Speculation: Would Morgan Rielly be the #1 pick this year?

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
Covenant

I guess the question is if Nonis traded Rielly for the #1 pick in this draft, how many would support that move. My vote is not!

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
this years draft class is a bit over-rated, personally I wouldnt choose any of them over Morgan. I think what many dont realize is that Rielly is still a bit behind in terms of development losing almost a season to an ACL injury.

His pairings this past year until the leafs acquired Gleason were AWFUL, Tim really isnt that fantastic either. Mark Fraser is likely not an NHL player anymore, Ranger was still finding his game, regularly looking worse than Morgan and Franson was a gong show turn over machine often well out of position and a huge liability.

So when your talking about Trouba being better than Rielly you should remember he was paired with Mark Stuart, Maata filled in on top pairings with the likes of Letang and Nisk so yea their numbers are going to look better but you have to see the big picture.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm curious...Where would Morgan Rielly fit in this draft if he were available?

Is he better than Ekblad?

Not at all. Rielly will have to generate big offense to be a top guy, and he hasn't shown that yet. Ekblad had similar Junior offense results and is way more of a physical specimen. Of course Ek could still be a bust but he looks better than Pietrangelo at the same age so in terms of pure potential not even close. Rielly has already shown he isn't a thinner Doughty but his year wasn't far from Karlsson at the same age so anything is possible. He did look like he belonged later in the season -13 for the year but managed to stay even from March 1st onward while the rest of the team imploded.

mikebel111*

What's so good about him?

He's not really proven to be any better than all the recent top D prospects/rookies...

Too early to say he should be drafted here or there
That goes for any D man that hasnt proved themselves.
Rielly upside is much greater.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That goes for any D man that hasnt proved themselves.
Rielly upside is much greater.

I think Rielly is going to be a great Dman. Extremely shrewd pick by the leafs. In saying that, Ekblad is a 6-4, 220 pound who is a great skater, has a mean streak, great breakout pass and bomb of a slap shot. Morgan has better skating and vision, but the edge in everything else goes to Ekblad. (IMO of course)

mikebel111*

I didnt even mention Ekblad
Just trying to make point to other poster

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Would he be number one?

That would depend entirely on the GM this year.He was top 5 in his class but Yakupov went number one. Reilly has made the team,so no, Im not trading for a maybe.Reilly needs another year to grow but in a couple of years he could be scarry, not Doughty but 50 pts is very real for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad