of the year loves Toronto he actually loves Montreal too he was there during the off season. Kevin's Durant has vacationed in Montreal. If you have a crappy management like the raptors had, which was essentially hockey ppl running a basketball team, then no player wants to come.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

The Raptors also went through hell in the beginning. It took a long time for the team to become as popular as they are today. Even with their success, players aren't lining up to play there.

The Expos had incredible management. Yet they still became a glorified farm team, for the rest of the league. I just don't see the city of Montreal having the interest.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
The Raptors also went through hell in the beginning. It took a long time for the team to become as popular as they are today. Even with their success, players aren't lining up to play there.

The Expos had incredible management. Yet they still became a glorified farm team, for the rest of the league. I just don't see the city of Montreal having the interest.
If Montreal kept the expos for a couple more season it would be a completely different story. The media revenues sky rocketed in 2006 and the league became less ticket gate driven. NBA, unlike the MLB, transcends sport into entertainment. I think one really surprisingly good story out of Montreal is the amount of good basketball players they have coming out of Montreal given it does not have the infrastructure that Ontario and BC has for basketball.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
comparing Winnipeg to Montreal is ludicrous. and the NHL / NBA equivalency doesn't work
The comparison wasn't intended to be city to city. The comparison was made to show that I believed that if Montreal received a team. They would be at around the same level as Winnipeg. I could have picked another low level city if that fits the situation better.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
If Montreal kept the expos for a couple more season it would be a completely different story. The media revenues sky rocketed in 2006 and the league became less ticket gate driven. NBA, unlike the MLB, transcends sport into entertainment. I think one really surprisingly good story out of Montreal is the amount of good basketball players they have coming out of Montreal given it does not have the infrastructure that Ontario and BC has for basketball.
IMO...All that would have done is delayed the same results. Less people were going to the games. Less people were watching the games on TV. Eventually the sky rocketing media money would have dwindled away.

I will agree with that. It's amazing to see how many good players Montreal is producing. Especially when comparing the province to Ontario and BC.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I think it could happen: Québec is the blackest province of the country, it comes down to France's versus England's colonial past and how they spread their language. They would immediately garner an international following too.
This is false. Ontario has two times more black people in absolute numbers.

Edit : even though we have the Haitians mainly come to Quebec, the majority all the other (english-speaking, for example Jamaicans) black people from the carribeans go to Ontario.

Last edited:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I'm not sure why this even matters - in Toronto it's not just black people who watch the game.
Some demographics are more drawn to the sport, it's a fact, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that significant to the potential success of a team in Montreal.

One thing is sure though is that Montreal/Quebec is a wide-open, unexploited market and one the biggest metro-area to not have a team yet. I'm sure the NBA has arleady looked at us real hard in recent years because the potential is huge. And younger generations are generally more drawn to the sport so it could really blow up if done well.

Reactions: OG6ix

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
To make sure both Montrealers and people from Quebec City have equal access to the team, it should be based half-way, at the location of the late-Madrid hotel, playing at the future Normand L'Amour memorial arena :sarcasm:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Before the year 2000's, I would've said no. But today's population with many different nationalities, many of witch already know and practise the sport, I would say yes.

Sure, Jean-Guy Tremblay and Gino Cartier don't know the fist thing about the sport, they're hockey fans period. But attract all the new immigrants and you're already ahead. Make sure marketing is top notch and talented scouts. Money.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Grizzlies left due to a historically bad management team, a weak dollar, and a general perception of Vancouver being a siberian outpost.

Since the Grizzlies left, the league has become more cultured, and international, with a stronger econonic model that dwarfs the nhl.

Canadian teams will never be big players in the UFA market, but the raptors are a clear example that if you are managed well, you can make it work. The climate isn't as daunting as the late 90s when the Grizzlies died.

Reactions: OG6ix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad