Worst Season Post-Lockout?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't followed this season as closely as I have others because the Rangers have sucked but I think that this is the best season post-lockout from what I've seen. But what's the worst?

This will be LONG!

*****Warning, I might offend some people with my criticism of their teams, but this includes the Rangers*****

So let's start with the regular season. That season saw the Bud Light version of the 2010-2011 Canucks win the Presidents' trophy with the fewest amount of points by any Presidents' trophy winner since the lockout, I believe. I remember their own fans not thinking much of the team. Now mind you, they just finished a season where they made it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and a fantastic Presidents' trophy winning team that was #1 in most team stats. Still that team kind of was good but not amazing most of the year from what I remember and finally overcame a Rangers team that fell ass backwards into a 109 point season, on the last day or so. I seem to remember that the St. Louis Blues were one their biggest competitors. Those were the Blues, I believe pre-Tarasenko. They were fantastic defensively. A little too fantastic. I feel like they'd go weeks before they wouldn't allow more than 2 goals in a game and usually didn't allow more than one. It was excruciating. They didn't have much of an offense (21st in the league at 2.51). So watching their games was almost fun as watching a baseball preseason game.

In the east, the aforementioned Rangers were a slightly better version of the 8th seeded team from the year before that got embarrassed by the Capitals in the first round who got swept by the Lightning the next round. I'm exaggerating a bit. Gaborik was infinitely better that season and they did get Richards. Lundqvist had his best season. That was also when our D was pretty solid and Torts had a hell of a season. But that team in way, shape, or form was a 109 point team. But there they were leading the league in points most of the season. Had 4 or 5 separate 5+ game winning streaks that season. Anyway, that was a stressful team to watch, although they did somehow manage to come in 11th in goal scoring with 2.71 goals per game. Which this season would be 25th!!! People love to tell Rangers fans how mediocre the 2014 was, but the 2012 team made the 2014 team look like the 76 Canadians. Anyway, their biggest rivals that season were Boston who at one point in that season looked like a combination of the 84 Oilers and the 76 Canadians. And then some time mid-season started looking like barely a playoff team. The Penguins were pretty good, but it was back when they were Crosby, Malkin, James Neal, and a bunch of other guys. And the Flyers that once lost a 9-8 game to the Winnipeg Jets that finished the season with 84 points and no one was surprised even a little bit. The Devils were kind of an afterthought in the regular season. Their decent record was propped up by being like 50-0 in shootouts.

Now in the playoffs... Let's remember that was after and before the Hawks were good. That was after the Wings were good. That was in the "how the f*** did the Pens lose in the playoffs again" Penguins era. Anyway, long story short it allowed an 8th seeded team albeit one with a solid trade deadline and a top 2 goalie, run roughshod on the league. They beat the aforementioned weak Presidents' trophy winners. Then they beat the St. Louis Blues in their first year of being good before they had their offense and I believe with Pietrangelo injured at least a couple of those games. Then they got to feast on two mediocre teams in the WCF and SCF in Phoenix and NJ (relatively speaking of course).

In the east we had the Bruins losing to one of the more mediocre Capitals teams of the last decade in the first round, even though they won every game like 8-0 for a month in November. The one fun series where the goaltending and defense made the 80s goaltending and defense look like the 95 Devils, was between the Pens and Flyers. Then of course the Flyers got embarrassed next round by a one season wonder in NJ that should have lost to Florida (making their first playoff appearance since 99) in the first round. And the Rangers plodded along spending 90% of games in their zone blocking shots and winning 2-1 and series 4-3. Then they met the juggernaut Devils who have not been heard from since 2003 and haven't been heard from since and Lundqvist was burned out from the team having a Corsi of 1% in front of him and obviously lost.

Of course all this culminated in the most boring conference finals ever where the 4 teams that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy to watch made it in LA, Phoenix, NYR, and NJD. And the final was as boring of a final as I can remember. Of course worst of all this started the mini-dynasty of the post-lockout version of the 90s Devils, the LA Kings.

TL/DR The 2011-2012 season sucked because there was no scoring, no exciting teams, it was before and after actual exciting teams played, and it brought us the worst Conference Final in history and one of the worst SC Finals in history.

Last edited:

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
No THIS was EASILY the worst NHL season, probably EVER

This is the year when they finally jumped the shark, with their sanitizing of the game, all these stupid rules

Hockey as a game is to be played and called relative to what is actually happening in a game, whatever idiot got the idea that hockey needed to be called like frigging baseball should be forced to go 12 rounds with Probert's ghost.

What possible entertainment value is there in picking apart every single frigging offside call with a video review "But we've got to get it RIGHT"

Yes, but YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT RIGHT IS!

Right in hockey is embracing the human error factor, of refs players ect. the RIGHT call is the one the ref makes because that's what he thought happened or because he's gotten a feel for the game and is managing it to be the most entertaining spectacle possible,

That system creates emotion, energizes fans and players, hearing the home crowd freak out on a refs call and then cheering their team to avenge themselves was ENTERTAINING, watching some dude talk to some guy on the phone IS NOT FUN

This year more than ever I felt the absence of emotion from the removal of fighting, and now every player is the same, everyone plays the system, I used to watch certain teams because of the on-ice personalities of the players, that's GONE

This season I watched less hockey than I have in 25 years, reason? It is BORING

They are choking the life out of this game for reasons that don't even make sense

For the first time ever I am starting to contemplate the possibility that NHL hockey is no longer entertaining to me, and that I may have to consider letting it go

Last edited:

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
It’s slowly getting worse, IMO, due to a lack of consistency from DoPS and too many video reviews.

Oh and Sens sucked.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Canadiens....not Canadians. Need the snooty accent on the last syllable. ;)

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I haven't followed this season as closely as I have others because the Rangers have sucked but I think that this is the best season post-lockout from what I've seen. But what's the worst?

This will be LONG!

*****Warning, I might offend some people with my criticism of their teams, but this includes the Rangers*****

So let's start with the regular season. That season saw the Bud Light version of the 2010-2011 Canucks win the Presidents' trophy with the fewest amount of points by any Presidents' trophy winner since the lockout, I believe. I remember their own fans not thinking much of the team. Now mind you, they just finished a season where they made it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and a fantastic Presidents' trophy winning team that was #1 in most team stats. Still that team kind of was good but not amazing most of the year from what I remember and finally overcame a Rangers team that fell ass backwards into a 109 point season, on the last day or so. I seem to remember that the St. Louis Blues were one their biggest competitors. Those were the Blues, I believe pre-Tarasenko. They were fantastic defensively. A little too fantastic. I feel like they'd go weeks before they wouldn't allow more than 2 goals in a game and usually didn't allow more than one. It was excruciating. They didn't have much of an offense (21st in the league at 2.51). So watching their games was almost fun as watching a baseball preseason game.

In the east, the aforementioned Rangers were a slightly better version of the 8th seeded team from the year before that got embarrassed by the Capitals in the first round who got swept by the Lightning the next round. I'm exaggerating a bit. Gaborik was infinitely better that season and they did get Richards. Lundqvist had his best season. That was also when our D was pretty solid and Torts had a hell of a season. But that team in way, shape, or form was a 109 point team. But there they were leading the league in points most of the season. Had 4 or 5 separate 5+ game winning streaks that season. Anyway, that was a stressful team to watch, although they did somehow manage to come in 11th in goal scoring with 2.71 goals per game. Which this season would be 25th!!! People love to tell Rangers fans how mediocre the 2014 was, but the 2012 team made the 2014 team look like the 76 Canadians. Anyway, their biggest rivals that season were Boston who at one point in that season looked like a combination of the 84 Oilers and the 76 Canadians. And then some time mid-season started looking like barely a playoff team. The Penguins were pretty good, but it was back when they were Crosby, Malkin, James Neal, and a bunch of other guys. And the Flyers that once lost a 9-8 game to the Winnipeg Jets that finished the season with 84 points and no one was surprised even a little bit. The Devils were kind of an afterthought in the regular season. Their decent record was propped up by being like 50-0 in shootouts.

Now in the playoffs... Let's remember that was after and before the Hawks were good. That was after the Wings were good. That was in the "how the **** did the Pens lose in the playoffs again" Penguins era. Anyway, long story short it allowed an 8th seeded team albeit one with a solid trade deadline and a top 2 goalie, run roughshod on the league. They beat the aforementioned weak Presidents' trophy winners. Then they beat the St. Louis Blues in their first year of being good before they had their offense and I believe with Pietrangelo injured at least a couple of those games. Then they got to feast on two mediocre teams in the WCF and SCF in Phoenix and NJ (relatively speaking of course).

In the east we had the Bruins losing to one of the more mediocre Capitals teams of the last decade in the first round, even though they won every game like 8-0 for a month in November. The one fun series where the goaltending and defense made the 80s goaltending and defense look like the 95 Devils, was between the Pens and Flyers. Then of course the Flyers got embarrassed next round by a one season wonder in NJ that should have lost to Florida (making their first playoff appearance since 99) in the first round. And the Rangers plodded along spending 90% of games in their zone blocking shots and winning 2-1 and series 4-3. Then they met the juggernaut Devils who have not been heard from since 2003 and haven't been heard from since and Lundqvist was burned out from the team having a Corsi of 1% in front of him and obviously lost.

Of course all this culminated in the most boring conference finals ever where the 4 teams that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy to watch made it in LA, Phoenix, NYR, and NJD. And the final was as boring of a final as I can remember. Of course worst of all this started the mini-dynasty of the post-lockout version of the 90s Devils, the LA Kings.

TL/DR The 2011-2012 season sucked because there was no scoring, no exciting teams, it was before and after actual exciting teams played, and it brought us the worst Conference Final in history and one of the worst SC Finals in history.
Too add on, 2012 had the weakest draft since 99.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

As that was also the year of The Former #7 and the Nash trade, Jackets fans will wholeheartedly agree with this conclusion.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
2005-06 saw the debuts of Crosby and Ovechkin, but it also saw the Hurricanes beat the 8 seed Oilers in the SCF, and seemingly unlimited power plays because of all the penalties being called.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No THIS was EASILY the worst NHL season, probably EVER

This is the year when they finally jumped the shark, with their sanitizing of the game, all these stupid rules

Hockey as a game is to be played and called relative to what is actually happening in a game, whatever idiot got the idea that hockey needed to be called like frigging baseball should be forced to go 12 rounds with Probert's ghost.

What possible entertainment value is there in picking apart every single frigging offside call with a video review "But we've got to get it RIGHT"

Yes, but YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT RIGHT IS!

Right in hockey is embracing the human error factor, of refs players ect. the RIGHT call is the one the ref makes because that's what he thought happened or because he's gotten a feel for the game and is managing it to be the most entertaining spectacle possible,

That system creates emotion, energizes fans and players, hearing the home crowd freak out on a refs call and then cheering their team to avenge themselves was ENTERTAINING, watching some dude talk to some guy on the phone IS NOT FUN

This year more than ever I felt the absence of emotion from the removal of fighting, and now every player is the same, everyone plays the system, I used to watch certain teams because of the on-ice personalities of the players, that's GONE

This season I watched less hockey than I have in 25 years, reason? It is BORING

They are choking the life out of this game for reasons that don't even make sense

For the first time ever I am starting to contemplate the possibility that NHL hockey is no longer entertaining to me, and that I may have to consider letting it go

This is I think the third season with the offside challenge and this year punish you for challenging offside and getting it wrong. So not sure why you'd choose this year to highlight that.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
2012 was also the reason Ovechkin suddenly put up 65 points somehow - I'm still not sure how that happened. Meanwhile, Crosby only played 22 games.

However, Stamkos did score 60 goals. Malkin had a great season. As in 2014, the Leafs fell apart more than half-way through the season.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
2012 playoffs were awesome IMO. Really damn physical and you could just feel someone was going to get their head taken off. And then of course Torres plowed Hossa in the head and then of course the total shitshow that was the Flyers/Penguins series.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
2012 was also the reason Ovechkin suddenly put up 65 points somehow - I'm still not sure how that happened. Meanwhile, Crosby only played 22 games.

However, Stamkos did score 60 goals. Malkin had a great season. As in 2014, the Leafs fell apart more than half-way through the season.
kane also only had 66 points though

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
2012 playoffs were awesome IMO. Really damn physical and you could just feel someone was going to get their head taken off. And then of course Torres plowed Hossa in the head and then of course the total ****show that was the Flyers/Penguins series.

I liked those playoffs, though the 2012 SCF was pretty bland.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Last year was honestly terrible. The playoffs were a total abomination. The Penguins got outplayed in the majority of 3 of their 4 series and their goaltending stole them games while the opposing team's Vezina goaltending suddenly started costing them series. It was an awful playoffs to watch because literally nobody wanted to see Pittsburgh win and it didn't look like they were going to win, but they somehow did it. :(

2012 was definitely a dud as well. I'm primarily a Sharks fan so I generally base my opinions off of how the year was for the Sharks as a whole but the Sharks 3-0 reverse sweep was 2014 and I thought 2014 was a pretty great year as a whole.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

That was the wrong season. I'm 99% sure, Ovechkin had a down year as did the Caps. I think it was 2009 when Ovechkin had 65 points.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The total ****show that was the Flyers/Penguins series.

I was at a restaurant and all of the guys (and my wife - huge hockey fan) had left their dates in the booths to crowd around the bar as both teams kept scoring again and again and again.

Both goalies were absolute trash.

We were like, playoff hockey?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
2011-12 was an amazing season.

Even though it was only 6 years ago, it feels like a completely different NHL. There were real rivalries, there were still plenty of goons, plenty of fights, still had big hits. The Rangers were far less talented than the 2014 and 2015 teams but that team was my favorite I ever watched, the winter classic and the HBO show really added to that.

Stamkos hit 60 goals that year (last time anyone got even close to doing that), Malkin was an absolute beast with Crosby missing most of the year, and the Kings had one of the greatest playoff performances we've ever seen. Plus Hank won his Vezina which is awesome.

Reactions: BHD

mike dad bab clock

May 2, 2016
I'm not sure about worst season but I agree with the current season being good despite the obvious inconsistencies. For one, I love that they started cracking down on slashing penalties. Using your stick to impede the process of a player out-skating you should never be a part of hockey. It allows quick, skilled players to do their thing without worrying about a wack on the wrist. Gaudreau is a good example of a player who in previous years was constantly slashed on the wrists/hands that would often not get called, whereas now they get it right most of the time (especially earlier in the season). A bit of a tangent, but that's my two cents.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
That was the wrong season. I'm 99% sure, Ovechkin had a down year as did the Caps. I think it was 2009 when Ovechkin had 65 points.

No, it was in 2012. He won the Hart and Pearson in 2009 and scored 110 points.

After their elimination at the hands on Montreal in 2010, the Capitals focused on becoming more of a defensive team and he fell off his peak form. Then he led the NHL in goals again in 2013.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

It was the 2012 season with Dale Hunter as coach. Still popped in 38 goals which as a "down season" is simply incredible. 2012 was also just another hilariously disappointing Capitals playoff loss in a string of hilariously disappointing Capital playoff losses. My favorite playoff tradition.

The 3OT Gaborik winner and then the Joel Ward high stick double minor in Game 5. Richards ties it with 7.7 to go and then Staal with the quick OT winner off the faceoff.

Good times.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007

This will be LONG!

Now in the playoffs... Let's remember that was after and before the Hawks were good. That was after the Wings were good. That was in the "how the **** did the Pens lose in the playoffs again" Penguins era. Anyway, long story short it allowed an 8th seeded team albeit one with a solid trade deadline and a top 2 goalie, run roughshod on the league. They beat the aforementioned weak Presidents' trophy winners. Then they beat the St. Louis Blues in their first year of being good before they had their offense and I believe with Pietrangelo injured at least a couple of those games. Then they got to feast on two mediocre teams in the WCF and SCF in Phoenix and NJ (relatively speaking of course).

There is no such thing as worst season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad