Would Dahlin crack top 10 all time draft prospects ?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Let's get these out of the way :

Lindros
McDavid
Crosby

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Certainly not. Top ten prospects would actually be an interesting topic but it almost certainly has been done before. Certain number one players are obviously ahead as mentioned, some number two prospects would also be ahead. I wonder how deep any particular draft can go before Dahlin was clearly a better prospect than the player selected at a given spot.

Reactions: seventieslord

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Ranked by most pre-draft hype surrounding a first overall prospect:

1. Lemieux
2. Crosby
3. Lindros
4. McDavid
5. Kovalchuk
6. Daigle
7. Lafleur
8. Hawerchuk
9. Matthews
10. Potvin

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
There were really hyped prospect outside the draft also, Orr, Beliveau, Gretzky.

Dahlin arguably is not above Tavares and Lecavalier in hype.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
There were really hyped prospect outside the draft also, Orr, Beliveau, Gretzky.

Dahlin arguably is not above Tavares and Lecavalier in hype.
Definitely not above Tavares-hype. Tavares-hype was pretty absurd. Dahlin is around that Stamkos-tier, I think. I didn't think his hype was anything out of the ordinary for a #1 pick. It wasn't a bad year (like say 2011, 2006, or 1999), but it wasn't a crazy #1 year like 2005, 2015, and to a lesser extent, 2009.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I can agree that it is similar to Stamkos/Doughty levels. I always thought it all depended on team needs to see who went #1 in 2008 so I consider both of them to be pretty much the same when it came to hype. Dahlin is right in that mix. He's no Chris Phillips.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Definitely not above Tavares-hype. Tavares-hype was pretty absurd.

That was following Crosby and is 72 goals season in the OHL at 16 was some kind of record right ? That started talk of him being an even better prospect, not in the Q and scoring so much.

Not sure what happened but is goal scoring didn't increase has a 17-18 year's old in junior (even went down a little bit) but I remember vaguely that there was maybe a reason that is 16 year's old exploit was a bit overrated at the time (could be false I really do not remember why that is).

Ovechkin/Malkin hype was also quite something and above Dahlin I think, there was even some talk about fans if Ov and Crosby was in the same year who would have went #1.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Eric Lindros was without any doubt, the most hyped prospect in NHL history.

I’d probably put Mario Lemieux at number 2. Alexandre Daigle is up there.

McDavid, Crosby, Tavares and Kovalchuk are top 10 as well.

Brian Bellows had massive hype as well. He’s often overlooked in these lists.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The absolute locks are Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, Eric Lindros, Guy Lafleur.Then you have many guys like Denis Potvin, Marcel Dionne, Gilbert Perreault, Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, John Tavares.Not an exact science, but I have a feeling all of those guys were bigger prospects than Dahlin.

Then we have the Thorntons and Lecavaliers of this world.Dahlin looks more or less on that level.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
My admittedly quick attempt at a list.

1. Eric Lindros
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Sidney Crosby
4. Connor McDavid
5. Alexandre Daigle
6. Ilya Kovalchuk
7. John Tavares
8. Guy Lafleur
9. Gilbert Perreault
10. Brian Bellows

Ovechkin and Denis Potvin as honorable mentions.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Dahlin is possibly the 2nd or 3rd biggest defenseman draft prospect of all-time.I feel he's behind Potvin, and maybe behind Pronger and Doughty too.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
One overlooked name when talking about defenseman prospects: Oleg Tverdovsky.

He was drafted behind Ed Jovanovski.

All of those guys, Redden, Berard, Phillips, Hamrlik, Jovanovski, Tverdovsky, were they seen at the level of a Pronger or Doughty? My impression is that they were not, but maybe I'm wrong.

Then we have Bryan Fogarty which is a special case, but he was already damaged by the time he was drafted.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
A57F7A0E-C0CB-4F0E-8CD4-0C109BBC8877.jpeg

On the topic of the Bellows hype, I’ve always loved this THN cover.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Erik Johnson is another defenseman who went 1st overall.I don't remember it that well.I have a vague feeling that Doughty was seen as better but people that follow prospects and drafts more than me can chime in and correct me on that.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
He was drafted behind Ed Jovanovski.

All of those guys, Redden, Berard, Phillips, Hamrlik, Jovanovski, Tverdovsky, were they seen at the level of a Pronger or Doughty? My impression is that they were not, but maybe I'm wrong.

Then we have Bryan Fogarty which is a special case, but he was already damaged by the time he was drafted.

I don’t recall the Chris Phillips and Wade Redden hype being particulary strong. Even in the pages of THN at the time they were considered safe picks in a down year but not necessarily franchise guys. Same for Hamrlik. Jovanovski had a decent level of hype to him but also wasn’t considered a franchise guy.

Berard if I recall correctly was called at the time the greatest defensive prospect in 20 years by a scout to THN.

For d-men I’d rate it:

1. Potvin
2. Pronger
3. Dahlin
4. Berard
5. Doughty

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
On the topic of D, two Finnish players with significant pre-draft hype: Aki Berg and Joni Pitkanen.

And of course Jay Bouwmeester would be in a defenseman top 10. Both he and Pitkanen (to a lesser extent) were viewed in 2002 as potential franchise defensemen.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I don’t recall the Chris Phillips and Wade Redden hype being particulary strong. Even in the pages of THN at the time they were considered safe picks in a down year but not necessarily franchise guys. Same for Hamrlik. Jovanovski had a decent level of hype to him but also wasn’t considered a franchise guy.

Berard if I recall correctly was called at the time the greatest defensive prospect in 20 years by a scout to THN.

For d-men I’d rate it:

1. Potvin
2. Pronger
3. Dahlin
4. Berard
5. Doughty

i might have bouwmeester #2.

but i don’t think we’re giving enough consideration to dave babych, rob ramage, barry beck, and even rick green and gord kluzak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad