Worst NHL Team Ever?

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
Wow, your memory is good...:D
The OP asked for worst team EVER, not the worst one I've ever seen. That distinction goes to the 82-83 Hartford Whalers. 19-54-7. How that team ever won 19 games is beyond me. They had Ron Francis and... nobody. Check these goalie stats. Brutal.

Player Name GP Min GA GAA W L T Svs Pct EN SO
Greg Millen 60 3520 282 4.81 14 38 6 2056 0.863 3 1
Mike Veisor 23 1280 118 5.53 5 16 1 815 0.855 0 1

Phousse

Jul 28, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
The OP asked for worst team EVER, not the worst one I've ever seen. That distinction goes to the 82-83 Hartford Whalers. 19-54-7. How that team ever won 19 games is beyond me. They had Ron Francis and... nobody. Check these goalie stats. Brutal.

Player Name GP Min GA GAA W L T Svs Pct EN SO
Greg Millen 60 3520 282 4.81 14 38 6 2056 0.863 3 1
Mike Veisor 23 1280 118 5.53 5 16 1 815 0.855 0 1

How did they get a shutout each? :D

member 30781

But they don't belong in the pantheon of worst ever, IMO.

Maybe they're not even the worst Flyer team ever- how about those early 90s pre-Lindros teams?

Well they may have not technically been the worst, but for me they were. I cannot really relate to the early 90's teams because I was only born in 89. I started watching them the year they went to the cup.

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
the most recent terrible team has to be the 99-2000 Thrashers. Petr Buzek was an ALL STAR! seriously

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
The 50-51 Blackhawks were an interesting bad team.

They finished last at 13-47-10 and were 36 points out of fifth place!

They allowed 280 goals, which doesn't sound like much by today's standards, but it was 79 goals more than the next highest team. They allowed 4 goals/game in a year in which the top two teams allowed fewer than 2/game!

Now catch this: they actually had a 5-game winning streak and started the season 7-3-2!!!

After a win on February 1st, they went 1-19-1 in their last 21 games, including a 12-game losing streak to close out the season!!

And during that horrendous finale, they had losses where they allowed 10, 11 and 12 goals!!!!

WOW!!:facepalm:

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
The Caps lost 37 straight games on the road, finally defeating the California Golden Seals in Oakland near the end of the season.
I listened to that game over the Washington radio station as I was huddled in my bed at 1:00 a.m. in Long Island, NY. It was painful as my Seals were having a bad season as it was. The Caps carried a trash can around the dressing room like it was the Stanley Cup after the game.

All of the selections have been for single-season worst team but my Seals would have to be the choice for worst franchise as they never had a winning record from 67-68 through 77-78 (as Cleveland) and only made the playoffs twice, bowing out in the first round both times.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
1974-75 Caps is tough to beat, but I thought I'd point out that on the 1989-90 Nordiques team, rookie Joe Sakic finished with 102 points but was still a -40 for the year. The Nords finished the season with a 3-31-1 stretch (though some of those horrible losses are due to the fire sale they did to start the rebuild).

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Colorado Rockies sucked royally and all my friends knew it when I was growing up, the epitome of awful for my generation.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The 50-51 Blackhawks were an interesting bad team.

They finished last at 13-47-10 and were 36 points out of fifth place!

They allowed 280 goals, which doesn't sound like much by today's standards, but it was 79 goals more than the next highest team. They allowed 4 goals/game in a year in which the top two teams allowed fewer than 2/game!

Now catch this: they actually had a 5-game winning streak and started the season 7-3-2!!!

After a win on February 1st, they went 1-19-1 in their last 21 games, including a 12-game losing streak to close out the season!!

And during that horrendous finale, they had losses where they allowed 10, 11 and 12 goals!!!!

WOW!!:facepalm:

This year's Oilers are heading down a similar path. Started the season 6-2-2 (and still left two or three points on the table in the process), and also won five games in a row, all on the road no less, in the middle of December. Since the end of that winning streak they are 3-21-2. And two of the wins were against Toronto and Carolina. They won't be as bad as the Blackhawks, but I'd have to think five straight wins is close to the record for what will be a last place club.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
The Colorado Rockies sucked royally and all my friends knew it when I was growing up, the epitome of awful for my generation.

They had that bizarre season in 77-78 where they finished in 2nd place in the five-team Smythe Division with a record of 19-40-21.

This was back when the NHL insanely allowed 16 of 21 teams to make the playoffs.

That finished qualified them for the playoffs in the 16th slot, back when the first round was first overall plays 16th overall. In a BEST-OF-THREE series!!!

They lost to the Flyers in two close games, but a wrong bounce of the puck here or there could have made for a very embarassing situation for the NHL...

eastcoaster

Nov 22, 2009
Nova Scotia
It has to be the 1974-75 Capitals. Bill Mikkelson ended the season with a -82.

Mikkelson had a bad year but people overlook Jack Lynch who played only 20 games for the Caps that year and was minus 54 in those games. That's a minus 220 pace over an 80 game schedule. There were some incredible plus minus stats on that team.

I remember back in those days I could get the Washington games on the radio. The announcers tried to keep upbeat but I think they knew what they were dealing with.The only guys the Caps had who could even pass for big leaguers that year were Doug Mohns and Tommy Williams and their best days were long behind them.

I think one of the most interesting things was that Ron Low had a 5.45 goals against average that year and to prove it wasn't a fluke came back and posted the same 5.45 GAA the next seaon. How strange is that?

Definitely the worst team in the nearly fifty years I've been following hockey.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Not NHL, but I'll offer the short-lived Plattsburgh Pioneers of the 1984-85 QMJHL season:

They were the first American-based team in the league, and were only allowed to sign American players, and not allowed to have an expansion draft. As a result, the team had to sign prep school players who weren't going to make the NCAA.

The team started out with some potential, a 7-6 overtime loss, giving them one point. That would be the only point the team would earn that season, which lasted all of 17 games, all losses. Games were lost by scores of 13-0, 15-2, 17-1, 11-1, etc. The team was outscored 185-56 in those games, including a five game stretch where they lost by a combined 73-9 margin.

After 17 games, the QMJHL disbanded the team on account of financial reasons. The owner of the team, Denis Methot was also GM, coach, recriuter, marketer, etc. He complained that the league didn't help him, and only sent communications in French (I don't really know why he would expect anything different; not to mean an attack on Quebec, but more an ignorant thought by the owner thinking he would be different).

As the team was so terrible, the league did something drastic. All games played against Plattsburgh by other QMJHL teams were annuled, all points not counted towards player stats. The team was removed from history.

Some of the players were sent to other teams in the league, others, who had lost their NCAA eligibility, played in lower level minor leagues. The most notable Pioneer was probably John Torchetti, who coached the Panthers and Kings.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad
1977-78 Shawinigan Cataracts, QMJHL, 72 game season, 3 wins, 65 loses, 4 ties.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/qmjhl19701978.html

Wow, that's tremendous. They allowed 687 goals in a 72 game season. Their goal differential was -429. There were also 13 losses by 10+ goals that year, including two beauties by scores of 22-4 and 18-0.

GAA for the 2 starting goalies were 8.77 and 9.74 with both players appearing in 40+ games. I wonder what the save percentages were like. For the team SVPCT to be even over .800, they would have had to allow over 47 shots against a game.

And it looks like they also went through 4 head coaches in that one season.

What's also amazing is that the franchise had another horrible defensive season in 75-76 where they allowed 554 goals (7.69 GAA) and had a goal differential of -300. And this was with a completely different set of players. Although this team is still the '77 Habs in comparison to the atrocity above.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
1977-78 Shawinigan Cataracts, QMJHL, 72 game season, 3 wins, 65 loses, 4 ties.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/qmjhl19701978.html

WOW!!!
I few things I noticed...

- They had a guy named Sylvain Coté, which left me wondering.
- They had another guy named Serge Ménard, who was a really above-average winger in the IHL for a few years right after that season on a team that had at least 4 eventual NHL'er, no matter how "fringe" they were (the best being probably Lou Franceschetti)

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Not the Same

WOW!!!
I few things I noticed...

- They had a guy named Sylvain Coté, which left me wondering.
- They had another guy named Serge Ménard, who was a really above-average winger in the IHL for a few years right after that season on a team that had at least 4 eventual NHL'er, no matter how "fringe" they were (the best being probably Lou Franceschetti)

Not the same Sylvain Cote.

The wheels fell off - coaching problem was a big part.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
I listened to that game over the Washington radio station as I was huddled in my bed at 1:00 a.m. in Long Island, NY. It was painful as my Seals were having a bad season as it was. The Caps carried a trash can around the dressing room like it was the Stanley Cup after the game.

All of the selections have been for single-season worst team but my Seals would have to be the choice for worst franchise as they never had a winning record from 67-68 through 77-78 (as Cleveland) and only made the playoffs twice, bowing out in the first round both times.

It must have been that Doug Smith 1st round pick!!:naughty:

P.S. I'm a good friend of Smitty!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad