Worst trade in hockey history

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
i dont even think its that bad of a trade even if they dont win a cup. Ramage is a hall of very good kinda player. Trading a future hofer for him isnt that bad of trade. If it was his father or anyone else alot better than Brett I would agree with you.

I think when you look back, and especially take in to account that Ramage only stuck around for one full season until he was traded to Toronto for a 2nd rounder shortly after the Cup, and Ramage was also entering the tail end of his career, it certainly is extremely lopsided.

I don't like ranking trades based on what the teams did with any of the pieces after the fact, I don't think that has any barring so Ramage being immediately shipped out for a 2nd doesn't change anything, but I think it kind of shows where Ramage was at that point in his career (Of course, there's the argument that Flames management was moronic) and what they got out of him pales in comparison to what St.Louis got out of Hull. It's not like he completely boosted them to the top, they didn't win the Cup the season they made the trade, it was the season after when Gretzky was shipped out of Edmonton and everything just fell in to place.

No team takes anything back when a Cup is involved. I mean, as a Stars fan I've had the Nieuwendyk-Iginla debate quite a few times, and Nieuwendyk was far more impactful for us than what Ramage + Wamsley was for Calgary. You don't rock the boat when a Cup is involved. You don't reverse anything. You take your Cup, and leave things alone. However, if things don't fall in to place for Calgary in '89, I don't think there's any way in heck they still do that trade looking back. I don't think there's any way in heck anyone does.

No knock on Ramage, as I stated he was a good defenseman, but regardless it's still lopsided when you look at the facts: A depth/2nd pairing defenseman entering the tail end of his career and a backup goalie, for a guy who would break goal scoring records and score more of them than all but 2 players in the history of the game, and also win a Hart trophy. Put in to that context, it was a bad trade. Put in to the "Well they won a Cup so...." context, then you just take it and forget about everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbu

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Meh.. That trade didn't really do much for either team. LA got 3 nobodys and St. Louis got Gretzky for 18 games. He bolted to NYR that off-season after the Blues were eliminated in the 2nd round.

Keenan really buggered up that situation good. We never got to see Gretzky and Hull and what they could have done together once they developed chemistry.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I think when you look back, and especially take in to account that Ramage only stuck around for one full season until he was traded to Toronto for a 2nd rounder shortly after the Cup, and Ramage was also entering the tail end of his career, it certainly is extremely lopsided.

I don't like ranking trades based on what the teams did with any of the pieces after the fact, I don't think that has any barring so Ramage being immediately shipped out for a 2nd doesn't change anything, but I think it kind of shows where Ramage was at that point in his career (Of course, there's the argument that Flames management was moronic) and what they got out of him pales in comparison to what St.Louis got out of Hull. It's not like he completely boosted them to the top, they didn't win the Cup the season they made the trade, it was the season after when Gretzky was shipped out of Edmonton and everything just fell in to place.

No team takes anything back when a Cup is involved. I mean, as a Stars fan I've had the Nieuwendyk-Iginla debate quite a few times, and Nieuwendyk was far more impactful for us than what Ramage + Wamsley was for Calgary. You don't rock the boat when a Cup is involved. You don't reverse anything. You take your Cup, and leave things alone. However, if things don't fall in to place for Calgary in '89, I don't think there's any way in heck they still do that trade looking back. I don't think there's any way in heck anyone does.

No knock on Ramage, as I stated he was a good defenseman, but regardless it's still lopsided when you look at the facts: A depth/2nd pairing defenseman entering the tail end of his career and a backup goalie, for a guy who would break goal scoring records and score more of them than all but 2 players in the history of the game. Put in to that context, it was a bad trade. Put in to the "Well they won a Cup so...." context, then you just take it and forget about everything else.

I agree somewhat but trading a prospect is always a gamble almost like trading a draft pick. Double edged sword. Ramage was still very good and took over for Suter in the 89 playoffs. Trading an elite sniper for a great stay-at-home defenseman always looks bad because of numbers. But one could also say that if it wasnt for one of the Wings worst trades Hull wouldnt even have scored that much to begin with.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

No knock on Ramage, as I stated he was a good defenseman, but regardless it's still lopsided when you look at the facts: A depth/2nd pairing defenseman entering the tail end of his career and a backup goalie, for a guy who would break goal scoring records and score more of them than all but 2 players in the history of the game. Put in to that context, it was a bad trade. Put in to the "Well they won a Cup so...." context, then you just take it and forget about everything else.

lopsided, yes. bad, i woudn't say so.

i'm willing to definitively say that without that trade there's zero chance of calgary winning the '89 cup. plain and simple, he gave them a third all-star calibre offensive d-man in case anything happened to macinnis or suter. and fletcher hedged right, obviously, because something did happen to suter.

at the time of the trade, that calgary team had peak joe mullen (HHOF, 1st team all-star the following season) and peak hakan loob (1st team all-star that season). brett hull was not better than either guy until until two years later, and young brett hull certainly isn't going to play timmy hunter's role. two years later, you had theo fleury establishing himself (at the time of the trade fleury was the second best player in the CHL) and already in '88 there was at least the sense that getting late-prime makarov to come over was becoming a possibility. would '89 brett hull have fit calgary's bottom two RW spots better than the two hunters and mcdonald (for his leadership/inspiration)? absolutely not, right? and sure you'd like to have 86 goal MVP brett hull there in the early 90s (and beyond?), but with nieuwendyk, fleury, and roberts in place (all future 50 goal scorers), to say nothing of the veterans, you're trading from a position of embarrassingly rich strength aren't you?

but ultimately, i think you're selling rob ramage short here. the guy was a bona fide 29 year old #1, all-star calibre defenseman. he played in all situations and QBed your PP. the reason his stats looked like they fell off a cliff in '89 is because he didn't have to play his offensive role on calgary during the regular season, with macinnis and suter playing the entire two minutes of every PP, and ramage was great because he had the versatility to also be a lock down defensive guy and cover for murzyn (who at the time was still thought to have untapped offensive potential and kevin hatcher upside). and then when suter went down in the first round, ramage stepped into his normal role and put up only two fewer points than the "great" joe nieuwendyk.

and it's a question of windows. i look back at calgary after that cup and i remember being terrified that that team was going to own the league for the foreseeable future. but they didn't. the window closed very quickly. and with a team that talented, i think you want to hedge: another impact d-man in case someone in your top four goes down; a back-up provision for a goalie whose inconsistency in the end proved itself to have sunk what was on paper a possible dynasty. what if vernon was early 90s vernon in 1989? you'd be pretty glad wamsley was there instead of doug dadswell.

and as a canucks fan, i would have LOVED for us to have traded cody hodgson, coming off a legendary WJC performance and OHL player of the year, for two injury provisions. if we'd had a ramage equivalent in place to fill in on D after hamhuis got injured in game one of the finals, and/or a backup top six winger so we wouldn't have had to play jeff freakin' tambellini on the second line after mason raymond had his back broken in the first minute of game six...

you know, i thought that 2011 canucks team would have been right back there. selke winner, two scoring champs, a top three goalie in the world, edler seemingly on the cusp of becoming a bona fide all-situations #1, the cody hodgson that everyone thought was going to be a future jonathan toews... but windows close very abruptly and unexpectedly.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the bertuzzi for luongo trade was horrible for the panthers

considering bertuzzi only played 7 games for them. didn't help that iron mike skipped town immediately after making the trade. clearly a case of trying to help your old team out

Copmuter*

From 1991:

To Pittsburgh: Ron Francis, Grant Jennings and Ulf Samuelsson
To Hartford: John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski and Jeff Parker

Cullen was a more productive player than Francis at the time of the trade

Unfortunately, he suffered a career-altering neck injury

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
Keenan really buggered up that situation good. We never got to see Gretzky and Hull and what they could have done together once they developed chemistry.

Keenan sure did bugger up that situation. That was definately a..

codicecd.jpg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Linnros trade isnt as bad as some others but damn Pierre Page got away with grand larceny.

They received in the trade the rights to eventual Hart Trophy winner Peter Forsberg, as well as Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals—Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash. Since the trade, the Avalanche have won eight division titles and two Stanley Cup championships, due in part to the play of Forsberg, and the later addition of Patrick Roy, whom the Avalanche received in a later package deal that included Thibault.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The Hull trade is a weird one. On one hand, yes it was very lopsided. A HOFer who would go on to score well over 700 goals for who I believe at the time was a 2nd pairing defenseman, and a backup goalie just looks insane. Neither stuck around for very long either, and obviously Hull was a franchise/franchise saving player for St.louis. Would Calgary still do that trade if they knew what Hull would become? Maybe, if they also know they would win that Cup, but they probably try to find another way to get it done.

On the other hand, it was one of those sacrifices that a team right on the verge of winning makes. Wamsley I wouldn't say "threw them over the top" as he was just a backup and I don't think really even played in the playoffs that year (maybe one game), but Ramage certainly helped. They won their Cup, and that's what it's all about, but in the end it was still an extremely lopsided trade.

Maybe they win it anyways, very possible, but I would say that the Gretzky trade to L.A. may have had just as big of an impact on the Flames' championship, some would argue much bigger. Regardless of how highly anyone wants to rate Ramage's impact, if they don't win that one Cup then this trade certainly skyrockets to near the top of any "Worst Trade" list. Their only saving grace and justification for trading a future superstar and one of the top few greatest goal scorers of all-time is, "They won a Cup."

Just a weird one that could be looked at from different angles.
Outstanding post, and I agree. The Gretzky-trade had a much bigger impact on Calgary's Stanley Cup than the Hull/Ramage trade! People not there won't realize the hatred between Edmonton and Calgary in those days (hockey-wise, that is), and it's entirely possible that Calgary's lone Stanley Cup was the product of Gretzky's move, which opened up the Smythe division just as Calgary was peaking.

I don't think Calgary's fortunes were much changed by the Hull/Ramage trade. Ramage was a good player at the time, but he only gave them a year and a bit of service. In the 1988 playoffs, he was rather poor, and was actually one of the reasons they got swept by Edmonton (Wamsley was hilariously bad in relief of Vernon in game 4). In 1989, he contributed his fair share to the Cup win, but he was hardly a standout, with a paltry 16 points in the regular season and 1 goal (9th in scoring) in the playoffs.

So, yes, the Hull trade was a really bad one, if slightly understandable at the time. You asked, above: "Would Calgary still do that trade if they knew what Hull would become?" I think they basically did know what he would become. Cliff Fletcher said, at the time of the deal, that they didn't want to trade Hull because they knew they were probably giving up 40 or 50 goals per season (he'd already scored 26 goals in 52 games for them, while effectively playing on the third line). So, they probably didn't expect him to peak as high as he did from 1989 to 1992, but they basically knew what they were doing.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Outstanding post, and I agree. The Gretzky-trade had a much bigger impact on Calgary's Stanley Cup than the Hull/Ramage trade! People not there won't realize the hatred between Edmonton and Calgary in those days (hockey-wise, that is), and it's entirely possible that Calgary's lone Stanley Cup was the product of Gretzky's move, which opened up the Smythe division just as Calgary was peaking.

I don't think Calgary's fortunes were much changed by the Hull/Ramage trade. Ramage was a good player at the time, but he only gave them a year and a bit of service. In the 1988 playoffs, he was rather poor, and was actually one of the reasons they got swept by Edmonton (Wamsley was hilariously bad in relief of Vernon in game 4). In 1989, he contributed his fair share to the Cup win, but he was hardly a standout, with a paltry 16 points in the regular season and 1 goal (9th in scoring) in the playoffs.

So, yes, the Hull trade was a really bad one, if slightly understandable at the time. You asked, above: "Would Calgary still do that trade if they knew what Hull would become?" I think they basically did know what he would become. Cliff Fletcher said, at the time of the deal, that they didn't want to trade Hull because they knew they were probably giving up 40 or 50 goals per season (he'd already scored 26 goals in 52 games for them, while effectively playing on the third line). So, they probably didn't expect him to peak as high as he did from 1989 to 1992, but they basically knew what they were doing.

Calgary didnt have Oates and whilst Gilmour is an elite player I dont think those two would have clicked the way hull and oates did.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Yeah that in no way justifies the trade. In fact, if you were to ask me, it made it worse, but we won't go there.

What the trade did for L.A. or all of California or Mexico or Yugoslavia or whoever has no barring on how dumb it was for Edmonton. The argument that they won a Cup 2 years later still doesn't justify it either. They were fortunate to still have other pieces in place (Messier, Kurri, Simpson, Ranford coming up huge of course), but that compared to what they could have been is nothing. I think it's mostly those who weren't around at the time who say that stuff.

I've heard many say that the oilers would have won anywhere from 2-5 more Cups on top of that last one had they kept Gretzky. I argue that 1-2 is more realistic, but that's still pretty big regardless, and the overall big picture of what trading the best player in the league and to a guy who to most is the best player of all-time did to not only a franchise but an entire city has to be realized. They were completely hosed, and what the trade was all about ($$) has to be realized as well.

Well clearly Pocklington did not have the $$$ to pay Coffey... Then Gretzky... then Kurri... And finally Anderson, Fuhr, Messier, Lowe and Tikkanen.

It might have been awesome if he sold the team to a big pockets Owner instead of selling Gretzky... But he sold Gretzky.

Gretzky's sale is a lot more related to the Jets and Nords leaving Canada then one would think. Not because of the desire of the NHL to go American or the increased popularity of hockey in the USA due to Gretzky. Small Market teams could not compete in the new higher salary environment with a weak Canadian dollar. And with the lack of desire for Canada to spend public dollars on arenas and the desire of many US cities to do so it really led to a big threat to small markets, especially in Canada.

From like about 1988 to 1994 you saw salaries spike in a crazy way. Probably increasing by double or triple in a half dozen years. You go from basically 2 million dollar players in 99 and 66 to tons of million dollar players. A teams payroll could spike from 8 million to 25 million or something.

Plus a ton of NHL owners were grifters and scam artists... Like both owners involved in the Gretzky trade and the owners involved in much of the teams that moved.

In hindsight if a legit owner like Weston's or Esso or Labatts had bought the Oiler's (or Jets... Nords) history could have been different. But it wasn't so we saw what we did.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I haven't read this whole thing but..uh...

:flyers

Eric Lindros

:avs

Steve Duchesne, Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, 15 m cash, 93 1st (Jocelyn Thibault), future considerations - (Chris Simon)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This one will sting in time and people can reflect on this post and others similar calling it:

TO CALGRY: Shinkaruck
TO VANCITY: Granlunds brother

Another bad one but will see in the future if it will be as bad as others listed:

TO MONTREAL: Zack Kassian AND a 5th round pick
TO VANCITY: Prust

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Hartford had a horrible reputation for making lousy trades since joining the league in 1980 really. Quickly swapped Mark Howe & leading scorer Mike Rogers for picks & players that didnt pan out; flat out traded hardrock Defenceman Gordie Roberts who played another 15yrs for Mike Fidler who's career was over 6mnths after landing in Connecticut. Arguably the worst was in 91 when they sent Ron Francis, huge fan favorite & holder of just about every WHA & NHL Whaler record along with Ulf Samuelsson & Grant Jennings to Pittsburgh for Zarley Zalapski, Jeff Parker & John Cullen, none of whom ever panned out while Francis & Samuelsson helped the Penguins win 2 Stanley Cups. Eddie Johnston, the old goalie himself & GM of the Whalers who pulled trigger on that deal himself winds up in Pittsburgh not 2yrs later.... then theres Don Waddell in Atlanta of more recent history. Dunno where you'd even begin with that one.

link to the trade at the time, may have been contract/money related (Ron Francis).

Looks like a heist now but not at the time. Zalapski and Cullen were very good players who EJ knew well. I believe injuries were Zalapski's downfall, he had alot of talent.

Cullen was a hard nosed offensive player who was having a great year (5th in league scoring). Lemieux missed most of the 1990/91 regular season, Cullen was the number one center in his absence, a key player to their regular season which ended up in a cup . He had great chemistry with Mark Recchi. He had some serious health problems later on.

EJ made one of the key trades in Penguins history...getting Paul Coffey from Edmonton (mainly for Craig Simpson). Coffey's presence meant teams could not focus soley on 66.

Another trade Johnston made while the Pens gm belongs here, I believe.

Getting Kevin Stevens from LA for Anders Hakansson.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Hull for Ramage was key for the Flames in 89 because they lost Suter to injury in the Vancouver series and he didn't play in the rest of the playoffs.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
This one will sting in time and people can reflect on this post and others similar calling it:

TO CALGRY: Shinkaruck
TO VANCITY: Granlunds brother

Another bad one but will see in the future if it will be as bad as others listed:

TO MONTREAL: Zack Kassian AND a 5th round pick
TO VANCITY: Prust

Habs got a free 5th rounder. Big whoop.

Although, they have done well with 5th rounders.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Phil Kessel to the Leafs for 2 first round picks and 1 second round pick.

The subject matter of the thread is subjective. There is no right or wrong answer other than what any particular individual believes, so save the arguments that it's not the worst trade of all time.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I must have missed a page or two but I cannot believe the Hasek trade from Chicago to Buffalo isn't getting more mentions. Stephane Beauregard and considerations for arguably the greatest goaltender of all time...seems pretty lopsided to me.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada

Curious why you think Keenan buggered it up?

I remember when they played together. They had no chemistry at all. Sure many ppull were salivating at how the combination looked on paper and all the "experts" talked about dominant they would be together.

In fact they did not mesh and I doubt that they ever would have. It happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad