Worthwhile (Or Not) Entertainment Purchases Thread

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just realized that we haven't really had this type of thread/discussion before, when really, it's often the logical next step whenever I get interested about something that's recommended here. Plus, we don't have a thread for talking about new versions/collector's editions that get released or which version of something is the best to get, and I always find that stuff really fun and rewarding to keep an eye out for.

So, in this thread, rather than JUST talk about the things that we like, we talk about cool versions/packages of them that you can buy or that you own that others may not be aware of. Share, review, complain, argue, compare, etc.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
9781449433253_p0_v3_s1200x630.jpg

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (compact version)
https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Calv...33&sr=8-1&keywords=calvin+and+hobbes+complete

EVERYBODY needs to buy this. I treat it like a goddamn bible, it has every C&H strip released in one definitive, chronological collection, great insight into the process, is far more compact than that gigantic expensive version that used to be available, and it's only $60!

Far and away my favorite gift to spam everyone that I know with-- I basically try to put one in every household.

Also, for anyone who isn't aware of this, this was just released this week. I bought it, but I haven't seen it yet. I thought I was going to have to wait until the American one to air, but instead, I found my go-to Christmas gift for the year.

Last edited:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
9781449433253_p0_v3_s1200x630.jpg

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (compact version)
https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Calv...33&sr=8-1&keywords=calvin+and+hobbes+complete

EVERYBODY needs to buy this. I treat it like a goddamn bible, it has every C&H strip released in one definitive, chronological collection, great insight into the process, is far more compact than that gigantic expensive version that used to be available, and it's only $60!

Far and away my favorite gift to spam everyone that I know with-- I basically try to put one in every household.

Also, for anyone who isn't aware of this, Planet Earth II (UK Version, Region Free Blu Ray) was just released this week. I bought it, but I haven't seen it yet. I thought I was going to have to wait until the American one to air, but instead, I found my go-to Christmas gift for the year.

Amazing finds...I just threw both on my list. Great idea for a thread too. I'll try to think of some things to contribute :laugh:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Amazon has a lot of good classic TV series complete series for relatively good prices.

They have Seinfeld there now for $40.99

71PDHo%2B-nqL._SX385_.jpg

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I don't know if everyone is aware of this, but last year, The Wire was completely remastered in widescreen HD Blu Ray, and it's a massive massive improvement on the crappy low quality (even by the format's standards) DVD that everyone used to have to settled with. The series was originally shot on film, so this isn't just some vague upscaling attempt-- it's the real thing, was labour of love that Simon seemed to be invested in rather than a cash grab (he used to stubbornly trash the idea of moving the series to widescreen, and at the time of production, he wrote meticulous essays breaking down framing considerations and which shots looked better in widescreen vs. 4:3 and which ones didn't-- sounds like he was an absolute pain in the ass to deal with during the process), and it looks excellent.

It's pretty pricey at $112, but it's worth every penny, in my opinion. It's The Wire-- Take my money, David Simon.

Picture Samples:
http://images3.static-bluray.com/reviews/11893_16_large.jpg
http://images2.static-bluray.com/reviews/11893_19_large.jpg
http://images4.static-bluray.com/reviews/11893_28_large.jpg

Video Sample:

Mmmm..... The Wire in HD... *drools*

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive from you.

Also, for anyone who isn't aware of this, Planet Earth II (UK Version, Region Free Blu Ray) was just released this week. I bought it, but I haven't seen it yet. I thought I was going to have to wait until the American one to air, but instead, I found my go-to Christmas gift for the year.

WHAT?! Didn't know this. I was resigned to waiting for a while for it to come out on Blu Ray. Purchasing immediately.

You're a life saver, Sharee.

Edit: And great idea for a thread. I'd miss out on a lot if this type of resource didn't exist on a few of my internet stomping grounds.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Here's something that seemed to completely fly under the radar but I bet a lot of people would appreciate. Particularly anyone who is a fan of this album...

256863_1_f.jpg

1969 Live Vol. 1+2 was pretty much the representative live album for VU for a really long time-- a top notch performance that had this really warm infectious mood to it, despite having horrible sound quality. Now the original two-day live set that made up most of those albums have been remastered and cleaned up to studio quality in a four disc set that sounds wonderful and is far and away the best live document of the band available. Includes a wicked 30+ minute laid back version of Sister Ray and for my money, the best version of Sweet Jane available (not a fan of the studio version, personally).

Definitely pricey, and I don't expect people to go out and buy it, but still, everyone should be aware that it exists and sample it.

Full Youtube:

Last edited:

member 51464

I don't know if everyone is aware of this, but last year, The Wire was completely remastered in widescreen HD Blu Ray, and it's a massive massive improvement on the crappy low quality (even by the format's standards) DVD that everyone used to have to settled with. The series was originally shot on film, so this isn't just some vague upscaling attempt-- it's the real thing, was labour of love that Simon seemed to be invested in rather than a cash grab (he used to stubbornly trash the idea of moving the series to widescreen, and at the time of production, he wrote meticulous essays breaking down framing considerations and which shots looked better in widescreen vs. 4:3 and which ones didn't-- sounds like he was an absolute pain in the ass to deal with during the process), and it looks excellent.

It's pretty pricey at $112, but it's worth every penny, in my opinion. It's The Wire-- Take my money, David Simon.

Picture Quality Examples:
http://images3.static-bluray.com/reviews/11893_16_large.jpg
http://images2.static-bluray.com/reviews/11893_19_large.jpg
http://images4.static-bluray.com/reviews/11893_28_large.jpg

Maybe a weird question, but are the discs easy to get out of the packaging? I was really annoyed with the old complete set of DVDs because it felt like you couldn't pull them out of their sleeves without scratching them.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Maybe a weird question, but are the discs easy to get out of the packaging? I was really annoyed with the old complete set of DVDs because it felt like you couldn't pull them out of their sleeves without scratching them.
Yeah, it's pretty easy. I don't own the DVD set, but there isn't really fancy packaging for the Blu ray-- It's the standard-size rounded blue disc holders w/ four flip-out discs each.

Last edited:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

Also, for anyone who isn't aware of this, this was just released this week. I bought it, but I haven't seen it yet. I thought I was going to have to wait until the American one to air, but instead, I found my go-to Christmas gift for the year.

Got myself that Calvin and Hobbes collection last year :)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just a heads up...

81Z5O10uN6L._SX425_.jpg

Before Trilogy (Criterion Blu Ray)
Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight

Comes out February 28th, 2017

Another set I've been eye-balling as a potential gift (it's one of the few things I like that I feel I can casually recommend to people). Been waiting for Before Sunrise and Before Sunset to come out in HD quality.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Miles_Davis_The_Complete_Live_at_the_Plugged_Nickel_1965.jpg

This is really an amazing set, the logical extension of the kind of music that Miles Davis had been leading up to from early in his career, a sort of distillation, almost to the point of abstraction, of jazz improvisation, full of risk, extremes and nuance. Trouble is, it is only worth listening to if you are familiar with most of Davis' earlier important works. In other words, this set is not for beginners, but for those with some knowledge of Davis' progression. In which case, The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel is an absolutely essential listen, difficult but beautiful and endlessly fascinating.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Miles_Davis_The_Complete_Live_at_the_Plugged_Nickel_1965.jpg

This is really an amazing set, the logical extension of the kind of music that Miles Davis had been leading up to from early in his career, a sort of distillation, almost to the point of abstraction, of jazz improvisation, full of risk, extremes and nuance. Trouble is, it is only worth listening to if you are familiar with most of Davis' earlier important works. In other words, this set is not for beginners, but for those with some knowledge of Davis' progression. In which case, The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel is an absolutely essential listen, difficult but beautiful and endlessly fascinating.
It's one of my favorite albums/sets, but I've been looking everywhere for a physical copy of it for a while now and have been unable to find an affordable version. Seems like it went out of print (that's the wrong word, isn't it?) or something, because everywhere I look, it's like $500-1000.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad