Would the Leafs consider trading Matthews if they got a haul for him?

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
A player of Matthews caliber you keep and get pieces to build around him to succeed he's a prime #1 top 5 player in the world. Get rid of other assets and build around him. Not get rid of.
The problem with Matthews is he disappears in the playoffs.

Yeah you shouldn't just trade him for a prospect and a 1st, but simultaneously 9 playoff series is more than enough sample size.

He shouldn't be given away, but the Leafs should 100% explore what they can get for him. Here are two ppg/gpg season to playoffs, one guy is basically as good as gone, the other is some untouchable?

1.16/.66
.87/.42

1.1/.33
.88/.2

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I want Marner gone. He runs the system too much and it doesn't work in the playoffs.

Get rid of Marner somehow.

Please keep Matthews, because it's the Leafs and we're always going to f it up, so at least let me watch a guy break franchise records in goal scoring over and over during the regular season.

Dude is worth the price of admission. I'd like to keep enjoying that.

Tavares.........behind closed doors politely discuss a trade, retention obvious. Don't make it public.

Marner, ask about trade, let him walk if no.

I think the Leafs will do a retool and I think they're in the position to give that a shot this time and who knows? A lot of teams suck we've just sucked the longest.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I want Marner gone. He runs the system too much and it doesn't work in the playoffs.

Get rid of Marner somehow.

Please keep Matthews, because it's the Leafs and we're always going to f it up, so at least let me watch a guy break franchise records in goal scoring over and over during the regular season.

Dude is worth the price of admission. I'd like to keep enjoying that.

Tavares.........behind closed doors politely discuss a trade, retention obvious. Don't make it public.

Marner, ask about trade, let him walk if no.

I think the Leafs will do a retool and I think they're in the position to give that a shot this time and who knows? A lot of teams suck we've just sucked the longest.
I hope Marner isn't extended man. I also think if he's not, he'll realize he's playing for his job in the playoffs next year and maybe actually show up.

Management should send a message that it is a privilege for a player to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs and get all the incentives that they do by playing here, not the other way around. Let him earn his next paycheck.

Realistically I don't think either of those guys waives, both are home town guys and we're probably stuck with the both of them until next summer. Hope I'm wrong, I'd like to start the re-tool immediately but I dunno.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
No. At worst Marner and JT leave as UFAs next season and the Leafs have 25m to play with.

What I think happens is Marner is moved this summer (probably with extension in hand) for a "fine" package of picks/prospects and roster players.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Matthews cares about scoring goals and making money. That’s it. Just listen to his presser after the playoffs.

Why would he waive to go to a less-lucrative market than Toronto?

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
No, unless he asks to leave.

I get the goal for most fans is to win the cup, but Matthews is one a great player and two, such a massive marketing piece. He has a chance to go down as the best Leaf since Keon if not further back than that. While the current playoff performance of our team has been insanely disappointing, Matthews fills seats (granted anyone can do that in Leaf land, we've seen a team with JVR as the best player sell out pretty much everygame while tanking) and draws viewers.
Isn’t Sundin better than Keon?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I can foresee him giving the Leafs one more chance, and if they don't have a better postseason result, asking for a trade. He can use the shorter contract (at that point, it would be 3 years left) as leverage because he's never that far away from free agency again.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I doubt it.

It is interesting though because what if he's the only one they can trade? What if Tavares and Marner sit on their NMCs and that's that?

Imo all that means is that the team will just not make any trades with their core. All this talk just means that Treliving will now will attempt to trade Marner and Tavares. But wishing doesn't make it so. I'm sure they are working really hard to prepare whatever spin they can that justifies another offseason like last one, that they can sell as something more

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
He gets the best brand-marketing and advertising opportunities out in Toronto no? That’s a lot of extra money each and every year.
In a place where if you do good, the public looks at you as a God and if you do bad they may come and harm or kill you or those around you. Gross income isn't what should be looked at in any situation, it's Net. And if you're spending extra money on private security or other paranoias, especially if it starts affecting your mental health because of it, is it really worth whatever extra money he's making?

It's a lot of money when you hear it because we're not going through what it takes to make it or live in or around it. To me, that kind of nonsense isn't worth it, especially for something that's both physically and mentally exhausting to begin with, like playing a sport.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I hope Marner isn't extended man. I also think if he's not, he'll realize he's playing for his job in the playoffs next year and maybe actually show up.

Management should send a message that it is a privilege for a player to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs and get all the incentives that they do by playing here, not the other way around. Let him earn his next paycheck.

Realistically I don't think either of those guys waives, both are home town guys and we're probably stuck with the both of them until next summer. Hope I'm wrong, I'd like to start the re-tool immediately but I dunno.

They're hometown guys, unlike Sundin.

Do they want to be hated here? Tavares doesn't deserve to be run out of town so that's a private and respectful discussion for Leafs management, but Marner needs to go for sure.

He just runs too much of the play style of the team and then we're playing perimiter cutesy hockey in the playoffs. As someone else said, I'd rather see him walk for nothing and have the cap space.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Leafs need to blow it up, do a Kessel-esque tank and start over with a total rebuild. Too much of a taint of maismatic dysfunction and failure hangs over the heads of the current team. What is needed is a complete cleansing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Leafs need to blow it up, do a Kessel-esque tank and start over with a total rebuild. Too much of a taint of maismatic dysfunction and failure hangs over the heads of the current team. What is needed is a complete cleansing.
No they don’t. The Leafs need to keep their core intact for one more run.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What if the Leafs got offered a #1C, a #1D and a #1 goalie for Matthews? Even if the Leafs have to add picks to balance the trade. Would and should the Leafs do it despite just signing Matthews to a new contract that starts next season? Or is Matthews untouchable?

Like if we were offered Mackinnon, Makar and Georgiev would we do it?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think there's like a 0.1% chance Matthews gets traded this offseason.

But no one is untouchable. If some team offers a deal that makes sense, then you would do it. It's just exceptionally unlikely that a team would offer up enough to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad