Would the Lightning have won the cup if they kept Gusev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
No theyre season overachievers
They have great top wingers and amazing offensive and d depth. However theyre missing the 1 , 2 center punch that gets team the cup

Point/stamkos johnson aint gonna cut it imo
Unless im missin someone
Help****

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Connor McDavid can't carry a team to a playoff berth but Nikita Gusev would have been the difference maker when the competition is at its highest?

I would agree.

McDavid >>> Gusev. Can't argue about the intangibles.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Maybe if we also had Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Vasi and Hedman playing as well.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't think they would have gotten out of the first round. Was Gusev the difference between a CBJ sweep and TB winning the series outright? I don't think so.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
If Gusev had been able to play all positions 60 minutes a night at elite level - sure.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I think the Lightnings issues were/are a lot deeper than just Gusev.

The Lightning don't really have any issues. They just went cold at the wrong time and played a team in incredible form. It happens.

They will win at least one cup in the next 2 years if they don't panic.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The Lightning don't really have any issues. They just went cold at the wrong time and played a team in incredible form. It happens.

They will win at least one cup in the next 2 years if they don't panic.
When you have one of the greatest regular seasons of all time and then get swept by the lowest seed in the tourney, then yes you do have issues. There was a lot more to that than just "going cold."

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
My team got swept also, but the addition or subtraction of a single player does not change 4 straight losses to completing every round and lifting Lord Stanley. That is too wide of a gradient of outcomes for any single player to ever effect. If you wanted to argue they would not have been swept, I’d want some situations described where you thought on specific plays or chances he’d be the best player out there. But sure I’d listen to that. If you wanted to argue they would’ve gotten out of the first round. An eyebrow would be going up, and you’d have to have a very compelling and detailed argument. Otherwise I’m brushing you off. After that, entering the second round? You’ve entered waters of extrapolation and happen stances so broad you could never argue any single player could change from what did happen to going any further.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Closed

7) Forum Management: Threads and posts that are redundant, in the wrong forum, or deemed unnecessary per the assessment of moderators are subject to being merged, moved, edited, deleted or closed. Thread titles must be as specific and informative as possible (no clickbait) and first posts must provide relevant commentary (“discuss” is not enough, for example). One account is allowed per user and you are responsible for what’s posted from your account. Please check the sticky threads at the top of each forum for any forum specific rules. If a moderator gives you a specific instruction in a warning, and you blatantly disregard it, you are subject to an account review.

Reactions: SeanConn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad