Speculation: Would Leafs have interest in Kovalchuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh S

Apr 8, 2018
I know, I know. The history between Ilya and Lou probably make this impossible, but hear me out:

With JVR set to hit UFA, we re going to need a LW. Who better then one of the best snipers in the history of the game? As a bonus, if we signed Kovalchuk, he d give us the best 1 timer we ve had on our PP since Bryan McCabe.
Not to mention, this guy has extensive Olympic experience, SC final appearance and a former NHL captain, all things the good, young players on our team could learn from.

What'd you guys think? Yay or Nay to Kovi?

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

Josh S

Apr 8, 2018
We have young wingers ready to graduate I'd rather spend the money on D and increase the roles of guys like Kapanen and Johnsson

Signing Kovalchuk would give us the option of tradng one of our young wingers such as Nylander, Marner, Brown, etc and adding that young, top end RD d-man we all want on this team . He would balance out the wings because outside of Marleau (next year) our RWs are considerably better. I don't know man, I think if we have the chance to add a LW of this magnitude we do it and fix the D by moving a piece on RW . It would be a deeper, more experienced Leaf team from LW to RW to D with Kovi and a trade or two.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What's the bad blood with Kovi and Lou? I was under the impression NJ ownership forced that deal on Lou and Kovi backing out to go to Russia helped them in the long run. Imagine that contracts on the books now.

Reactions: indigobuffalo

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
We already have Marleau in the veteran role who can put up points.

I honestly don't want to see a spot taken by someone who could be a cheaper and better option in the long run.

Besides, I feel that he's a sort of player I wouldn't want to see on the Leafs. The way he ditched his contract and ran away left a sour taste in my mouth.

So, hell no, I don't want to see him with the Leafs.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Could see us looking into a vet UFA on a 1 year deal like Kovy Thornton or Nash. Don't see us just giving Johnsson and Kapanen top 9 spots next year.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Signing Kovalchuk would give us the option of tradng one of our young wingers such as Nylander, Marner, Brown, etc and adding that young, top end RD d-man we all want on this team . He would balance out the wings because outside of Marleau (next year) our RWs are considerably better. I don't know man, I think if we have the chance to add a LW of this magnitude we do it and fix the D by moving a piece on RW . It would be a deeper, more experienced Leaf team from LW to RW to D with Kovi and a trade or two.

Kovalchuk is to slow for this team. He won't fit in just like Plekanec has had trouble doing. He is going to be 35 by the time the season starts. I'm not willing to trade one of our young wingers just because old man Kovalchuk is stepping into the lineup. I'm quite confident management can acquire a dman without trading a guy like Nylander or Brown.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kovalchuk is to slow for this team. He won't fit in just like Plekanec has had trouble doing. He is going to be 35 by the time the season starts. I'm not willing to trade one of our young wingers just because old man Kovalchuk is stepping into the lineup. I'm quite confident management can acquire a dman without trading a guy like Nylander or Brown.

What? Speed is still one of his strengths. He was amazing in the Olympics.

I’d sign him as a JvR replacement. 2 years at 9M or one year at like 5M.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
If he's willing to take a 1-year deal, absolutely, without question.

He'd be a very solid replacement for JVR without the long-term commitment.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I think the Leafs would try to gauge interest in just about anybody with NHL skill but kicking the tires and actually signing a player are a lot of steps apart. I think that they will take that first step, but I would be surprised if it goes much further.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
1 year deal of course. The big 3 contracts don’t kick in until the season after anyways, plus the reason he’s coming back is for a chance at a cup.
It would give him a (good) chance to win a cup without the long term commitment to the NHL, so it lets him go back to Russia after achieving his one remaining goal

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Are people still saying this? No, no, no. Do not trade Marner or Nylander. We added a solid top 4 D for free in Dermott. Keep building.
What are we, Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad