Worst Simpsons episodes

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The Principal and the Pauper - the beginning of the downfall of The Simpsons.

Lisa Goes Gaga - An exceptional example of how bad the show is now.

Reactions: extra skater

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I saw one where a gorilla kidnapped Bart or something like that.

That show got too popular for its own good.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

That is the last episode I have ever seen haven't seen any episodes after that except for rewatching old episodes from the 90's

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

i havent watched anything outside of the first probably 12-13 seasons but holy shit

just looking at the imdb ratings, episodes are still hitting like 6-7 usually but lisa does gaga is 4/10

impressive

Reactions: Roman Fell

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The Principal and the Pauper is a pretty good episode. Really. I mean it. And it is considerably better than anything from the Simpsons from the past 15-18 years. Easily.

In the context of how good the show was back then (Oakley-Weinstein years), yeah it's a bit sub-par. But I think some people misunderstand this one - it's a novelty episode, and is wild and wacky and unbelievable - like most of the late Oakley-Weinstein content. That's the whole point. And it has good jokes.

I just don't get the hate. Watch literally anything from this show since 9/11 and marvel at how awful it is. Then compare it to The Principal and the Pauper and tell me with a straight face that it's a bad episode. No way, Jose.

I can even think of way worse episodes from the classic years. The Twisted World of Marge Simpson, Realty Bites, The Trouble With Trillions. And all of them still gold compared to what comes later.

To correct answer to this thread's question is: Literally Any Simpsons Episode From This Century.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The Principal and the Pauper is a pretty good episode. Really. I mean it. And it is considerably better than anything from the Simpsons from the past 15-18 years. Easily.

In the context of how good the show was back then (Oakley-Weinstein years), yeah it's a bit sub-par. But I think some people misunderstand this one - it's a novelty episode, and is wild and wacky and unbelievable - like most of the late Oakley-Weinstein content. That's the whole point. And it has good jokes.

I just don't get the hate. Watch literally anything from this show since 9/11 and marvel at how awful it is. Then compare it to The Principal and the Pauper and tell me with a straight face that it's a bad episode. No way, Jose.

I can even think of way worse episodes from the classic years. The Twisted World of Marge Simpson, Realty Bites, The Trouble With Trillions. And all of them still gold compared to what comes later.

To correct answer to this thread's question is: Literally Any Simpsons Episode From This Century.

Blasphemy. Whitey Ford getting pelted on pretzel night is timeless comedy.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
If we're pointing fingers at season 9, I choose Lisa the Simpson. Pretty lazy smart vs. dumb, men vs. women humor that would feel right in place in a BBT episode.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I can't imagine that any of the episodes that I've seen and disliked in its first 15 or so seasons are anything close to as awful as the episodes that I haven't seen (or have seen and don't remember because it was so unremarkable) in the decades of seasons after that, so it's kind of impossible to have an answer to this that I can feel good about.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Hard to really pick one out after the late 90's. There were a maybe a few good ones from the early-2000's, but it just became really easy to ignore the Simpson's after about 10-11 seasons.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
That one where they go to Florida and features Kid Rock made me give up on the Simpson's. I still watched the occasional episode after that, but it stopped being regular Sunday night viewing after that. Even before, the show had been disappointing for a few years, but I stuck with it until that one.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
After the movie is really where I stopped watching. The prime was brilliant and at least to me it was still enjoyable up to the movie.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
assuming we're limiting this analysis to episodes from the 90s, I don't think it's a secret that the Simpsons in seasons 1 and 2 hadn't found the formula yet that made them truly funny. There are several lines that are pretty funny, but the characters in the early years are very different from the Golden Age. Homer was really surly and abusive, so many of his early jokes were that he was just always angry at everything. Once he mellows and the gags are about his incompetence and general idiocy it's such a smoother ride. Marge didn't have much of a personality at first, she was just the anxious housewife, and while she rarely did the heavy lifting on most jokes during the prime years it was always hilarious whenever she was able to setup a line you never saw coming. Bart shifted from the lovable slacker to being able to play just about any role necessary, and so many of his jokes are just him saying or doing something that no ten-year-old boy could ever possibly fathom. Lisa was always the voice of morality but she became the only character in the family who can really pull off dry humor. Maggie went from falling over to fearless ninja. Lots of the side characters stepped out of their niche and evolved new dimensions, or showed up in places you wouldn't expect.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That episode where Lisa enrolls in College and Milhouse rats her out I thought was kind of weak. There was another one either shortly before or after where Marge received breast implants that I also thought was weak but the former was where the show started becoming less tolerable (this was 2002-ish). That was also around the time that every episode featured a celebrity, and not many interesting ones either (I think Paris Hilton was one, gag), and every season debut was a Treehouse of Horror that I was never really a fan of. I'm of the opinion that the movie saved the show, because there were about 4-5 seasons that it was really awful before the movie.

Looking back on it, FOX had a lot of awful programming in the early to mid 2000s. For a while the only reason I was watching was their NFL and World Series coverage.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Been going through the whole show on D+... damn you forget how many quality episodes there were. I'm on like season 3 and it has been super enjoyable. Sad I'll have to stop after around 11.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Like many others, I checked out of the series a long time ago. Grew up during the good seasons and I kept up for the most part during my college years (1998-2002), but I joined a hockey league after graduation which played on Sunday nights so I started missing episodes back then. Even after DVR became standard, I never did quite have any desire to get back into the show.

There was one episode in particular (Marge vs. Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples and Teens - Season 15, episode 8) which aired January 4, 2004. My beer league must've had the day off for New Year's, so I was at a college friend's house. He was renting a room to some random guy who didn't appear to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. The guy had the episode on and I decided to watch. I don't remember laughing once during the episode and the guy was cracking up throughout. So that episode always was symbolic for me since I can't remember actively sitting down and watching a new episode after that (not counting the movie).

And from what I remember, the guy would start bouncing rent checks shortly thereafter. [/coolstorybro]

Reactions: HisIceness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad