Post-Game Talk: Worst team wins? Or loses? Habs lose 2nd straight

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bless your heart.

You went from "hope you think you are smart" to Bless your heart. I noticed the quick edit ;). I'll give you a little credit of calming down the post war on something stupid

Sorry if this offends you but thinking Savard or Kova provides better 2nd PP unit value over Drouin is exaggeration. You can try to belittle me in your defense if you want. Good luck

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You went from "hope you think you are smart" to Bless your heart. I noticed the quick edit ;). I'll give you a little credit of calming down the post war on something stupid

Sorry if this offends you but thinking Savard or Kova provides better 2nd PP unit value over Drouin is exaggeration. You can try to belittle me in your defense if you want. Good luck

You're already belittling yourself. I don't need to pile up.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
People who are screaming for a rebuild get upset when we lose… I’ll never understand this.

We’re a team packed with rookies and younger players. We’re not a good team and weren’t expected to be. We’ve got some good young talent that’s fun to watch. So sit back, chill out and watch them develop. The Habs are mostly a fun team to watch now even when we’re losing.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
The hockey team took to the ice
Against a squad of feathered foes
But alas, they couldn't suffice
the might of the ducks, no one knows

The puck flew swift and true
But the ducks were quicker still
Their wings a blur of motion
Their beaks a formidable drill

The hockey players battled hard
But the ducks were a well-oiled machine
Their quacks a battle cry
Their feathers a gleaming sheen

The final score was clear to see
The ducks had won the game
The hockey team trudged off the rink
Feeling nothing but shame

But even in defeat, they knew
They'd face off with the ducks again
For the love of the sport runs deep
And in hockey, there are no "ifs" or "when"

+ a bonus reminder to everyone

So let this be a lesson, never underestimate the power of the fowl,
For they may waddle and quack, but they can still rule the rink and prowl.
Hockey players, beware, and watch your back,
For the ducks may seem small, but they can still attack.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ducks came in to Montreal after two shutout losses to the Leafs and Sens. Habs were playing back/back. I expected the Habs to show more but I also expected the Ducks to show up with their best energy which they did. Trying to play prediction on wins/losses due to "tough schedule" is flawed. Very difficult to nail down in season momentum for both the Habs and the teams we play at any given point

* Drouin should be on the 2nd unit at the point. Not he 1st unit.
* Armia is basically a bottom 6F who lacks confidence at the moment. Same applies with Evans
* Dadonov is the strange one MSL has shown loyalty. Why is Dadonov getting more oppertunity vs Pitlick? I don't really care cause it don't really matter but that part is strange.

Playing them so we can showcase them to get futures in a trade? I don't believe this is true with Drouin or Dadonov. But it is with Eddy, Monahan, and also Hoffman to some degree.
Some good points also, absolutely agree to a certain extent.............losing to the Ducks no matter what excuses we make, we still lost to the worst team in the league.....
Honest question.........does anyone know the last time Mr Drouin has scored a PP goal? All the while there are guys on the bench who know are better players? I am thinking it's something like almost 3 calendar years?
Showcasing the turds we have like Drouin is a pipedream now......as you mention Monahan yes, and Eddy also, then put him out there ala Chariot and see what we can get....

I am fully aware we need to draft top 10 once again, but losing the last two games, which were absolutely winnable games, is also important to the development of the team, and the coaching staff.
They cannot fall back to where they were under DD. They are a better team than that this year.

People who are screaming for a rebuild get upset when we lose… I’ll never understand this.

We’re a team packed with rookies and younger players. We’re not a good team and weren’t expected to be. We’ve got some good young talent that’s fun to watch. So sit back, chill out and watch them develop. The Habs are mostly a fun team to watch now even when we’re losing.
Agree somewhat, but the last TWO games they were not fun to watch....

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
Dallas Eakin looking like Mister Bean’s « handsome and successful » brother :naughty:

Slaf played good.

Kovacevic was solid, valuable waiver pick-up.

Drouin played ok last two games … until the end… both games… I defended the guy a lot but he needs to NOT be on the ice for these moments.

Cole was Cole.

Kirby getting better along the boards.

Allen with the soft goal…again.

Tank tank bargain bin tank tank give me likes

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Good points, but you have to admit, what MSL is doing at times, is very frustrating............5 forwards on a PP with a Guhlie or Jackeye on the bench..........using Drouin as last man back with an empty net and so on.......
Losing is one thing..............but the Ducks only had ONE regualtion win in almost 30 games....

Fans gets frustrated with good reason at times....all that said, MSL has marching orders of sorts, to get something for duds like Drouin, Dadonov, Armia etc and as many have mentioned a turd is a turd......

There has never been ANY coach in ANY sport at ANY level that has not made frustrating decisions.

I also suspect that the organization views MSL as a coach who is developing just as much as some players are.

The bigger picture is that the team is competing and there has been notable growth among the numerous young guys on the team. Montreal is playing young guys (23 and below) more promenintly than almost every other team in the league, despite having more money tied up in vets than most teams in the league. Personally, they're already an outlier, I'm not going to knitpick or get worked up when they're doing what many on here have been hoping they'd do for a long time.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002

Doubtful it’s the same individuals still I don’t blame people for failing to wrap their heads around a rebuild. For one, it’s never been done in this franchise history and also the start of the season might have confused people.
Rebuilds are not linear, you could pick first, make the playoffs the year after then pick top 5 the year after that.
It’s been repeated many times but it’s process over result.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I really didn't want to be a St Louis hater. I thought he did bring a breath of fresh air when he arrived and for the time being it did feel like it. Yes, the team kept loosing but you could totally see the difference in that approach, attitude, treatment of youngsters, etc... but since this season started i've been seeing more and more disconnect between his comments and his actions. Here is the latest, after last night.

« Manque d'exécution et trop de passagers. C'est pas mal ça.» - St. Louis

Well... can't argue that part that there are too many passengers. Can anyone honestly say that Slaf was a passenger last night, since he is the only one that got benched? How can I possibly believe that MSL is any different from other Habs coaches in the past after this?

Again, this is NOT about winning (we already know it isn't). It is about finally building the culture of meritocracy where everyone, vets and rookies, get treated the same. It about NOT having favorites. To me, that's the culture that actually encourages performance and commitment. Le sigh.

Last edited:

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
It’s hockey IQ. His processing speed never progressed passed a junior level
The F? Without his mental health issues hE would be PPG. He already puts up points every year in the league.. he is an NHL player and knows how to score.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
The F? Without his mental health issues hE would be PPG. He already puts up points every year in the league.. he is an NHL player and knows how to score.
He does skate right into trafic on every zone entry like he always had. I guess scoring and knowing how to are quite different things.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Yeah, considering this is still a tank year, where this hate is coming from is beyond me. I don’t even disagree about Slaf’s usage this season.

I mean, this isn‘t DD we‘re talking about here.
Same. Pretty sure they are mostly just following a plan, with Gorton and Hughes at the wheel.

Imagine leaving their office game day, they ask you and you agree to showcase Dadonov, Drouin, Armia, etc, and 1st power play you tap Guhle and Slafkovsky and keep them there 1min 45 lol

Reactions: Runner77

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Just buy out all the deadwood. I’m about to tune out of the games

There once was a coach named Marty
Whose team was quite young and hearty
But the GM insisted On playing the veterans
Now Marty's team is just losing badly!

Last edited:

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
You arent getting anything for Dadonov, Hoffman, Armia, Drouin. Its nonsense, these guys wont raise their values

Gaining a fourth instead of a fifth at the loss of development time isnt worth it
But we do need more experienced tank commanders on the front lines.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I loved when Marty demoted Slav so he could put Drouin on the PP, then Drouin coughs up the puck a few times. I tried to like Marty, I thought he would be different.. he's just another puppet and turning out to be a total loser behind the bend. Why would you demote the kid when he had chemistry with Anderson and starting to bust out the last 5 games? Marty is pissing me off

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have no issue with vets playing regular shifts but use the youngsters in key situations like late in the game down 1 or give PP.

MSL is doing it here and there but not as much as some fans want? Makes you wonder if we have gone overboard with trying to play coach or GM over the years eh?

MSL is a players coach but he's balancing ice time and oppertunity to his best ability. Imagine if he placed Slaf in the top 6 to start the season and he drowned to a point where he confidence is shattered? That's not good for development.

Guhle looks mentally tired to me. 20 min a game in his age 20 season is rare. Very rare. And we want him to play more?

I loved when Marty demoted Slav so he could put Drouin on the PP, then Drouin coughs up the puck a few times. I tried to like Marty, I thought he would be different.. he's just another puppet and turning out to be a total loser behind the bend. Why would you demote the kid when he had chemistry with Anderson and starting to bust out the last 5 games? Marty is pissing me off

I think betting against MSL on his ability to mentor young players is foolish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad