Worst swan songs

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
go on?

it's not like we witnessed his skills evaporate or anything, he was still just under a point-per-game in his last 50 games.

i think it's more the fact that after that game a snowblower almost cut off his hand and that was it, there wasn't any advanced warning that it would be his last game

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Chelios, he wasn't even a shadow of his former self last season.
You saw absolutely no evidence that he was once one of the best in the league.

Ron Francis and Lindros in their final 2 seasons were both pretty sad.

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
Rhiessan71 said:
Ron Francis and Lindros in their final 2 seasons were both pretty sad.
In what should have been Ron Francis' last game, I believe he was a healthy scratch. sad.

Doug Gilmour having his knee torn apart in his second period back as a Leaf and never playing again. He didnt even get a chance to play at home, which would have been quite the sight.

Phil Housley was absolutely horrendous in his 3 or 4 game stint in Toronto to finish his impressive career. The final time he suited up in the nhl, he played a 1:04 in a game that went to double overtime.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Dickie Moore was an all-star and a great scorer for many years, on some great Montreal teams. He had a couple of very forgettable combacks.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I hate to say it.....Bobby Orr but what a warrior!

Wayne Gretzky traded to St Louis then onto NY.
Should have retired 2 or 3 years earlier!

Best retirements I can think of...
Barry Sanders
Jim Brown
Ken Dryden

Briere Up There*

Wayne Gretzky traded to St Louis then onto NY.
Should have retired 2 or 3 years earlier!

Why two years? Gretz could have skipped the last year but in his penultimate season he was tied for 3rd in league scoring, with HF pet Pavel Bure in his prime.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Mario's 2nd stint went out with a wimper. Similar to Sakic, he was still a reasonably productive player but health issues (irregular heart beat in Mario's case) finally ended it.

Jagr is another one, assuming he doesn't come back to NA. Fittingly, his last game was in Pittsburgh after the Pens elminated the Rangers.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Mario's 2nd stint went out with a wimper. Similar to Sakic, he was still a reasonably productive player but health issues (irregular heart beat in Mario's case) finally ended it.

Jagr is another one, assuming he doesn't come back to NA. Fittingly, his last game was in Pittsburgh after the Pens elminated the Rangers.

At the very least (for Rangers fans, at least), his last game in NY was very memorable.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Dave Andreychuk really should have hung them up after the Cup in 2004 instead of trying to come back again after the lockout.

Scott Stevens and Al MacInnis, two great defensemen who were injured in their final seasons and didn't play again.

Ron Francis being a healthy scratch for what would have been his final game was one of the most classless moves I can remember. Shame he had to go out that way.

I remember Grant Fuhr's final season in Calgary and it being evident that he'd hung on one year too long. The final game was in Calgary against the Oilers, and a large contingent of Oiler fans headed down to the Saddledome to bid farewell to an Oiler legend. To the dismay of many, Fuhr didn't get the starting assignment in goal that night. But he came out and played the third period, with the coach explaining afterwards that he didn't want to start Fuhr an risk him getting lit up and embarrassed in his final game (this was happening with regularity by that point). So in the end, it was actually a classy move by the Flames, but boy were us Oiler fans steamed at the beginning. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Paul Coffey?

Played 18 games with the Bruins his last season, some guy named Ray also retired after the 2000-01 season and got most of the headlines.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Also, John LeClair, Gary Roberts, and Dave Andreychuk: all 3 players ended up being waived and passed on by the rest of the league before finally giving it up.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
How about Michael Nylander? Theo Fleury also had one of the most undignified exits I can remember. Even his comeback last season was a mere publicity stunt for his book.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Jagr was one of the top 3 forwards in the 2008 playoffs and I think he tied Crosby for PPG.

The Rangers sucked. Jagr certainly didnt.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Messier from 1997 onward was completely useless and failed to make the playoffs in 7 straight seasons.

He was a turnover machine.

he was not useless for 7 straight seasons. This is basically a perception Canuck fans have spread. He was never actually useless. At age 43 he still put up 18 goals and almost 50 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad