would a player with this career make the hall of fame?

would this player make the hall of fame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
a winger
calder finalist
points finishes of 5th, 6th, 6th, 13th, 17th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd, 25th
selke finishes of 9th and 10th
one stanley cup

edit: not an actual player so dont try to figure out who it is

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
a winger
calder finalist
one stanley cup

Nothing in your post hints at a HHOF career, so no without more info provided.

But then again...if you look at Mats Sundin - it's not an exact match to your example (no cup, not a calder finalist) but there is a lot of closeness with point finishes/selke - and yet he's a HHOF'er and I think he 100% belongs.

So - need more info to paint a full picture to judge.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I know you said it's not an actual player, but it sounds a fair bit like Rick Middleton:
  • Both are wingers
  • Your player has a Calder, Middleton doesn't (I don't think this matters too much in assessing a player's legacy)
  • Six times top 20 in scoring (10th, 10th, 13th, 14th, 14th, 16th) - your player has a higher scoring peak
  • Two finishes in the top ten in the Selke trophy (4th, 9th) - better than your example
  • No Stanley Cups (yours has one) - but one Smythe worthy run (33 points in 17 games - lost in conference finals - 2nd only to peak Gretzky in playoff scoring)
  • Middleton had one year where he seriously contended for the Hart trophy (4th overall, 3rd among forwards - behind Gretzky). He was a year-end all-star once. Both of these give him advantages over your player. Middleton had average longevity for his era and typical numbers for a star player.
Based on the limited info, your player seems similar to Middleton, who isn't in the Hall. I'd guess this player isn't either unless there's something missing in the description (ie exceptional longevity, playing well in international tournaments, etc).

Reactions: Voight

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Actually Steve Larmer might be a better match:
  • Both are wingers
  • Both won the Calder
  • Both won a Stanley Cup (Larmer something like 6th-8th overall in importance to the team - unclear if your player a Smythe contender vs secondary contributor vs depth player)
  • Larmer finished 3rd, 8th and 10th in Selke voting (better than your example)
  • Larmer finished 10th, 17th, 17th, 20th, 23rd, 24th, 27th in scoring
So your player is basically Steve Larmer, except he has two extra years as a top ten scorer. Larmer was a great, underrated two-way player. But nobody really pushes for him to be in the Hall. Two more seasons in the top ten in scoring would definitely help his case but I don't know if that's enough - there are several recent players who even have 4x as a top ten scorer with little HOF support (Claude Giroux, John LeClair, Phil Kessel).

Overall your player sounds like a Middleton/Larmer "Hall of Very Good" level player.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Actually Steve Larmer might be a better match:
  • Both are wingers
  • Both won the Calder
  • Both won a Stanley Cup (Larmer something like 6th-8th overall in importance to the team - unclear if your player a Smythe contender vs secondary contributor vs depth player)
  • Larmer finished 3rd, 8th and 10th in Selke voting (better than your example)
  • Larmer finished 10th, 17th, 17th, 20th, 23rd, 24th, 27th in scoring
So your player is basically Steve Larmer, except he has two extra years as a top ten scorer. Larmer was a great, underrated two-way player. But nobody really pushes for him to be in the Hall. Two more seasons in the top ten in scoring would definitely help his case but I don't know if that's enough - there are several recent players who even have 4x as a top ten scorer with little HOF support (Claude Giroux, John LeClair, Phil Kessel).

Overall your player sounds like a Middleton/Larmer "Hall of Very Good" level player.
for one i think giroux should be HOF

and secondly i swear this isnt an actual player. i took an actual active player's finishes in a different stat and pretended they were points, and did a little projection on the rest of their career in that stat + projected them a cup and an extra top 10 selke

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
a winger
calder finalist
one stanley cup

Assuming this player had additional seasons of points finishes in the 26th to 50th range, this player is very likely to make the HHOF.

This is a good mixture of elite play and longevity. The career numbers are likely going to be excellent.

How many players have ever finished top-6 3 times and top-25 9 times and didn't make the Hall? I don't know the answer, but there can't be many.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I know they didnt say to match the player but based on the current NHL no i dont think that player gets in. Alfredsson has better numbers and elite international accolades and hasnt got a sniff. However Sundin is in and really has nothing on Alfredsson overall so maybe its market dependant.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is if that's not a real player. I wouldn't vote him into the HHOF though.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hard to tell without an overall point total, but I’d say no.

My initial thoughts as well, with a point total and PPG numbers it’s hard to say.

I’d say based purely on what Dom posted that no, it’s unlikely that player would be a HOF.

Also as a side bar, congrats @DominicBoltsFan on moving on to college best of luck man. University is an awesome time. Hopefully the world is back to some sense of normalcy before your fall classes begin. Make sure you get some philosophy classes for electives.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
My initial thoughts as well, with a point total and PPG numbers it’s hard to say.

I’d say based purely on what Dom posted that no, it’s unlikely that player would be a HOF.

Also as a side bar, congrats @DominicBoltsFan on moving on to college best of luck man. University is an awesome time. Hopefully the world is back to some sense of normalcy before your fall classes begin. Make sure you get some philosophy classes for electives.
thanks man i appreciate it

Reactions: snipes

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm leaning towards no but how long did this player last?

If he was around 20 years and compiled a bunch of points, I could see it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I'm gonna make him come to my office hours for advisement.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I know they didnt say to match the player but based on the current NHL no i dont think that player gets in. Alfredsson has better numbers and elite international accolades and hasnt got a sniff. However Sundin is in and really has nothing on Alfredsson overall so maybe its market dependant.

Sundin has insane longevity/consistency and a great international record. A snapshot of his finishes is actually pretty similar to player in OP (center vs winger though). Despite this - to me he was a shoe-in, and the reason why is longevity and international resume. The player in OP could have even greater longevity/intentional play, or nowhere close - it's hard to say.

Alfredsson to me didn't have as good a career as Sundin. Not super far off - but Sundin has better longevity, consistency and international resume. Mostly though - to me Alfredsson will also certainly get into the HHOF. So saying he hasn't sniffed it yet is one thing i suppose - but it seems like a certainty he gets in to me

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm gonna make him come to my office hours for advisement.

How are you dealing with final exams? Are you in a “paper finals” based humanities faculty, I know we’ve talked about it before I just can’t remember? I imagine those would be far easier for adjudicating final marks than the science departments with actual sit down exams.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How are you dealing with final exams? Are you in a “paper finals” based humanities faculty, I know we’ve talked about it before I just can’t remember? I imagine those would be far easier for adjudicating final marks than the science departments with actual sit down exams.
I'm in sociology, which is part data and part theory, so I usually have a little bit of both going on.

What we've done this semester, for the most part, is convert tests to written assignments because there's no way to enforce not checking the notes when you're at home. So we've come up with stuff that forces them to demonstrate that they actually thought about it. To be honest, I prefer that anyway and I'll always take critical thought over memorization.

That, in addition to the normal written stuff, makes for more reading, but you're right, it's way easier to adjust. I can be lenient, which is where I want to be with this going on, without having to create an actual mathematical curve.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
:laugh:

It makes me laugh when Sens fans keep trying this. Just about every hockey fan on the planet outside Ottawa acknowledges Sundin as the better player. There have been dozens of polls and Sundin comes out on top literally every time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyrophorus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

It makes me laugh when Sens fans keep trying this. Just about every hockey fan on the planet outside Ottawa acknowledges Sundin as the better player. There have been dozens of polls and Sundin comes out on top literally every time.

It makes me laugh how little you are able to contribute to just about any conversation you take part in on HF, yet post so much. Same career accomplishments, better ppg compared to gpg for Alfredsson. More playoff points for Alfredsson, more playoff appearances, lead the NHL playoffs in scoring. Better defensive player. They are almost identical but hey obviously you cant look at anything objectively.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Individual hardware means a lot when people are voted in, I cant remember the last person inducted without one

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Patrik Elias type of player.

That's the kind of stats line where your career numbers will be the dealbreaker. That and other more circumstantial facts (was he a long time captain, did he have international success, did he put off some playoff heroics, etc...). Judging a borderline player's case solely on his numbers can be misleading (I take Brind'Amour before Dany Heatley).

I too think that Alfredsson is getting in (and that he's pretty much on par with Sundin). With Iginla being the only shoo-in, I expect him to get the call this year.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Individual hardware means a lot when people are voted in, I cant remember the last person inducted without one

2019 - Sergei Zubov
2017 - Dave Andreychuk
2017 - Mark Recchi
2015 - Phil Housley
2014 - Mike Modano

Edit : I you're throwing in All-Star teams then (excluding soviet players) it's

2010 - Dino Ciccarelli
2008 - Glenn Anderson
2006 - Duck Duff
2002 - Bernie Federko
2001 - Mike Gartner

Last edited:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

I think it’s a lot closer than you’re making it out to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad