Would Edmonton have kept Sam Reinhart up if they drafted him?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Those saying the Oilers would have kept Reinhart up no matter what, are just using him as a prop to vent their angst about Draisaitl being here, even though Drai wasn't nearly as obviously not ready for the NHL as Reinhart was.

Even during preseason and their rookie camp, according to the Buffalo guy Stauffer was interviewing it was apparent that Reinhart was having difficulty with not only the strength of the players, but with the speed of the game. Frankly I'm surprised they even gave him 9 games.

Anyway, it's all moot. He's not an Oiler, Draisaitl is. I'm sure they'll both be very good NHLers, if not this year.

that and our witnessing an organization that has filled huge holes in the roster with 18 year old draft picks, oh IDK, about half a dozen times in the last 10 years.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I've been impressed with Drai's defence and just the little things that he does right. I don't think we will see good offence from him until year 3-5.

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge
Reinhart was terrible. We wouldn't have kept him up. The somewhat comparable situation is Nuge, who was also weak, but he was putting up big numbers right away. So, they aren't comparable.

The Drai situation is more like what Monahan last year. They are similar players. Drai is a bit better actually. So far they are progressing similarly. Drai is doing well, unlike Reinhart was.

Uh, Monahan went 7-4-11 in his first 15 games.

Yeah if anything it was the complete opposite situation. Monahan forced himself onto the roster.

I'm with JonQuixote and Chunkylover53, please explain how the Draisatl situation is anything like Monahan last year? And please, please explain how you conclude Draisatl is showing to be the better of the two.

In Monahan's first 9 games he was 6-3-9 -2 averaging 15:46 TOI, projecting as 54-27-82 over a full season, that's a point per game player.
After 15 games, Monahan was 7-4-11 -5 averaging 15:39 TOI, projecting as 38-21-60, or .73PPG

Draisatl after 9 games was 1-2-3 -4 averaging 13:14 TOI, projecting as 9-18-27 and 0.33PPG.
After 15 games, he is 1-3-4 -6, averaging 12:57 TOI, projecting as 5-16-21 or 0.26PPG.

Monahan finished the season with 75 games played, 22-12-34 or 0.45PPG.
Drasaitl would have to score 21 goals in his next 60 games, and add another 9 assists, to match Monahan's production last year. He'd have to be a 0.5PPG player for the rest of the season, which there is no indication that he can be.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
that and our witnessing an organization that has filled huge holes in the roster with 18 year old draft picks, oh IDK, about half a dozen times in the last 10 years.

Excluding first overall selections, I think they've had 2 first round picks play in the NHL in the year after their being drafted in the last 30 years. One of them put up 50 points in their rookie year.

So while we can certainly argue about if if the organization and/or the player is best served by playing this year, trying to act like the organization has habitually rushed 18 year old draft picks is farcical.

Eirhead*

Yeah if anything it was the complete opposite situation. Monahan forced himself onto the roster.

Indeed, our roster forced Draisaitl on. Not ragging on Drai, infact I love the kid, I think he was an awesome draft choice... But ya, we should have picked up a #2 level center in free agency. It just kinda sucks because there wasn't too many good choices in free agency this year. Good teams lock up their good centers.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Draisaitl earned his spot on this team. He hasn't had as many points as Monahan did, but he does the little things really well. He's like the Marincin of centers, shielding the puck and then doing the smart little dish rather than panicking with the puck. Just like Marincin, he doesn't have the points but that's only part of the picture.

Draisaitl has been sheltered but that cuts both ways. It means he doesn't play as many minutes so there are less chances to score, and he rarely plays with the top players as well. His point totals are also suffering from our anemic powerplay, which is a team problem.

Drai also has a respectable FO percentage at 47%

If Reinhart could have done all those good things that Drai did, he would have stayed up with us. If he would have played with us like he did for Buffalo, we would have sent him down. That's just my opinion of course but my point is that Drai did better than Reinhart so we can't just say that it was just a case of Buffalo doing the safe, correct thing and us rushing player (yet again). They aren't the same.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
Now we're creating imaginary scenarios in which Oilers management screws things up. Excellent HF Oil, Excellent...

KennyFnPowers*

it baffles me as to why the hell the Oil still haven't brought in a solid core of vets for the amazing pool of young talent they have. I mean.. Bettman has to of told them they need to do that, aside from "I will be shipping this team to a US city if you dare land in the bottom 10 any more for the next 20yrs"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad