Worst Overall Team Depth: 2008-09 Capitals vs. 2020-21 Oilers

Which roster had less depth?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I don’t think the Caps depth was even that bad was it? They had 3 solid scoring lines. Their defense wasn’t pretty though

Mar 26, 2010
I don’t think the Caps depth was even that bad was it? They had 3 solid scoring lines. Their defense wasn’t pretty though
No it was not. The Oilers are way worse.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Easily the Oilers.... Ryan Nugent Hopkins is one of the worst supporting 2nd line forwards I think I have ever seen. To think I used to give Val Filppula shit for years as a member of the Lightning. It was because I wanted him to pitch in and step up his game more. But at least HE was an actual role player. Can someone tell me why the Oilers should be throwing good money at this guy to do absolutely nothing when the pressure is on?

Late edit: this is what happens when coaches with "muh 200 foot game" fetishes coach all the skill out of a player's game. I don't fault RNH for that particular aspect

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It’s basically the same, but different positions. The Caps had good forward depth, but no defensive depth. The Oilers have good defensive depth but no forward depth.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Poor McDavid. The guy is so amazing and he's being absolutely wasted on that team. Almost no help at all.

I wonder who will demand a trade first.........McDavid or Eichel?

You have to think that's coming. They're both super talented, competitive players, and their best years are being pissed away.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The Oilers have no one of any significance outside of 3 or 4 players.

This should be 100 - 0

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Oilers have better D, but the Caps had better forward depth. I guess the Caps had better goaltending depth, but a worse starter.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The Oilers have better D, but the Caps had better forward depth. I guess the Caps had better goaltending depth, but a worse starter.

How terrible was the Washington defence? That's impressive, considering how trash the Oilers D depth is.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Their second highest scoring D-man was Milan Jurcina with 14 points.

On the third highest scoring team in the league.

They had Mike Green and a bunch of bottom pairing or AHL D-men.

In fairness, they also had Tom Poti, who was a decent offensive D-man who seemed to have an injury-affected year offensively. 13 points, but in only 52 games. He scored 29 points the year before, then scored 24 the following year.

Doesn't change the overall point much, though. Just think that it's a bit misleading to make it seem like it was Green then literally the next best offensive defender was Jurcina.

Reactions: Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
In fairness, they also had Tom Poti, who was a decent offensive D-man who seemed to have an injury-affected year offensively. 13 points, but in only 52 games. He scored 29 points the year before, then scored 24 the following year.

Doesn't change the overall point much, though. Just think that it's a bit misleading to make it seem like it was Green then literally the next best offensive defender was Jurcina.
Yeah, that's fair.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Their second highest scoring D-man was Milan Jurcina with 14 points.

On the third highest scoring team in the league.

They had Mike Green and a bunch of bottom pairing or AHL D-men.

even in spite of that though they were 3rd in the league in goals that year

their forward group was actually legitimately pretty deep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad