Worst skating technique in the NHL?

Legobbles

Mar 10, 2016
Halifax, NS
I think the thing with Yak is that he actually has decent agility and edgework. That's what makes him look so skittery and waterbug-like. But he doesn't seem to have any top-end speed or explosiveness. For a guy who has to rely on his natural abilities rather than hockey sense, the lack of ability to separate himself from defenders keeps him from being effective.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This thread should start and end with Leon Draisiatl.

Dude can scoot...but man hes got an ugly stride.

Disagree. I think his stride looks quite good these days actually.

Lucic looks really bad, like he's skating in mud.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Bobby Ryan,

Mark Stone (love that guy)

Claude Giroux is a freaky skater, but certainly gets the job done

Giroux does have an odd stride. His upper body is more upright than normal. I skate the exact same way. He's much better than me though :laugh:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
There are not nearly as many bad skaters in the NHL as HF would lead you to believe. According to these posters who I'm sure all skate perfectly, almost everyone looks 'awkward'. These are some of the worst threads.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
As one of the strongest skaters in the league?

Wrong thread.

Lots of power in his strides, but kind of awkward skating technique. He is easily recognizable on the ice... well, not so much anymore... his skating still is though. lol

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Not a lengthly NHL career but Emile Poirier is ridiculously fast with the worse stride I've seen from a pro who didnt make his way by punching faces.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Phaneuf. Looks like he is pushing himself forward, weird to describe it...

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
David Clarkson.

Don't know if his career will continue, but this guy falls down on his own more often than any player I've ever watched.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think the thing with Yak is that he actually has decent agility and edgework. That's what makes him look so skittery and waterbug-like. But he doesn't seem to have any top-end speed or explosiveness. For a guy who has to rely on his natural abilities rather than hockey sense, the lack of ability to separate himself from defenders keeps him from being effective.

I wouldn't say Nail doesn't have any explosiveness. Quite the opposite actually. It's just that it's only in 1st gear. He gets up to speed quickly and then just can't pull away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad