Worst playoff exit of the last 20 years?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Went with the '96 loss to the Avs, the Lemieux/Draper incident, then watching Colorado win the Cup. REALLY disliked that team, although it did set the table for some intense matchups.

Can't argue w/ anyone who voted for the 06 series loss to the Oilers, though... that Edm team was so annoying to watch. And Roloson played completely out of his mind.

I'm in the same boat with TZE and RWN in that losses don't really bother me anymore, likely a product of getting older with kids and responsibilities taking up time & energy, and probably just not being as invested in the team. As a Red Sox fan, the Wings losing to the Avs in '96 reminds me of the Sox losing to the Yankees and Aaron F***ing Boone in the 2003 ALCS. The loss absolutely sucked, but the championship the following season was fantastic.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
easily 09. much easier to get over a 1st round upset than being just 1 win away from winning back to back cups

WingsFan2002

Jul 25, 2013
Michigan
The 2003 1st round exit against the Mighty Ducks was just insane. First, we lost the final game of the season at Chicago and in the process finished 2nd in the West, just a point behind Dallas. Initially I thought it was a good thing because Edmonton scared me more than Anaheim and there was no way we could lose to the Mighty Ducks. Hell, we had swept them twice before in the playoffs. Game 1 we go to OT and Robitaille scores (so we think) and we win the game. I was watching on UPN50 and Mickey went nuts with his famous "This game is over gang". But wait... they go to replay and it shows that he hit the post. After that we end up losing in Triple OT and the rest is history... :facepalm:

This was the only video I could find. It's from the TSN broadcast so no Mickey and "This game is over gang". Wish someone had the UPN footage because Ken and Mick thought the game was over and I was jumping up and down. If that game thought me anything, it was to never celebrate prematurely. I will always wonder how things might have be different had we won that game. After game one, Giguere became our nightmare and we lost every game by a goal. I will never forget game four when Sergei tied the game in the final minute (his last goal as a Wing) and everyone thought maybe now we had the momentum, only to lose in OT.

Last edited:

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
I'm still bitter as hell about 2009 because the NHL (Colin Campbell anyways) just decided after Game 2 that the instigator rule can be selectively enforced. Not only that, but they can just wave a wand and overrule the decision made by the referee's on ice; who had charged Geno Malkin with an instigator penalty. What Malkin did to Henrik Zetterberg at the end of Game 2 was a suspendable offense and you'll never be able to convince me otherwise.

Yeah, we collapsed during that series and gave it away to the Penguins. And yeah, what I'm going to say probably makes me sound like a whiny baby, living in the past, but so be it. If Geno gets suspended after Game 2 for going after Zetterberg I have no doubt in my mind we win that series handily. However, he's allowed to punk Zetterberg, which intern motivated his team and got them up for the series. I'll never stop being mad about Colin Campbell's decision on that one.

WingsFan2002

Jul 25, 2013
Michigan
I
Yeah, we collapsed during that series and gave it away to the Penguins. And yeah, what I'm going to say probably makes me sound like a whiny baby, living in the past, but so be it. If Geno gets suspended after Game 2 for going after Zetterberg I have no doubt in my mind we win that series handily. However, he's allowed to punk Zetterberg, which intern motivated his team and got them up for the series. I'll never stop being mad about Colin Campbell's decision on that one.
I don't think the game 2 incident mattered because we won game five 5-0 and took a 3-2 lead. The difference IMO (besides our injuries) was Fleury bouncing back in game 6 and 7. He has never played like that since... and oh yeah don't forget Max **** Talbot. :madfire:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I don't think the game 2 incident mattered because we won game five 5-0 and took a 3-2 lead. The difference IMO (besides our injuries) was Fleury bouncing back in game 6 and 7. He has never played like that since... and oh yeah don't forget Max **** Talbot. :madfire:

Yeah, the Malkin non-suspension bugged me at the time, but the Wings did go up 3-2 in the series and couldn't close out the Pens in the next 2 games, so they had their shots. I give Pittsburgh credit for rising to the challenge of tying the series on the road in game 6 and winning game &, and give some level of fault to the Wings for failing to close out the series when they had the chance. I don't blame the L on the Malkin non-suspension, though.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Went with the '96 loss to the Avs, the Lemieux/Draper incident, then watching Colorado win the Cup. REALLY disliked that team, although it did set the table for some intense matchups.

Can't argue w/ anyone who voted for the 06 series loss to the Oilers, though... that Edm team was so annoying to watch. And Roloson played completely out of his mind.

I'm in the same boat with TZE and RWN in that losses don't really bother me anymore, likely a product of getting older with kids and responsibilities taking up time & energy, and probably just not being as invested in the team. As a Red Sox fan, the Wings losing to the Avs in '96 reminds me of the Sox losing to the Yankees and Aaron F***ing Boone in the 2003 ALCS. The loss absolutely sucked, but the championship the following season was fantastic.

I'm kind of like that now except I get more frustrated depending on how we lost. 2009, 2011 and this year was very frustrating considering the circumstances however I'm pretty quick to get over it.

The 2009 Final aside (easily the worst loss for me) I'd have to say either Edmonton in 2006 or Nashville in 2012 considering we lost Yzerman and Lidstrom to retirement following those series'.

we like our team*

didn't the wings get away with covering up the puck in the crease twice in 09

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
didn't the wings get away with covering up the puck in the crease twice in 09

Tougher call then say having an extra guy on ice for a good 30 seconds, no? The NHL moved the schedule up. Those are fair complaints, but as time goes on what ultimately doomed us was the teams fault.

It was a hard fought series, we spit the bit at the finish line, disappointing sure, but I got over that one surprisingly fast. Sometimes you're going to get beat, it happens, the Wings had their chances in that series and they didn't execute. It likely cost Osgood a HHOF spot, through no fault of his own, that part in particular stinks. But it isn't like Pittsburgh didn't deserve to win.

Some of these teams on this list had no business winning or the series was dirtier and much more grating at least for me.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
09 - cannot stand that the Pens got to hoist, especially as Crosby was absent for all but the ceremony.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm still bitter as hell about 2009 because the NHL (Colin Campbell anyways) just decided after Game 2 that the instigator rule can be selectively enforced. Not only that, but they can just wave a wand and overrule the decision made by the referee's on ice; who had charged Geno Malkin with an instigator penalty. What Malkin did to Henrik Zetterberg at the end of Game 2 was a suspendable offense and you'll never be able to convince me otherwise.

They actually decided before that.

A player in the Eastern Conference received an instigator penalty during the 2009 playoffs (before the finals) and had their suspension rescinded.

Malkin wasn't out there to send a message, so the suspension didn't apply. People need to let that one go, because it was perfectly in line with what the NHL had been doing in regards to that rule.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
'09 was the lowest I've ever felt as a Wings fan, simply because I did NOT want to be the one that let Crosby have his Cup, but other than that we absolutely blew that series.

But aside from that, I'd say that failing to complete the comeback against the Sharks wounded me the worst. Once again, I absolutely hate the Sharks and wanted to give them something to remember me by, but that turnover by Zetterberg late in the game still haunts me.

I was also REALLY broken up about this year's loss.

I guess that the Wings getting destroyed early or by a lesser team really doesn't bother me so much - I just tend to shrug my shoulders and say, "well, looks like our hearts weren't in it this year, time to move on." When the matches are close, when my heart is racing, that's when I feel the worst.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

Well, here you go. Don't stay up too late having fun.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.sports.hockey.nhl.det-redwings

EDIT: I just saw somebody dug up the old one you referenced. Holy smokes, that's funny reading some of those comments. I'm in a time machine.

Lots of HFers from there... HiHD, KL (puck poise), Elzivir, X8oD ...Doug Norris,
The wars between wings and avs and stars fans were fun... poor Blues fans always wanted to be part of the war, but Roman Turek, Grant Fuhr, Jon Casey, Chris Osgood, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad